Running

Options

Replies

• ChristinaK69
    Options
    After walking for about a week I used telephone poles. Walk to one the run slow to the next as best you can. Walk if you must. Then walk, repeat. Consistency s the key.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    A good pair of shoes.

And Couch to 5K (C25K) or a similar interval programme.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Work up to it - don't go straight for the marathon. Start with walking, faster. Then brisk walk. Then intervals, so couple minutes walking then couple min running. I've just started too - but this seemed to help me. Set yourself a goal before each time & try to beat it next time!!

what she said
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Pfft! Don't http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx
    Lift weights instead, apparently :wink:

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous assertion, that one should lift weights for fear of death by running because a runner died- he was a heavy smoker earlier in life with other lifestyle risk factors that eventually caught up with him.

I agree with lifting weights being good, but the OP wants to run and shouldn't fear death by running. /smh
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    c25K nhs (uk) does free podcasts for this
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    In addition to C25K, I recommend working on your form to start with so you don't injure yourself. Many people heel strike because of the supportive shoes we are used to wearing. I was one of those people until I started getting a lot of hip pain. Here are a few videos that help explain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo

http://www.goodformrunning.com/learn-good-form-videos/166-forefoot-versus-midfoot-versus-heel-strike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkUqkdPQHis

Best answer! The videos were quite helpful. C25K is very good plan but in addition we have to know how to run properly. I was in week 6 of c25k but then knee pain hit me and was resting untill last Friday for nearly 3 weeks. Now my knees are better but I am starting C25k from week1 again and want improve my running style and go slow. For beginners like me Go slow should be the policy for first 4 weeks atleast.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Run slower than you even feel like is possible, keep going until you can't anymore. Walk until you've recovered. Run slowly again. Repeat until you're a runner.

Seriously, that's all it takes. It's the foundation for all beginner's running programs like C25K. The slow part is of absolutely critical importance.

^^this
  • GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what weight you guys all were when you first took up running/jogging? Im 237lb - can I do this without killing myself?!
  • GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what weight you guys all were when you first took up running/jogging? Im 237lb - can I do this without killing myself?!

And just to point out I am an avid walker. I could walk forever!
  • megfah
    megfah Posts: 61
    Options
    When I started, I did run-walk intervals by listening to music on my headphones and alternating with each new song. Not very precise, but fun.

Also, taking it slow is super important - my brother told me to run slowly enough that I could carry on a conversation. I still run only slightly faster than I do a brisk walk - but I do run consistently.

And, once you get going, sign up for a fun 5k race. Until I started enjoying running for its own sake, the only thing that made me get out there regularly was if I had a race coming up. I certainly didn't run those early races without stopping to walk, but the challenge and the atmosphere and the satisfaction of finishing were all super motivating.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of programs out there that help you 'work your way up' to a full run. the couch to 5k program really seems to be one of the biggest that i've seen people use.
    want to hear how I started running? no, well i will tell you anyways.........

in retrospect btw, i have never ran a day in my life. never wanted to, never thought I could, and never thought I would.

One day four years ago while at work, I had a really bad day. and by really bad day - I mean bad day. Some unprofessional B got in my face (so close I could see her lunch in her teeth) yelling at me for something that i had no involvement in. I didnt like her anyway but she got in my face for some one elses problem and I just happen to be the middle man in the situation. you know - wrong place wrong time kind of deal. well - i was basically 'warned' for the first time in my career at work verbally by my manager only because i said something BACK to this lady who got in my face yelling at me so because i said ONE thing back to her, i was marked as unprofessional. now mind you - as i said - i have never been marked for anything at work, and at that time i was 34. So that day i was SO MAD when I went home - i decided i need a stress reliever - one i'd never used before. I put on what tennis shoes i did have, what clothes I could run in and I set out for a run, until i could not run anymore. I ran 1.8 miles non stop for the first time ever in my life. I was 40 pounds over weight and I did not care. I remember at 1.5 miles i was like ok i am done....... but i didnt stop. I finished at 1.8 miles and WOW DID I FEEEL GREAT!!! Not only did i burn the stress off and forgot all about why i felt so bad to begin with. I also felt accomplished, proud, relieved, happy, ecstatic...... for myself!
    I have never quit running since.
    so whether you have stress to burn, fat to burn or you just want to run - go give it a shot. do the couch 2k5 program and see if that helps you.
    whatever works, give it a try.
    And remember, its MIND over MATTER.
    When your body is in REAL pain, walk. When your mind is saying let's stop - DONT. you keep telling yourself you CAN and WILL do this!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

And just to point out I am an avid walker. I could walk forever!

People do it at all different weights, it really will depend on your body. The mechanics of running and walking are different, and running is much harder on the joints. What you can do is take it slow. Add a few blocks of running (SLOWLY!) to your regular walk, and give it a couple days after to see how your joints react. Unfortunately, you must give it time, because joint feedback is not always immediate. If after a day or two your joints feel OK, then add a couple more blocks. If you do it this way, without pushing it too fast, you'll be able to get there safely. Risking a joint injury that could bench you from exercise completely is not at all worth it.
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would like to add if you are female..
    Invest in a good supportive bra!! :-)
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Youve been given a lot of good advice here so I can only add.... Avoid the Terrible Too's - Too much, too long, too hard.

Be patient & take a couple of days off between each run for a few weeks.
    Allowing your body to recover between each workout is a vital part of your training.
    Drink a lot of water to help your kidneys filter.
    Listen to your body, if you have pain (not soreness) stop. Ive been successful because Im a sissy. I will not run through an injury.

Once you build a good base then work on speed.

Running for most of us is a love affair, and love affairs get better with age.
    If you start running then you become an athlete. Welcome to our world.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Google "Hal Higdon" and it will give you his training plans. I started the Novice 1 plan for a 1/2 marathon and it is great
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Start with a run around the block. When you can do that, and not feel like you're going to die... add another block. And so on.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You'll be totally fine. I started a version of C25k that I modified with RunKeeper five weeks ago and it has been an amazing experience . I started (41 days ago exactly) at 340 and today I'm 316 (down 24lbs and 25 inches). The first time I went out, I just walked at a steady pace for one mile, then two, then three. When I could do that steadily, I added 20 and eventually 30 second sprints every eight and now every four minutes. You'll be amazed at how much faster and stronger you get in a short amount of time. In this short time, I've already competed in three 5ks. Actually, the first day I got back on MFP, I went to active.com and signed up for seven different 5ks (where walkers were welcome) for this winter and spring. It really kept me driven to improve.

Just look at this progress (and again, I'm morbidly obese and recovering from a fully severed achilles tendon from two years ago--you'll likely blow my numbers out of the water):

January 25th: 1:04 (Pace 20.40 per mile)
    February 3rd 5k: 1:01:02 (Pace 19.43 per mile)
    February 10 5k: 00:56:27 (Pace 18.13 per mile)

Just find tools and goals suited for you (I fell in love with Vibrams KMD LS, Runkeeper Pro on my iPhone, Great headphones, and a Polar Bluetooth HRM). The great thing about it is that you are only competing with yourself. You can totally do this!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25K.

As for the shoes what fixed a lot of my problems was taking up barefoot running. Now it's winter I'm in Merrill Barefoot Shoes (which I love but aren't at all barefoot). I have vibrams but for me they're not comfy with socks and it's just too cold not to have socks now. I'd tried C25K before and had all sorts of knee issues but this time I started it barefoot and it really did make a huge difference.
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I started, I did run-walk intervals by listening to music on my headphones and alternating with each new song. Not very precise, but fun.

Also, taking it slow is super important - my brother told me to run slowly enough that I could carry on a conversation. I still run only slightly faster than I do a brisk walk - but I do run consistently.

And, once you get going, sign up for a fun 5k race. Until I started enjoying running for its own sake, the only thing that made me get out there regularly was if I had a race coming up. I certainly didn't run those early races without stopping to walk, but the challenge and the atmosphere and the satisfaction of finishing were all super motivating.

This is good advice! I used to run to lose weight and it was hard to get started, and hard to keep going. I quit many times. When you sign up for a race, you automatically become an athlete instead of a chubby person trying to lose weight. My husband and I did a half-marathon a couple of years ago - never thought we could! It was hard, but we did it, and without even stopping to walk (we ran pretty slow for a lot of it). It felt so great to have done it. I loosely went by the Hal Higdon training schedule, except I never had time for the really long runs on the weekend. I plan to do two 1/2s this fall.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who would go for two miles- run a block walk a block- and just increase the amount she ran each week. That seems like a good plan.

Note: by "run" I mean "jog"....at a comfortable pace....

Me, I jut start running 2 miles and work my way up from there- but I've always been active. But going from 2 miles to 13 miles can't be all that different from going from zero miles to three- practice first in a way that is comfy, get a decent schedule going (2-3x's a week), push yourself gently, and when you really can't run, walk. Oh, and don't give up ;)