is it really crucial to log raw veg??

Options
So, I know there is the whole debate of negative calories etc. But any other diet I have done, veggies have been free, (obvs not potatoes, etc) so in my head you can kind of have as many as you want. Also, when you look at the standard, healthy diets, ie WW or Slimming world, veggies don't count. Here, they do.

Would I lose more weight if I logged my vegetables? do you? do you weigh your tomato to see whether it has 13 or 15 calories??

Thanks people,

Rachel

x

Replies

• allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So, I know there is the whole debate of negative calories etc. But any other diet I have done, veggies have been free, (obvs not potatoes, etc) so in my head you can kind of have as many as you want. Also, when you look at the standard, healthy diets, ie WW or Slimming world, veggies don't count. Here, they do.

Would I lose more weight if I logged my vegetables? do you? do you weigh your tomato to see whether it has 13 or 15 calories??

Thanks people,

Rachel

x

I'd say definitely log your vegetables. Some veggies like onions can quickly add to your calorie and carb count.
    If anything logging all your vegetables will allow you to look back and see exactly what you ate on a certain day/ week. I find it really helpful to be able to replicate how I ate on successful weeks when I feel as though my diet may be lacking! (:
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh and as for things like tomato, etc. in fact most vegetables I know aren't super calorie dense like potato I don't necessarily weigh, I'll just cut up how much I want and guess how much there is i.e. 1/2 a cup of mushroom, etc.
  • PoshDinosaur
    PoshDinosaur Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it, yes. However, this is because I want to promote logging everything - knowing me, I'm likely to stop logging bigger and bigger things once I let myself stop! And because I'm sort of interested in keeping an eye on vitamins and that. I tend to do it as part of recipe-creation, so it's not as if I have to go massively out of my way.

I can't tell if it's helped me lose more or less weight, but it's certainly helped in terms of building a change in my eating and cooking where I feel I'm in more control.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I could easily spend half my calories on veggies.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I log them cause I am OCD like that but it's important to log if you're tracking vitamin and mineral intake too
  • ricklperry
    Options
    I log them. Most don't add much in the way of calories but a few do and I wouldn't have known otherwise. Was shocked by carrots for example.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight.
  • dmberreth
    Options
    I would say a calorie ate is a calorie that needs to be logged. If we're talking about the difference between a veg that could be 10 calories or 15 depending on size... I go with the bigger number.

I am the sort of guy who could, if given the opportunity, do very, very bad things with various meat products. And -then- cook and eat them. But even still, I find a lot of veg helps me feel much better.

More-so than just calorie counting however - I found out that I tend to have a bad reaction to onions by keeping my veggies tracked in a food log. You may end up with other benefits aside from knowing if today was a 1800 calorie day, or an 1805 one.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I log them because I want a very clear picture of what I eat. Plus if I wanted to get feedback on my food diary and didn't log my vegs, the first thing people would tell me is that I needed to add them to my diet.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I would imagine that the points goal that WW gives you takes into account that they expect you to eat a certain amount of fruit and veg on top of that. With calorie counting, your goal covers everything that you are going to eat, so the general idea is to log everything. I log it all, but then I'm also interested in tracking nutrients as well as calories.

In the end, it's up to you. If you are doing it without logging vegetables, and you are losing weight as expected, then there's no real problem. If you find that you are not losing as expected, it might be worth logging them to see if that's where the issue is. There's no MFP police that is going to come ad check if you're weighing and logging everything. If it's working ok for you, then carry on.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    What you do and do not log is completely up to you. If you don't want to log the negligible calories from the veggies, then opt out - but, as my dietitian likes to say, every calorie counts. If you are tracking more than just calories (like iron, etc..) then you might want to log every piece of cauliflower you manage to nibble on.

At the end of the day the only person you answer to for success or failure is yourself. So log what you want to, or don't. There is no "negative calorie" vegetable, there are very very low calorie vegetables. I understand the concept of negative calorie food, but trust me - it's just a gimmick :flowerforyou:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    There is no rational debate on negative calorie foods as they don't exist except in some people's minds.

Log everything, as the point is to stay within your calorie limitations, and vegetables have calories just like cake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If it gets in my belly, it gets in my diary period. Veggies have calories. A lot of "diets" don't count veggies because they want to promote eating more of them. A calorie is a unit of energy...your body doesn't care if those calories come from a piece of broccoli, an apple, or a package of M&Ms...from an energy standpoint your body treats it exactly the same way (nutrition being a different matter). I'm having two servings of broccoli with lunch today...it's 60 calories...why wouldn't I log it?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If it gets in my belly, it gets in my diary period. Veggies have calories. A lot of "diets" don't count veggies because they want to promote eating more of them. A calorie is a unit of energy...your body doesn't care if those calories come from a piece of broccoli, an apple, or a package of M&Ms...from an energy standpoint your body treats it exactly the same way (nutrition being a different matter). I'm having two servings of broccoli with lunch today...it's 60 calories...why wouldn't I log it?

^this.

Log it. If you don't and you've consumed 120 calories in veggies in a day, you might think you have extra and eat something that puts you over for the day. Keep the maths simple and the maths won't fail you.

Complicating things by calling them negative calories or justifying not logging certain healthy foods is where you mess up. Plus, how will you know whether you've met your micronutrients for the day?
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    ok, ok, ok!! I'm not sure what the aggression is about, I was just asking a question....

I am not sure I was justifying it, nor was I encouraging the negative calories (merely mentioning it so that this debate doesnt happen here!) I was merely asking for clarification, seeing as I didn't quite get it.

One of my friends on WW is on 26 points, which means roughly 1700 calories. On top of this, all fruit and veg is free. She has lost stones of weight.... hence I was querying it.... She brought it up, and said that she ate her points as well as half a melon, 2 oranges, an apple etc. I was curious as to how it worked....

But thank you for your reply, I will definitely change my logging habits, and hope to see further progress...
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it is CRUCIAL to log your veggies -- the calories for green non-starchy veggies are probably negligible. But I like to log mine because eating more than 5 servings of fruits and veggies is a great indicator of a healthy diet and I like to be able to look back and see how I've been eating.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    I log everything but spices. Even veggies can add up to a couple of hundred calories a day.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I log them but mostly because I like to see my vitamin intake.

I say log it all. Or why log at all.

Julie :)
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I log everything. They may not be a lot of calories but I pay attention to more than just calories. I keep an eye on fiber and potassium for example.