Do you grow your own food?

Options
I have a very small apartment balcony (okay maybe it's a fire escape) but I'd like to grow some veggies. What kind of things grow well in containers? I was thinking about some of those hanging tomato planters but other than that I'm clueless about what to grow. I haven't had a garden since 4-H club in elementary school so any advice is welcome. I have no idea where to start.

Replies

• azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So from my experience, those tomato planters are crap. Granted, I only knew one family with one, but they were all green thumbs and their tomato planter thing died. A tomato plant can be fine in a big pot though! Strawberries grow well in a container! You can grow herbs in your kitchen on a window sill if you have one. Lettuce! Kale! Umm... Those are most of the things I've grown in my life, so my knowledge stops there. hahaha

I definitely want to actually fully use my garden space this year... I have strawberry plants that become monsters behind my shed and tomato plants that keep coming back from seeds, though I no longer actually plant any!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I grow tons of my own food. With what you are talking about I would stick with herbs like rosemary, cilantro, basil, etc. You can use these to make great meals taste even better. I also started growing wheatgrass inside to add to smoothies. You could do that as well.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I would go get an Earthbox, or something similar. I've had a whole season of peppers (jalapeno, habanero, datil and serrano) in mine, they thrived. The pumpkins my daughter planted for Halloween last year did really well until the lawn guy decided to not pay attention...One devastated 5 year old later...grrrrrr.

My parents have about a dozen earthboxes, anything from tomatoes and cucumbers to sunflowers, never really had an issue.

If you're thinking herbs and stuff, you can get a window sill planter that should work well for that.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    We raise our own chickens for eggs, havent eaten a chicken yet tho, tomatoes, strawberries, stuff like that:)
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your climate and the sun exposure, etc. But I grow container, brussel sprouts, swiss chard and artichokes, red bell pepper.... OR at least I'm trying. LOL :blushing:

Hubbs and I did try those upside down tomato planters and it really was a waste - just buy a pot instead and a starter tomato plant.

Good Luck, it really is rewarding to grown your own!
  • shadowfeet33
    shadowfeet33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We try to grow as much as possible. With a limited space I would say herbs, garlic, peppers & berries. I have not tried the earthboxes mentioned above but they sound cool.
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Those upside down tomato hangers work great as long as you water them like twice a day.
  • witchiipooh
    witchiipooh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I grow peas in a 5 gallon bucket, you can get like 4 plants in one. And if you got a really big plant pot you could grow a salad mix.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I garden.

Regarding the upside down tomato hangers. I don't recommend them.

I've had 4 to 5 at a time. They work fine if you know how to water and feed properly. I've had big yields. BIG PROBLEM though. They last 1 to 2 years before the plastic deteriorates. So, not a good value.

If you do try one, realize excess water will spill out the bottom, so you'll need something to catch the water and splashes.

Fresh tomatoes are wonderful! I can them also (along with sauce, juice, spaghetti sauce, chili ... :)
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You might want to read the book square foot gardening to see what can be grown in a 4x4 foot (16 squares) space. You will totally be amazed. Add a small herb garden and you can really have fun. Pretty much anything can be grown in containers. Look for varieties to match your growing season. Enjoy! I agree, those tomato hanger thingees are just good marketing without much success.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll nix the hanging tomato things and just get a few regular planters for herbs, tomatoes and peppers. Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    just replying so this is in my feed, I'm interested in this myself

any tips on this re Bahraini climate (almost tropical, very humid as it's a small island, lots of sun on my balcony) would be appreciated in addition to all the general advice on this
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    when I can
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My most successful tomatoes have been in self-watering containers made of rubbermaid boxes and PVC, as well as those big plastic paint buckets. A very important point to consider is sunlight. Which direction does your balcony face?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    We grew some tomatoes eggplants cucumbers and a TON of Basil last year. Its hard here...its so hot in the summer! Before we moved here we had a big garden...the best green beans and zucchinis....neither of which do well in the desert.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    We did some cherry tomatoes, hot peppers, and a variety of herbs last year- it was nice and the kids enjoyed working with me on it. Things started out looking good then everything kind of died off early and never produced much. We will probably do some research and try it again this year.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    basil, thyme, dill, mint, rosemary, etc - any herbs you use regularly (so for me: basil, cilantro, maybe chives)

i'd love to try growing my own garlic (i <3 garlic, it's one of my main food groups)

a cucumber planter, tomato planter (i'd do a cherry or grape one though)

i do NOT have a green thumb at all so good luck!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You could try the "cut & come again" type of mixed salad leaves. The idea being you just pick a few leaves as required, not cut the whole plant

I grow them in a seed tray