Replies

• SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    mmm carbs :bigsmile:
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carb, good carbs, carbs that are in fruits, veggies and things like brown rice and oatmeal. Your brain functions on carbs. Carbs give your body quick energy.

You don't need carbs. You need glucose and your body will adapt to run off of protein and fats just fine. It just rearranges the molecule and sends it to the brain.

Yes, I know this is extremely simplified. However, the human body does not require carbs to function.

Ugh, yes, actually your body does need carbs to function. Ever notice how even the most restrictive low-carb diets dont eliminate it completely? Your body can use lipids and proteins to restock the glycolysis (& citric acid cycle, etc) pathway in our cells but the neurons in the brain cannot do this so well. The liver can take lipids and make enough glucose-like molecules for you to function but eventually you will start to suffer from ketoacidosis (acidic blood). Basically these pieces of the lipids that were broken down will be left over in the blood, making it more and more acidic (look up ketone bodies).There is a reason why diabetes, where people cannot absorb sugars well, is dangerous even though they can take in proteins and fats. Please be careful when you say anything is 100% one way or the other. The idea that we do not require any carbs at all to function is dangerous to just spout out without some sort of caveat like veggies or fruits which are also carbs.

To the OP - it might be fun to shake things up just to keep things interesting as long as you go in knowing that you might not keep off all the pounds from that time. You seem to be doing great though, so good luck!

*** I wrote this super late at night and just from memory of my biochem class last semester so if I'm a bit off, sorry all.

Yes you are quite a bit off.
    Unless the standard american body differs from that of other world peoples, you do not need carbs to function. In some ways your body uses carbohydrates more efficiently than fats or protein, but that does not mean they are needed. I'm not sure how some people of the world would survive if we had to have carbs. Mongolians, for example, have very little in the way of plant matter in their diets. The vast majority of the sugar that they get is from milk. Many other cultures go through winter carb fasts when meat is much easier to store than produce.
    Your body needs protein and fat and can run quite fine on trace carbs.

Your body wants carbs because it is easier to use for energy and will store as fat much more readily. This has been an advantage to humans up until recently. If you want to work against human biology you have to understand how it works at its most basic level.
    I appreciate that you had a class last semester, unfortunately, that does not make you more knowledgeable than anthropologists, nutritional scientists and the latest peer reviewed scientific data.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I think you're confused as to what carbs actually are.

I would start by educating yourself and then if you still want to try doing low carb you should look into a structured carb cycling routine.

While it's true that the body can create glucose from lipids and protein it's preferred form is from carbs. Doing regular intense exercise without carbohydrates puts extra stress on the adrenals and spike cortisol levels.

Two things that you don't want to be doing while trying to lose weight.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will. Carbs attract water at a rate of 3 grams to 1 gram. When you do a low-carb diet you lose water weight, when you re-introduce carbs, you gain water weight.
  • amy_fulk
    Options
    I have a severe intolerance to carbohydrates and haven't ate veggies/fruits for months! (Veggies upset another disease, while acid in fruits upset my Interstitial Cystitis) I automatically began to lose weight on the Atkins Phase 1 program, but you will slowly gain weight if you begin to re-introduce foods with loaded carbs. I've lost nearly 15 lbs within the first month of finding my C.I. Which isn't a very healthy number, but most people I know lose around 3 lbs or less a week. Keep a low-carb diet going strong for a few weeks at least! You can sign up at atkins.com for a free starter kit that includes low-carb foods, a book with the diet plans, recipes and 3 free atkins bars!
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will. Carbs attract water at a rate of 3 grams to 1 gram. When you do a low-carb diet you lose water weight, when you re-introduce carbs, you gain water weight.

exactly^ thank you.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    No carbs?

So no fruit or veggies?

You're just going to be eating chicken, beef, pork and olive oil?

Thank you...you have to have carbs they are in most things inc veggies and fruit! :sad:
    these are simple carbs and ok for ya x