How many calories in horse meat?

Options
2»

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Not sure on the calories, but I understand that its high in protein - so a win surely?

Horses are leaner, so also lower in saturated fat. Win-win.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    LOL Once YEARS ago in my mom WW book there was Squirrel Meat......
    Squirrel is good..tastes like chicken but its tougher.
  • sjacks14
    sjacks14 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    LOL!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

Grey or red?
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Grey or red?

Gray is more ethical. Either way you need a couple of them for a proper meal.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    On a more serious note tho, if we don't even know what is in food, just how accurate is the calorific info on the packaging?

This is so true. We may as well guess with processed foods. At best they are an average guess, at worse, well it could be anything.

Personally I'm trying not to worry about it too much, or I would drive myself mad. I have no qualms eating horse, but I'd like to know its horse....
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'd eat horse.

I mean, I already eat wallaby, kangaroo, rabbit, quail, duck...

I find it hilarious that people are so freaked out over it really. Would they still buy it if it was labeled perfectly honestly?
  • apg2302
    apg2302 Posts: 667
    Options
    Ignore all the neigh sayers, I'd be chomping at the bit for a nice horse steak. High protein, low fat. What's nice to like hay?
    Odds on it tasting nice and juicy too?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'd eat horse.

I find it hilarious that people are so freaked out over it really. Would they still buy it if it was labeled perfectly honestly?

It's not the fact that its horse that's the problem. It's that a) you can't trust the label and b) you can't be sure that the animal that went into the product has been subject to the standard procedures for raising animals for consumption. If you dont know whats IN the product you don't know where it cane from. Chief of the concerns with horse is the presence of a antibiotic known as 'bute' which is carcinogenic.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'd eat horse.

It's not the fact that its horse that's the problem. It's that a) you can't trust the label and b) you can't be sure that the animal that went into the product has been subject to the standard procedures for raising animals for consumption. If you dont know whats IN the product you don't know where it cane from. Chief of the concerns with horse is the presence of a antibiotic known as 'bute' which is carcinogenic.

I think I'd rather eat horse than beef, considering how poorly raised a lot of commercial beef is. Makes me glad that it's hard to find anything BUT grass-fed beef in Tassie.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Calorie counts are estimates calculated from formulas built on averages. So they are very precise.