Do you think exercise machines lie to you?

lilmestydaze
lilmestydaze Posts: 28 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Do you think the calorie counter on the machines at the gym lie to you? Do you think you actually burn that many calories when you do the work out? Especially on the elliptical...I am wary of it.

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    I input my weight and age for a more accurate measure, but I'm really doubtful as to how accurate the machine is. I usually try to leave over a few exercise calories in case the machines are too optimistic.
  • pixietwilight
    pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
    I have had this same issue alot. I have read in various places that the elliptical tend to overstate calorie burn anywhere from 15 to 30 % . So I bought a heart rate monitor. Same thing I think it overstates. The best thing I have found and the one I have opted for is to make sure you watch your heart rate the whole time you are exercising and then go to this site.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Good luck !
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    I dont know. When I do the arc trainer(which is almost the same as an elipticle but not lol) it says that in 30 minutes i burn 400 calories. That seems high to me so I log it in here as 300 but even then Im not sure. I just bought a calorie tracker to wear when I work out and that will tell me how many i burn.
  • They are usually off by about 100 cals. So when I rely on a machine, I usually subtract a 100 from the overall amount. I usually try to use a heart rate monitor and that gives me a bit more piece of mind when it comes to figuring out calories burned. I found a cheap one at walmart for 25 and it works just fine.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    If it asks your age and weight, and has the heart rate sensors on the handles, than I'd say that its close. My heart rate watch is more accurate. Sometimes the calories burned are higher than what the machine says. And the heart rate will look higher on my machine, than what my HRM watch will say. I go with the watch cause I had to input my age. I think its better, but the machine isn't too far off.
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    After buying my HRM with chest strap, I actually found out my treadmill was underestimating the number of calories burned by around 50 or so. Before that with my watch only HRM, it was grossly overestimating my workouts by about 150 calories. The treadmill said I burned 240, the HRM-watch only said 390. I believe everyone should invest in themselves and spend the hundred or so dollars it takes to buy a good HRM with chest strap. That way you will feel confident knowing you are right on.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    This whole thing about how many calories you actually burn for various workouts has been driving me nuts. I remember reading that someone checks with a few different websites and then just inputs the average of those. I just did that for weight lifting. I checked four different websites--the responses I got were very similiar (245, 246, 245, and 237). I just decided to input the lowest number. But it's amazing all the different activities that came up.

Definitely give this a try. I initially just did a search "calories burned elliptical" I also save the links so I can refer back regularly. Now I feel alittle bit better with my exercise calories.
  • lilmestydaze
    lilmestydaze Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks! I went to that website and it actually told me 60 calories less than what the machine told me.
  • leb89
    leb89 Posts: 54
    When i run on the treadmill I use my Nike+ and it always comes out different then the treadmill. I trust the Nike+ more since i can input my weight. i don't think the machines are 100% accurate.
  • Well...for me, since I can't afford the super-expensive device, I usually only go for exercise machines that ask for your weight before you start working out. That way, you get an accurate reading based off of how much you weigh and how hard you work during the workout. This is very important, because the amount of calories burnt in a half hour is way different for a person weighing 130 lbs and someone weighing 200 lbs. People with more weight tend to burn more calories working out because during their workouts they have more weight to move around. Hope this helps! :)
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    What about differences in height? I'm nearly 6 foot tall (5'11) - isn't my 200lbs different than someone who is the same age as me and 5'3? I would think our calories would burn differently too...
  • weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    bump
  • ldarter
    ldarter Posts: 131 Member
    The machine readings are notoriously inaccurate. To be accurate they would have to be frequently re-calibrated and aren't. I mostly use a treadmill at the gym for cardio as far as machines go and have found that not only the calories but other measurements are inaccurate as well; speed, heart rate, distance etc. It is better to rely on a HRM for your data.
  • What about differences in height? I'm nearly 6 foot tall (5'11) - isn't my 200lbs different than someone who is the same age as me and 5'3? I would think our calories would burn differently too...

I'm 5' 11'' too and it seems to be harder to burn calories! I have to work a lot harder and move a lot faster to burn the same amount of calories than my sister who is 5' 6''. I weigh more than her, but my BMI is a lot higher weight than hers. These machines don't seem count height.
  • the machines are not very accurate, even if you input your age and weight, etc. i've always thought that the machines are made by people who want to sell machines, not make people healthy, and if people think they can burn 500 calories in 10 minutes wouldn't that make a great promotion to sell more machines? no refunds, of course, manufacturer assumes no responsibility for the real world.
  • The machines overestimate around 20%. So without my HRM i put in my weight at 20% less than what it really is and it comes out just about right. I've tested it with my HRM and for me, at least I know if I forget my HRM i can still get a pretty accurate number if I do that.
This discussion has been closed.