Is counting calories really all it takes?

Options
Of course, I have definitely seen results by watching my calorie intake, but something about this method worries me as it can encourage you to eat ANYTHING as long as it comes under the calorie goal. For example, my calorie goal is 1200.

I could eat about roughly 4 mars bars, and then reach that goal. Obviously that's not sustainable, but what if you met your calorie goals just eating utter crap like that? :laugh: Would the weight still come off?

What if you only ate microwave meals or McDonalds but it didn't go over your calorie goal? Just a thought...!

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I think it varies by individual. Some people report that they didn't lose any weight until they cut sugar from their diet or went low carb.
  • alexandrastaines
    Options
    lol, I asked my mum this too!!! She said it's about the fat and the sugar in those foods, that are bad for your body...I think the fat would cling to you...just my understanding but I have no idea tbh :p
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    This would work fine if the only reason you want to lose weight is to see a smaller on the scale. Most of us are also looking to lead a healthy life. For me that means looking at nutritional information and making sure that I get a good variety of fruit, veggie, protein, fiber and micronutrients that my body needs.
  • prettyblu
    Options
    Check out this article:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat/

Not that I'd personally ever try the 'Twinkie Diet', LOL. But it's interesting nonetheless. :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    To add: fat does not make you fat. My fat is set at 30%.
  • annie33334
    annie33334 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me, the calories alone is not enough. I had to cut out the processed foods, fast foods, added sugars, soda, breads, etc. and add in some exercise and a ton of fruits and veggies but now I'm finally losing the weight.
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm trying really hard to eat healthy. Counting calories works but I'm diabetic and I want a healthy body.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Check out this article:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat/

Not that I'd personally ever try the 'Twinkie Diet', LOL. But it's interesting nonetheless. :)

LOL makes me feel better as I ate a nutella snack today :laugh:

In seriousness though, when I cut out sugar and salt, I look so much better, even my face looks less puffy.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You'd probably end up sick and malnourished but you'd still lose weight. It comes down to calories in /calories out. Most people couldn't be satisfied with the small amount of food you'd have with 4 chocolate bars in the long run so we chose to eat better food and if you're doing 1200 calories it takes so thoughtfulness to get in enough to feel satisfied and get your nutrition.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    in theory yes - eat anything that keeps you at your calorie total for the day. The reality, though - is you will feel better if you make healthier choices most of the time. You will have a healthier body when you get to your goal weight. You will most likely be happier with the results you see in the mirror.

but the biggest thing - if you make healthier choices, you can have a LOT more food for the same amount of calories.:laugh:

I aim to eat healthy most of the time, and have some treats every so often. This works for me in losing, and it will be my pattern at maintenance.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Of course, I have definitely seen results by watching my calorie intake, but something about this method worries me as it can encourage you to eat ANYTHING as long as it comes under the calorie goal. For example, my calorie goal is 1200.

I could eat about roughly 4 mars bars, and then reach that goal. Obviously that's not sustainable, but what if you met your calorie goals just eating utter crap like that? :laugh: Would the weight still come off?

What if you only ate microwave meals or McDonalds but it didn't go over your calorie goal? Just a thought...!

Since you're concerned about body composition (from the skinny fat thread), you should be eating more than 1200. You don't have much weight to lose. A half pound a week is probably the appropriate setting for you.

For weight loss, yeah... calories in vs calories out is all that matters. For body composition, macros count. You'll want more protein than MFP suggests for starters. This thread will help you set your goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

Since you're concerned about body composition (from the skinny fat thread), you should be eating more than 1200. You don't have much weight to lose. A half pound a week is probably the appropriate setting for you.

For weight loss, yeah... calories in vs calories out is all that matters. For body composition, macros count. You'll want more protein than MFP suggests for starters. This thread will help you set your goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Thanks for the advice! I have a lot to learn!
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Im not sure, i exercise, eat 80% healthy, probably closer to 90%, saw big drops in the beginning but for the past three months feel like I've stalled. Im doing spin bike cardio and Insanity workout and am noticing some body change but not what one would expect from the massive changes I have made. I almost feel like I should start rotational fasting to try and kick start the weightloss again. The experts say that it took time to put on so it will take time to take off, but c'mon, im exercising like an athlete, hurry up already...lol
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    To add: fat does not make you fat. My fat is set at 30%.

me too - but i managed to hit 65% fat one day last week :/

not planning on doing that everyday but i still lost 2lb this week - a LITTLE of what you fancy does you good now and then.

i like this site better than others as you can see what you should be hitting for your macros - of course you can lose weight only eating (1200s wortth of) mars bars but you won't feel or look very good imo.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

lorinalynn - just thought i'd say - you are an inspiration, you look amazing.
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There is already a lot of great info on here that I agree with
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well, if you notice on your food intake page, you see headings like protein, carbs, sugars etc with a goal limit...You should be paying attention to those as well...
    Not all calories are created equally. The body has to work harder on certain foods. also it depends on how active you are because depending on your activity your body will burn its fuel at different levels depending on the levels of intensity of your workouts
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Sure. You can lose eating at a deficit eating crap. But doesn't it make more sense to eat good healthy food? Your body will appreciate it, and you get lots more to eat!
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I really believe that the quality of what you eat matters. Sure you could eat 4 mars bars and still be within your calorie goal. However, nutritionally you're getting nothing, so you're starving. You may lose weight at first, but your body will quickly realize that you aren't getting any nutrients. You have a huge spike in cravings, and if that doesn't cause you to binge eat in a bad way, you'll see other negative consequences. Bad skin, hair falling out, brittle nails... The reality is, you can eat 3000 calories a day and still be nutritionally starving! Best bet? Stay under your cals but instead of eating small portions of horrid food, eat large portions of nutrient-dense food (ie: fruits and vegetables!)
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    My opinon is your body reflects what you put into it, if you eat processed crap food, your body will reflect that. You need to eat fresh , healthy non- processed food to lose extra bodyfat, when I was a young girl the term muffin top did not exsist, no one walked around with those belly's , because of todays' diet of coke, doritos's , taco bell, those stomachs exsist now, so get proper, lean protein, chicken , white fish, green veggies, nuts , almond butter some fruit and at those healthy 1200 calories you wil lose weigh with exercise, you cannot out train a bad diet.