I am so impatient........ Can someone remind me why i exerci

Options
Ok i need help here can someone tell me how long it takes before it shows that you actually exercise? Thanks Im so frustrated. Thanks

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You mean before you start seeing results?
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I want to start seeing results!
  • MSPENCE
    MSPENCE Posts: 31
    Options
    Stay with it...IT WILL HAPPEN. Just five it time.
    I find I sometimes notice it daily but that is ONLY if I ate REALLY well that day as well.
    Good Luck!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    You exercise to burn calories (so you can eat a little more!) and because it makes your heart healthy, and your muscles increase, and your fat decrease, and it's good to prevent all kinds of other illnesses and diseases..... It builds energy, increases your metabolism, makes you FEEL GOOD!!!!

For me, it usually takes 1-2 weeks for my exercise to catch up to my body.... if I do a lot and burn a lot, I'll see that weight loss a week to ten days later. Same for not doing well, I'll see the gain (or lack of loss) 7-10 days later.

In the beginning it took about 2-3 months for my body to realize I wasn't trying to kill myself and actually appreciate the exercise I was giving it :laugh:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    You exercise to burn calories (so you can eat a little more!) and because it makes your heart healthy, and your muscles increase, and your fat decrease, and it's good to prevent all kinds of other illnesses and diseases..... It builds energy, increases your metabolism, makes you FEEL GOOD!!!!

For me, it usually takes 1-2 weeks for my exercise to catch up to my body.... if I do a lot and burn a lot, I'll see that weight loss a week to ten days later. Same for not doing well, I'll see the gain (or lack of loss) 7-10 days later.

In the beginning it took about 2-3 months for my body to realize I wasn't trying to kill myself and actually appreciate the exercise I was giving it :laugh:

I've been working out for a month now and I havent seen any results at all. Is that normal?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for a month now and I havent seen any results at all. Is that normal?
    It depends on what you mean by results... if you are just considering the scale, yes, that happens to people, but generally that means you aren't doing something exactly right. Without knowing your calorie intake, how much protein vs. carbs you eat, your BMR and how much you work out, it's hard to say exactly what it could be though. Give more details and maybe someone will see an area where you need to tweak.

If you don't feel like you are getting stronger and more fit though, I would ask what intensity you are working out at and what kind of fuel are you giving your body. It can make a difference. Walking for 30 min. 3x a week is definitely better than not walking at all, but it's going to take a lot longer to see fitness gains than if you run 3x a week for 45 min. (As an example.) A lot of people are using their exercise time inefficiently as well because they think they have to stay in the "fat burning zone" when you actually get better results in shorter time spans when working out at higher intensities.

On the other sides, you also need to give your body adequate rest. Fitness gains are actually realized during rest periods when you give your muscles time to repair themselves. Sometimes people get so excited about fitness that they start doing really intense workouts 7 days a week and then they plateau in their fitness or their gains aren't proportional to their training effort. That's called over-training.

You also want to give yourself the right kind of fuel before, during and after a workout. What is the best fuel depends on what you are doing and for how long, but consuming a snack of carbs & protein within 30-60 min. of any workout can make a big difference in your ability to workout the next day.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Remember that progress from exercising isn't just physical. Can you exercise longer or harder than you could before? Can you walk farther or faster than before? Stamina and being able to catch your breath are results that you may not "see" but if you pay attention, you'll notice. How fast your heart rate recovers after a workout is another one.

Whatever you do, don't give up! Stick with it and you WILL see the results, whether it be internal, inches or pounds!
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It depends... When your working out... are you eating enough calories.. I eat my calories everyday and my exersize calories... I have now lost 11 lbs in a month... I work out at least 5 days a week, normally 33 min on an eliptical, but I have just introduced my self to Yoga and Zumba... so as long as you eat all your caloires (at least 1200 a day) and if you work out eat them ESP if you go under 1200 afterwards... GOOD LUCK.. and you will start seeing results
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by results... if you are just considering the scale, yes, that happens to people, but generally that means you aren't doing something exactly right. Without knowing your calorie intake, how much protein vs. carbs you eat, your BMR and how much you work out, it's hard to say exactly what it could be though. Give more details and maybe someone will see an area where you need to tweak.

If you don't feel like you are getting stronger and more fit though, I would ask what intensity you are working out at and what kind of fuel are you giving your body. It can make a difference. Walking for 30 min. 3x a week is definitely better than not walking at all, but it's going to take a lot longer to see fitness gains than if you run 3x a week for 45 min. (As an example.) A lot of people are using their exercise time inefficiently as well because they think they have to stay in the "fat burning zone" when you actually get better results in shorter time spans when working out at higher intensities.

On the other sides, you also need to give your body adequate rest. Fitness gains are actually realized during rest periods when you give your muscles time to repair themselves. Sometimes people get so excited about fitness that they start doing really intense workouts 7 days a week and then they plateau in their fitness or their gains aren't proportional to their training effort. That's called over-training.

You also want to give yourself the right kind of fuel before, during and after a workout. What is the best fuel depends on what you are doing and for how long, but consuming a snack of carbs & protein within 30-60 min. of any workout can make a big difference in your ability to workout the next day.

I totally agree with this and I want to echo the bit about the intensity level of your exercise. If you are exercising moderately you will see moderate gains. If you are exercising at a really intense level, your body will be pushed to adapt more and you will see bigger gains. (But gotta be careful of overtraining!)

Do you do interval training? Do some research on High Intensity Interval Training and, if you are not doing it already, start mixing it in. Do you use weights? Check out circuit training and start incorporating resistance training into your workouts.

But overall, it does take time and you need to be patient and consistent (but intense!).
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    I was exercising for a good 3 months before I really started to be able to see the changes in my body. Patience is a virtue, stick with it and you will see progress...I promise. And if you dont have one already, get a cloth tape measure and take your measurements. It is a more accurate way of seeing proof that your body is changing.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options

It took me about 7 weeks before I saw any weight loss at all. I worked out 4-5 times a week and burned between 400-650 cals a day...my body started to change shape wise, but no loss on the scale.

Think of it this way: if you haven't worked out in a really long time, like me, you essentially have to reactivate those muscles. That takes time to get them going from nothing to working properly and your body burning fat as well. Your body has to get used to the new movement you are unexpectedly putting it through. Once it realizes it is a more permanent thing it will adjust.