HRM and Boobs

Options
I bought a New Balance N4 HRM with chest strap a couple of weeks ago and I can't get it quite right. I did Les Mills Combat today and was POURING sweat. (yay!) but often my HRM said 110 (wha??!!). It bobs around from 110 to 165 in seconds. I know it's not correct. I stop to take my own HR so can tell it's off. I have it right up under my 38D boobs. It's moist from being licked (gross) and then from sweat. I can't get it up any higher under my breasts.

Anyone have thoughts? Help me out, folks? This is really frustrating and I don't want to ditch it and switch to my husband's wrist HRM.

Replies

• susannahsutton1
    Options
    So the boobs aren't an issue. I have 34ff and wear a hrm no problem. Boobs might be an issue if you are not wearing a decent sports bra. I have ones that frankly are a feat of engineering so nothing moves and the chest strap sits right below the strap of the bra. FYI I use freya under wired active or shock absorber. Both are great.

The fact it bobs between 110 and 160 is not uncommon and it can also be slightly behind what is actually happening. I promise wearing a chest strap heart rate monitor is the most accurate way to track calories burned. Rather than checking it at specific times, check calories burned at the end, but wait until your heart rate has dropped below 100 before stopping it. If you are sweating a lot expect to see between 500 and 800 burned per hour.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I agree the boobs have nothing to do with it. It should fasten securely under your boobs in the middle of your chest. Is it tight enough? Is the battery secure and a good battery?
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    it's probably not your breasts as they shouldn't be coming anywhere in contact with the HRM. You should be wearing it under your breasts and under your bra just below your breasts. It should be snug and not moving at all. Make sure you have a good stable connection before you start working out. And my required that I get the pads a bit wet before I put it on. I hope these tips help you.
  • lonecorndog
    Options
    Good to hear. I assumed they weren't. Not like mine are gigantic! I'll stop looking at it and let it be. Maybe I'm obsessing too much (yeah, um, that would be new for me.....).

I had assumed that maybe they were in the way of where the strap should be. My husband wears his higher than I do, so that was my thought.

The thing is brand new so I assume the batteries are good. I'll wait until it goes below 100 to stop it, and I'll check my overall. When I'm tracking my cals burned, then, should I just input the number on my monitor rather than using the database?
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Yes use hrm not the database. Database is pretty inaccurate unless you are the worlds most average average person.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am a guy and my HRM never swings unless I happen to run in an area that transmits radio frequency such as burglar alarms & communication. (stores, motels, businesses, industrial facilities)

Let us know if you run in these areas.