Deep fried sweetcorn cakes - treat food. :-)

Options
I have been doing some cooking today form The Big Book of Thai Curries. I made some curry powder as it was needed for the sweetcorn cakes so I have put both recipes in here if you like curries or want a naughty treat. :-)

Curry Powder:
This recipe makes roughly 10 tablespoons and can be stored in an airtight container for up to one year. It is very quick and easy to make. You can grind the herbs down in a processor if you want to.

Ingredients:

Whole herbs and spices:
2 teaspoons cloves
5cm stick of cinnamon
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
4-5 bayleaves

Ground herbs and spices:
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons group turmeric
2 teaspoons ground paprika

Method:

Mix the whole herbs and spices together in a dry wok or frying pan over a medium heat for 1 minute, or until their aroma starts to fill the air.

Allow the spices to cool, then grind as finely as possible using a pestle and mortar or spice grinder.

Mix in the ground spices and stir well.

Sweetcorn cakes: These are delightful and so full of flavour! Not too heavy and again very quick, 20 minute snack dish!

Ingredients:
Kernels from 4-5 raw corn on the cob
1 tablespoon Curry Powder
2 tablespoons rice flour
3 tablespoons wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
Water for binding
Oil, for deep frying

Method:

Mix together all the ingredients, except the oil, in a bowl, stirring well to form a thick mixture. Go easy on the water.

Heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan. Take a tablespoon of the mixture, form it into a small cake, then carefully lower it into the hot oil. Deep-fry until golden brown, then remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat until all the mixture is used up. Leave to cool, then serve.

They could make about 10 depending on the size cakes. I served them with sweet chilli oil.

i hope you enjoy. I do realize they are naughty treats to put on here but have roughly estimated the calories as roughly:

Calories: 166.5, Total Fat: 14.3 g, Saturated Fat: 10.1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.0 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0.0 g, Cholesterol: 0.0 mg, Sodium: 0.1 mg, Potassium: 9.0 mg, Total Carbohydrate: 9.4 g, Dietary Fiber: 0.5 g, Sugars: 0.2 g, Protein: 1.2 g

Let me know if you try them and what you think. I loved them and will probably be doing them again. :-)

Replies

• Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    I made these again tonight but made them much smaller, I divided the mixture into 21 to make bitesize cakes, this also helped with the calories, they are now about 50 each. I have put them into the database as Homemade Thai Sweetcorn Cakes. x