Long-Distance Moving

Options
sdirks
sdirks Posts: 223 Member
I'm moving from New York City to St. Paul, Minnesota in about 2 weeks. Anyone have advice? Things to watch out for or be aware of?

I've moved around a lot (when I was dancing and modeling professionally), but that was only suitcases, etc. This will be my first major relocation: furniture, wine collection, ugly nick-nacks and all. I've already booked a moving service, but I'm new to this and sure there are things a more seasoned moving pro could let me in on.

Thanks! You guys are just great.

Replies

• HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    As a life-long Minnesotan, beware of the quick weather changes and the cold winters. Anyone I've ever known who has moved to Minnesota has had a really hard time their first winter here. Luckily, we've been having weather in the 60s-70s this week so hopefully it won't be too cold for a while. We are heading into rainy weather starting this weekend and parts of the state are already flooded!

Feel free to friend me and/or message me if you'd like. I've lived in the Twin Cities my entire life, so I could probably answer specific questions if you have them!
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    My husband and I have moved 5 times in 5 years...you would think I am a pro by now but NO! I get just as stressed every single time. We recently moved from Atlanta to Willard, OH (about 12 hours). Technically because of our circumstance and moving packaged we packed a uhaul and have moved into an apartment while we house hunt so the really big move is yet to come! My advice is to plan plan plan as much as you can in advance. Normally we have no plan, live in a tiny hotel with 2 dogs and I just stress stress stress. This time, I let the animals stay with family, found a place to rent so we all have our space, contacted a realtor well in advance... I'm sure you've probably already done this but just try to plan as much as you can. If you need to vent I'm here, I totally understand! In fact, we moved from Florida to GA in November and moved from GA to OH in March so you can tell that I'm still fresh at this! Good luck with everything!
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I grew up in MN, so I'm accustomed to the weather, lol. Also, as a ballet dancer, I toured in Russia and the Ukraine. The cold doesn't bother me: getting scammed does. :sick:

I've already lined up the townhouse and my new job. I flew out there 3 weeks ago to take care of business. My fiance, who lives in MN, moved into the new place yesterday and started painting (what a doll, right?). I'm mostly worried about my things getting broken in the move, hidden fees at delivery, my stuff taking weeks to arrive... does this stuff happen? Any way to avoid it?
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Friends of mine moved from Florida to Minnesota last year and they didn't have any problems with the movers. Their stuff took only a few days to arrive and they didn't have any problems. I don't know what company they used for moving.

Welcome back to Minnesota!