Correct BMI, High Body Fat... Now what?

Options
I am not overweight according to BMI, but I do look "chunky" and my body fat is high at 27% per scale (and my eyes). How do I combat this "fat issue". I keep my food diary open if that helps, but I haven't been excercising much because of my commute. I know this won't help my body fat, so I pledge to change that. Anything else I can do? I also need active friends that will keep me on track if anyone is interested.

Replies

• CaroseH
    Options
    Hey Girl! I'm in the same boat : ) I am on the lower end of the BMI scale for my height, but I still have cellulite and my body fat percentage is 26. I would love to see what other's advice is!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The key would be exercising.... weight training to be exact.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The key would be exercising.... weight training to be exact.

Any good sites, or excercises? Tummy fat is my biggest enemy!
  • crieve
    crieve Posts: 33
    Options
    I found Jillian Micheals 30 day shred gave amazing for that part of my body.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights three to five days a week and eat at a modest deficit while including optional cardio.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What would a modest deficit be? for now it is 400 calories without taking excercise into account.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I struggled with the same issue for so long. I was actually a few pounds below ideal weight but was slim/jiggly.

Answer. Heavy Weights. Period.

Borrow or Buy New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. Or New Rules of Weightlifting for men.

You have to lift weights to burn body fat. Cardio burns too, but not like lifting.

I burn almost 500 calories an hour in hardcore cardio classes and about 14% fat. I'll take it!

I burn almost 270 calories an hour of hardcore heavy lifting, but 40% body fat and an afterburn of around 55% for an hour. THAT is what I want.

Get a good belt, lifting gloves, and buy NROLFW. You will not regret it.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Per my scale I'm 36.7% body fat of this morning. At just under 5'0 and 115 lbs.

According to calipers I'm 23.8% body fat.
    According to the military body fat calculator I'm 24.2% body fat.

I'm not sure my scale is that accurate, as I'm beginning to see defined abs, and I doubt at an obese body fat percentage I'd see any ab definition.

However I also want to go from about 24% body fat to around 18-20% body fat. I find from past experience that lifting, and lifting heavy, helps more with this than cardio does. I still need to do a lot of cardio because I use it as one of the ways to control my hypertension without medication, but I make sure to eat enough and I lift about 3 times a week.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    What would a modest deficit be? for now it is 400 calories without taking excercise into account.
    If you have about 16 lbs left to lose, then a 400 calorie deficit is likely the most after exercise is included. Once you have 10 lbs or so to lose, you can up calories so the deficit is closer to 300/250.