Fruit Instead of Sweets? You Can't Be Serious!

Options
13»

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    do you have to include fruit in your calorie diary. I think fruit should be a free snack as encouragement to avoid sweets

One small banana is about 90 calories.

All calories count... even fruits and vegetables.

Yes, you can get fat from eating too much fruit because you then eat too many calories.

And there is nothing wrong with sweets in moderation. IIFYM.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I gave up sweets. Now I just make 7 banana or 10 apple or 8 orange smoothies (approx 800 calories) and it stops the cravings. If you are using fruit you need more to compete with sweets.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I gave up sweets. Now I just make 7 banana or 10 apple or 8 orange smoothies (approx 800 calories) and it stops the cravings. If you are using fruit you need more to compete with sweets.

Pretty sure you are getting more sugar from than I am from a handful of dark chocolate pomegranate candy. Sounds like fruit, really just gourmet chocolate covered jelly beans.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you are getting more sugar from than I am from a handful of dark chocolate pomegranate candy. Sounds like fruit, really just gourmet chocolate covered jelly beans.

I used to eat lbs of candy at a time like M&Ms and hazelnut chocolate bars, etc. so smoothies are a good alternative. Fruit is a powerhouse of nutrients more than chocolate although it has some nutrients. I like to eat raw cacao beans now although it's not as much fun as eating chocolate.

I'm not really concerned about how much unprocessed (besides blending) fruit sugar I consume. I've read that fruit sugar with fiber and all the nutrients doesn't affect diabetics like sweets. And although I should have been, I never paid attention to how much sugar I was getting from those pounds of chocolate I ate.
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who will eat the fruit then go back for the chocolate a few minutes later!

Instead I've started having chocolate after lunch and dinner (I just can't resist), but I put it in my diary the day before and only have 100 calories for each. I live in the UK, and 100 calories is a funsize bag of malteasers, penguin, kit cat or milky way - and these satisfy my cravings :)
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    I eat fruit, but it is by no means a substitute for candy, in my mind.