Breathing coordinated to exercise - how important?

Options
I do workouts to videos that often direct HOW you should breathe during exercises. For example, Jillian Michaels tells us to breathe out on every punch while doing fairly rapid punches. If I exhale & inhale that often, I almost feel like I'd be hyperventilating. Other exercises recommend that you exhale with certain moves that naturally feel more like I should be inhaling to me.

How important is it to breathe in a particular way while weightlifting or doing cardio or doing crunches or whatever? If it is important, why? Let's discuss. I'd like to learn. I'm inclined to just breathe naturally unless there is a specific benefit. But, if there is a benefit, I'm willing to change & yet to relearn how to breathe.

Replies

• samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    They have found that most people exhale as their right foot hits the ground. In doing this (especially in running or dancing), you are putting strain on the liver, which is mostly right-sided which then tugs on the diaphragm. This gives you that "side stitch." We always were told it was too much food or water right before running. Who knew? They say that you must try to take your breath in as your right foot hits the ground and exhale on the left foot or somewhere else in between. I have to tell you that I have been paying attention to this while I do my zumba routines, and it kind of helps. Of course, I usually wait until I have one, but it seems to remedy it quicker than if I let it resolve on its own. I hope this helps and was interesting!!! Great topic!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've also wondered about that one. I did ask my trainer but for the life of me...can't remember what she said. Sigh. I thought it was inhale on pulling the weights. Aargh...can't remember!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I was told to exhale on the exertion in weight lifting during high school, and have done so ever since (now 40), but you know... I've never stopped to wonder why, lol. Unless perhaps it's a matter of flexing your core for stability? Pure speculation.

For cardio... y'know, I just breath as I need. I know what you're talking about, though-- I've done routines where they're trying to dictate how rapidly you inhale/exhale, and it's just never aligns with my rhythm. So screw 'em.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Exhaling for the exertion part of a move definitely makes a a difference. It's easy to test out - use 80 or 90% of your bench press max and try to push while inhaling. Then try again while exhaling.

I never paid much attention until someone on another site mentioned that he had to be careful not to hold his breath when doing lots of push-ups. I realized I was doing that with most exercises; it's a lot easier when I make sure I'm breathing in rhythm with the exercise.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Exhaling for the exertion part of a move definitely makes a a difference. It's easy to test out - use 80 or 90% of your bench press max and try to push while inhaling. Then try again while exhaling.

I never paid much attention until someone on another site mentioned that he had to be careful not to hold his breath when doing lots of push-ups. I realized I was doing that with most exercises; it's a lot easier when I make sure I'm breathing in rhythm with the exercise.

I will try that on my next free weight day.
  • disnutt
    Options
    I've heard to exhale on the exertion during lifting because it helps brace your abs. It does seem to give me some extra 'oomph' to hoist a heavy weight.

For running, as long as I am getting enough air in I don't do anything special. I heard you were supposed to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. I can't do it. My nose gets stuffy when I run and one breath takes forever if I do it that way.

Has anyone ever taken a yoga class where they tell you to breathe through one nostril and out the other? LOL! I always cheat during that. It feels like I'm going to pass out from lack of oxygen.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    In Pilates breathing is very important, and I can feel the difference between getting it right and doing it wrong very clearly. You won't notice the difference until you start getting your technique right, though, because while you're struggling with all the other stuff, you won't know where things are going wrong. However, if you get your breathing right from the beginning, it will make all the rest easier.

PS: In through nose - out through mouth. This protects your lungs from particles, it moistens dry air, it heats the air when you run in cold climates and cools it in warm. Then breathing out throught the mouth lets you expel the air easily, not pushing moisture, mucus and other crap up your fairly narrow nose. Of course, can't be done if your nose is always stuffed, but if you can it helps keep you healthy.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    coordinated breathing isn't especially important... Holding your breath can be bad though so just make sure that you are breathing.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    coordinated breathing isn't especially important... Holding your breath can be bad though so just make sure that you are breathing.

in my very non expert opinion I think this ^^^^ is it, a lot of people tend to hold their breath when doing exertion exercises and the constant reminder to breathe is just for that purpose only, to make sure you're not holding your breath. I tend to forget to breath and end up getting dizzy. I really have to concentrate.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The more "co-ordinated" your breathing while exercising, the better oxygenated your blood, the better the work out, less stress on your lungs and muscles which in turn helps with recovery time between sets, rounds etc. This has been my experience while learning Kung Fu. When I had to take up running, as part of preparing for a black belt grading, I learned to breath in on a two count and out on a two count. It kept my breathing regular no matter if it was uphill, down hill, on the beach, trails or on the pavement, I never got the "stitch" and was able to do runs of more than an 90 mins.
    Rule of thumb for rapid punches is one regular breath in and three puffs/punches out. Maybe four if you're a lot faster than average. It's all about regulating your breathing for maximum performance. That's what my instructor told me and MY experience shows it to be valid.