Flax Seed, Yay or Nay?

So when I was at a dress fitting the old woman swore up and down that the best thing to help lose weight is to mix flax seed in everything you eat (of course she was exaggerating). So I did buy some organic flax seed and have been putting about 1-2 tsp in my morning protein shakes for the past couple days. Hasnt been long enough to really see a difference but I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge on flax seed and nutrition?

Replies

• stongjos
    stongjos Posts: 63 Member
    I read somewhere that omega-3 helps weigh less on the scale.. And flax seed has a good amount of omega-3. Salmon also!
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Flax seed won't make you lose weight; it's not a diet supplement and or a magic weight loss tool. It's an excellent source of fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids.The fiber in it will help fill you up a bit and also keep you regular. They also contain lignans, which aid digestion. However, you need to grind the seeds and use it that way; whole flax seeds are little more than expensive poop.

They (ground flax, that is) can also be used in place of eggs in vegan recipes (mixed with water it forms a 'gel') or added to baked goods for texture/added health benefits.

Basically, ground flax is awesome and a good way to sneak some fiber and omega-3's in your diet, but it will not be the cause of weight loss. It has a lot of health benefits and can be a regular part of your diet, but don't expect it to be a weight loss solution.
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Right I dont expect it to be 'magic' and Im just incorporating it into the diet that I am already doing. However it seems that the amount Im using, 1-2 tsp only adds about 1 Fiber on my tracker which isnt very much. Thank you for the info, didnt know that about the difference between ground and whole flax seed so thank you!
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Right I dont expect it to be 'magic' and Im just incorporating it into the diet that I am already doing. However it seems that the amount Im using, 1-2 tsp only adds about 1 Fiber on my tracker which isnt very much. Thank you for the info, didnt know that about the difference between ground and whole flax seed so thank you!

All I'm saying is that flax seed will not be the cause of weight loss, but it has great health benefits so I would keep using it when you can. Don't just sprinkle it on things for the sake of it, use it where it makes sense (in oatmeal, smoothies, baked goods, crackers, even as part of a coating for chicken, etc).
  • Flax seed makes me run to the bathroom... I know fiber is good but to much of a good thing is NOT a good thing.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    I've been eating flax seeds for two days and all I've noticed is how NAUSEOUS I am. I don't know if they just make me feel too full or something but I'm not loving this.
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Flax seed won't make you lose weight; it's not a diet supplement and or a magic weight loss tool. It's an excellent source of fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids.The fiber in it will help fill you up a bit and also keep you regular. They also contain lignans, which aid digestion. However, you need to grind the seeds and use it that way; whole flax seeds are little more than expensive poop.

They (ground flax, that is) can also be used in place of eggs in vegan recipes (mixed with water it forms a 'gel') or added to baked goods for texture/added health benefits.

Basically, ground flax is awesome and a good way to sneak some fiber and omega-3's in your diet, but it will not be the cause of weight loss. It has a lot of health benefits and can be a regular part of your diet, but don't expect it to be a weight loss solution.

Exactly.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    I mix a TBSP of ground flax seed into my afternoon yogurt snack. I like the texture it adds, and to my taste buds it seems to add a little bit of "nutty" flavor to my plain greek yogurt. :)