Easter Eggs

Options
Does anyone out there, besides me, still boil and color actual easter eggs with their kids?

I can't help it. I love coloring easter eggs! I'm such a kid sometimes.

What will YOU be doing with your kids for easter?

Replies

• TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just picked up my kit yesterday! Of course, it didn't occur to me to pick up eggs at the same time, so I'm hoping there are still some left when I go to the store tonight.

I got them pretty standard Easter fare, but since they're a bit older I also put some different stuff in their baskets. For starters, their "baskets" are actually these cool, modern style garbage cans for their rooms. They both got bunnies and Peeps, and they both got new reusable aluminum water bottles for when we go on hikes. I got my son a new skateboard helmet, and a new fluffy microfiber blanket for his bed; my daughter got some mixes for her Easy Bake Oven, some hair bands, and some pens and stationery.

The entire dysfunctional family (me, my MIL, my ex, his girlfriend and the kids) will be barbecuing at my house (that I share with my MIL) on Sunday, haha... there is nothing traditional about holidays with us. :tongue:
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yep, I will be boiling tonight, coloring tomorrow and then making deviled eggs with them for Easter dinner. :) There are too many fun coloring kits out there NOT to have fun coloring eggs!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I just picked up my kit yesterday! Of course, it didn't occur to me to pick up eggs at the same time, so I'm hoping there are still some left when I go to the store tonight.

I got them pretty standard Easter fare, but since they're a bit older I also put some different stuff in their baskets. For starters, their "baskets" are actually these cool, modern style garbage cans for their rooms. They both got bunnies and Peeps, and they both got new reusable aluminum water bottles for when we go on hikes. I got my son a new skateboard helmet, and a new fluffy microfiber blanket for his bed; my daughter got some mixes for her Easy Bake Oven, some hair bands, and some pens and stationery.

The entire dysfunctional family (me, my MIL, my ex, his girlfriend and the kids) will be barbecuing at my house (that I share with my MIL) on Sunday, haha... there is nothing traditional about holidays with us. :tongue:

Haha. Funny, I also party with the ex! We're doing game night on Saturday and Sunday brunch, and I LOVE coloring eggs!
  • TheMotherAwesome
    Options
    Haha. Funny, I also party with the ex! We're doing game night on Saturday and Sunday brunch, and I LOVE coloring eggs!

Also funny is that my ex is Filipino. Ha!
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I do I do :bigsmile: just got done boiling the eggs ( I love when we dye them) When I was a small child my great papa said that my older brother made a egg that was DooDoo colored :tongue: So 3 generations later we have a contest to see who can make the best DooDoo colored egg. The kids love it We make cupcakes too and put green coconot on top (like grass) and add a bunny peep and mini jelly bean eggs (get it the bunny laid eggs) :laugh: I love easter.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    We do various Easter egg hunts (including one at our church) around town. We make Easter cookies from a kit (comes with sprinkles, icing etc, we do them for every holiday) and we also buy egg dye kits to color eggs and we hide them. We also do candy filled eggs. The kids get baskets full of toys and we gather as a family to eat at my momma in laws house. We read from the bible and talk about the life, sacrifice, death and resuurection of Jesus Christ and what we are thankful for so far this year. Its just a terrific day!
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We colored eggs this morning. I was totally bummed though because one of the kits I bought you could put shiny accents on the eggs and I could not get it to work. The kids didn't really care but I thought it was going to be great. haha They enjoyed just dying them so therefore I did too.
    This year on Easter we decided to stay home with the kids and bypass all the family events we are always invited too. When I say ALL I mean 4 sets of grandparents Easter lunch and dinners. It is always just too much and the kids are tired and whiny and don't get to enjoy the day. So, we decided to hang out and play with the new Easter gifts which always end up to be fun outside toys. We'll be cooking a Papa Murphy's pizza for dinner to enjoy with our deviled eggs. Quite a combo but hey this is what they requested. =)
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    We are taking our 3 1/2 year old to see How to train your Dragon and eat out tonight for dinner, and then will boil eggs an color them tomorrow...and then Sunday morning when she gets up she can do an easter egg hunt in the house.

There is a local easter egg hunt here in town but it is raining cats and dogs so if its like that again tomorrow we will be skipping it.

Oh and I am going to make eggs benedict with either lox or crab for breakfast tomorrow and these for dinner with mashed potatoes:
    http://steamykitchen.com/363-pan-seared-steak-rolls.html
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

Also funny is that my ex is Filipino. Ha!

This is how we roll, apparently!!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Mine are all way to old now :-(
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I loved coloring eggs when my kids were younger. Now my daughter has a family of her own and they color eggs. My son is 23. I think he may be a little old to still color eggs. hmmmm. Maybe not though. I'll have to ask him. :laugh: :laugh:
  • TheMotherAwesome
    Options
    I loved coloring eggs when my kids were younger. Now my daughter has a family of her own and they color eggs. My son is 23. I think he may be a little old to still color eggs. hmmmm. Maybe not though. I'll have to ask him. :laugh: :laugh:

They're never too old. I'm doing it as much for me as I am for my kids. :wink:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I don't think we'll color them, but hard boiled eggs this weekend is a definite must! One of God's most perfect snacks ;)
  • KalB
    KalB Posts: 42
    Options
    This year me and the hubby are doing the coloring of the eggs ourself while the kids are asleep since we wont have time to do it tommorow but we do the whole 9 yards with the eggs and the baskets. Its so fun to look at their faces as they hunt for eggs. And I have to say the deviled eggs on sunday are extra yummy.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Yup- colored eggs this past Tuesday night with my 3 grandchildren (4.5 yrs, 2.5 yrs, & 16 months) and my 12 year old and 21 year old daughter (my 23 yr old daughter had to work) but her 28 year old husband came over and even he colored eggs with us!

It was pretty fun :smile:

My 12 year old will spend Easter at her father's house this year... but when she gets home, she'll have her annual Easter treasure hunt. She's too old to just hide the plastic eggs around the living room, so there'll be just one on our dining room table with a clue inside. Each clue will lead her to the next egg and after 2 or 3 dozen (the more clues, the more amused and frustrated she gets) clues - she'll find her Easter gift... This year it's a Cookies 'n Cream flavored chocolate bunny and one of the new books she's been asking for - I may also pick up a Webkin for her this weekend if I see a cute Easter one someplace.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    doing it tomorrow!!
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    I don't know why but this thread suddenly made me think of the movie "Steel Magnolias" The part where they're packing all the easter eggs into the back of the car, and Weezer crunches the trunk on top of them.

:laugh:
  • TalonaCat
    Options
    Yup- colored eggs this past Tuesday night with my 3 grandchildren (4.5 yrs, 2.5 yrs, & 16 months) and my 12 year old and 21 year old daughter (my 23 yr old daughter had to work) but her 28 year old husband came over and even he colored eggs with us!

It was pretty fun :smile:

My 12 year old will spend Easter at her father's house this year... but when she gets home, she'll have her annual Easter treasure hunt. She's too old to just hide the plastic eggs around the living room, so there'll be just one on our dining room table with a clue inside. Each clue will lead her to the next egg and after 2 or 3 dozen (the more clues, the more amused and frustrated she gets) clues - she'll find her Easter gift... This year it's a Cookies 'n Cream flavored chocolate bunny and one of the new books she's been asking for - I may also pick up a Webkin for her this weekend if I see a cute Easter one someplace.

Oh how fun!! I'm going to have to remember that when my kids are old enough for that!
  • TalonaCat
    Options
    I don't think we'll color them, but hard boiled eggs this weekend is a definite must! One of God's most perfect snacks ;)

Agreed! 110%
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    We color eggs and I got gold dollars to put in the plastic eggs, the kids really love them and they are low cal, LOL