Difficulty losing weight close to GW?

Options
I am now currently at less than 10 kg from my goal weight and I find that it is increasingly harder to lose a good consistent amount of weight, even though I eat healthy throughout the week and exercise everyday. I have heard that the closer you are to your ideal weight, the harder it is to lose the remaining kgs. So I just wanted to ask what should I do in order to keep losing it in a consistent way (and I usually try to weight myself every 10/15 days).
Should I exercise more, once during the morning/afternoon and once more at night?

Any help will be very appreciated :flowerforyou:

Replies

• aemerso1
    Options
    I am pretty much in the same boat as you! I have only 4 lbs left until I hit my goal weight. One of the things I have been reading a lot about is weight-lifting. I have been using a kettle-bell for the past couple of weeks, which I really like, but I plan to start lifting heavier weights at the gym. Apparently, lifting heavier weights is what really helps to melt off those last couple of pounds while toning at the same time (you won't bulk up if you are on a calorie deficit). I also run 4-5 times a week (usually 3-4 miles a day), so that hopefully will continue to complement my weight loss.

But definitely continue a clean eating regimen and keep working out! Make sure your calorie deficit isn't too low as well. Though it may seem counter-intuitive, sometimes eating more calories can boost your weight loss!
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Anyone else, please?
  • JaimieAG
    Options
    Sure :).

Streamline your sleep schedule. The relationship between sleep and weight loss (& overall performance) is a tightly knit one. Even if you're currently getting 8hrs of sleep if your bedtime varies greatly from day to day you're operating as if you have jet lag. Jet lag increases cravings, slows weight loss & decreases performance during exercise and routine tasks. It's a neurological thing. When I'm in a rut and need to lose an extra lb the first thing I do is set a specific bed time and wake time and stick to it (weekends too). Mine is 11:00pm to 7:00am. Don't overlook this tip. I put it first because it's the most important one in my opinion. To me it's just as important (sometimes more important) than monitoring calorie intake.

Zig zag your calories. +100, -100, +200, -200, 0, etc. This seems to keep the body from settling into a routine.

Meditate. The brain knows your GW. The body doesn't know your GW. So why are the last 10lbs so hard? Maybe its because we stress about them :). I like guided meditation although it's a little... different. But it is refreshing. And soothing. And it does seem to connect mind & body.

Try New Sports. My routine includes HIIT (x2/wk) and ballet (x3/wk). Things that feel slightly unnatural? Soccer and tennis. Go for your soccer and tennis. Whatever that might be.

Fill your day. Don't be bored. Go do stuff. Enjoy your new body. It'll make the time pass and the weight feel like it's coming off quickly.

Plan your maintenance plan now. Learn from my failures. Don't wait until you hit your GW to decide how to handle the next phase of your diet. Maintenance requires more thinking & strategy than weight loss. In your downtime read as much as you can about how to gradually creep out of your diet and maintain your GW. Learn. Incorporate. Grow. And figure out what your next goal will be. It also helps your mind shift gears. It puts it in the "Ok I'm at GW now" frame of mind. Once your mind is convinced your body will follow suit.

Good luck. You look very lovely & healthy!

[This is the 3rd time I've lost weight. The first time it was serious weight loss (50lbs) and the last 10lbs were a nightmare so I can empathize. These are my best tips.]