WOMEN: weight loss/gain during menstrual cycle, HELP

Options
Does everyone instantly put on weight at certain times in their menstrual cycle? I put on 1-2kg the day after my period starts every month and mostly the day after finishing I am back down 1-2kg, does this happen for other women??? Does anyone know the reason for this? Is there any way this can be avoided?

It's so frustrating, because I feel like I am doing so well then BANG, 2kg back on, and at the worst time too, when I am feeling low on energy, my self esteem is poor and I am super emotional.

For me, it is times like these I fall off the wagon, because even though in the back of my mind I know the weight gain is just because it's that time of month, there is this stronger part of me that say's "your a failure, your fat, your terrible" etc and, so I eat!!

Some day's I hate being a woman!!

Replies

• swtiajenice
    swtiajenice Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I completely hear ya! In fact, it's that TOM for me right now and I only managed to lose .5 pounds for the week. I just have to keep reminding myself to keep eating right and exercising and the scale will reflect me efforts the following week. If you must eat your sweet or salty item, but don't overindulge.

Hang in there! :)
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    It happens to almost every woman. If weighing yourself and seeing that gain makes you feel worse, don't weigh at that time of your cycle.
  • tomsawyerv
    Options
    Yep. You always weight more during that time. I don't know why you're letting it frustrate you, since you're aware of it. I just accept that around that time, you're going to be a little heavier. You said yourself it drops right off after. Don't let your attitude that the scale is the only thing that matters sabotage you.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Just keep up the healthy habits. Weight gains are NORMAL for anyone...too much salt, time of the month, etc. etc. As long as you continue to make healthy choices the scale will go in the downward direction.
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hello, this happens to me too. The whole 'weigh just once a week' doesn't work for me because it depends what week as to where I am up to with the cycle. I get two peaks in fluid weight - mid cycle, and just before my period. I weigh daily and plot it all on an app which gives me trend lines etc - that way I don't get stressed when the weight goes up because I know that it's part of the pattern and I can see it was exactly the same last month. As long as that overall trendline is tracking downwards, I'm happy!

People will tell you that you can avoid the bloat with reducing sodium and drinking more water but I have never found it works. Our bodies are stubborn things.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    a couple days before my period i put on up to maybe 3 pounds. 4 days after my period has started it is back down to the weight i was, sometimes even a pound less. happens to most of us, no worries just water retention and bloating. just stay away from the scale when you know you are getting your period and it shouldn't be a problem. keep drinking water, get that exercise in eat good foods and no worries
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's like nobody has ever had a period before. Yes, you gain weight during TOM. That's what you probably called "bloat" before you started getting on the scale every week and realizing that the increase in size actually corresponded to an increase in weight. Shocker.

Drink plenty of water and avoid the scale that week. You'll get over it.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Happens to me. I just figure its bloating and it never really impacts my overall weight loss efforts.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    OMGs, do I hear you on this one. I have HUGE fluctuations in weight, appetite (not just amounts but what I crave), and energy/activity levels right before my cycle. I weigh every day so I can see what those fluctuations are for me -- what my "normal" is. (I don't track weight every day, but do check in every day.) I mostly try to be gentle with myself and just *know* I'm going to see gain at that time, drink lots of water and chamomile tea, and do what I can. I give myself a break -- my body is working hard at that time, even if I can't see the processes.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Never happens.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    it can make a 3-4 pound difference for me.So I just stay off the scale.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes, water retention, and slowed digestion=weight gain. But why is this a big deal? You might be attaching your emotions to the number on the scale, so up goes the scale and down goes your emotions.

I find that as my bodyfat reduces, so does my water retention tendency.
    And for the slowed digestion, I delay my breakfast and make a fresh green juice....it allows my body's digestion to "catch up" while hydrating and nourishing and energizing me. It also helps release the excess water retention, in my experience.

Being a woman is fabulous! Plan to allow yourself rest during this TOM.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates between 5 and 10 lbs heavier during the week before than during the last 4 days of TOM. Stop weighing yourself during that time or get used to it, I guess. (Be glad your fluctuation is under 5 lbs. Imagine weighing 10 lbs more in a couple days. Not cool.)
  • Charz612
    Charz612 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I do try not to weigh myself every day and especially around this time but sometimes, I just can't resist, that "self sabotage" part of me wins over and I just do it and then feel like crap, It's something I'm working on but as you all know it takes time, especially to defeat the deep seated psychological stuff.

It's comforting to know that other people also experience this too, funny, I'm a very open person about most things but this has never been a question I asked another woman until now.

Thanks again!!
  • mlbqd3
    mlbqd3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What app do you use to track that stuff?

Thanks for sharing
    Melissa
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Never happens.

Man in disguise? :laugh:
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep. I just avoid the scale during that time.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yep happens to me sometimes it can be up to 7 lbs. Nothing I can do best thing is to keep on going and either don't weigh that week or do but know it's just that and you see a double loss the following week :)
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It used to happen to me, but not so much anymore after exercising consistently for over a year. It used to be anywhere from 3-5lbs, now it's 0-2lbs.
    Also, TOM is when I am most tired and need to ensure I get plenty of sleep, but it's also when I get my best workouts in. So go figure. I read that it has something to do with all the hormones during that time.
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What app do you use to track that stuff?

I have an Android phone and I use one called Libra, it's quite good with stats and predictions of when I'll reach goal etc.