Juicing

Anyone ever do any juicing? Looking @ giving it a try, but want some input before I spent $ on a juicer.

Can blending be just as effective?

Replies

• droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    I got a juicer 2 weeks ago and I am loving it so far. Thought it was well worth the money. My skin looked better in a week. Blending is still good for you, but it keeps all the fibers in tact so you fill up faster = less ability to consume more veggies. An entire bag of spinach makes about 3 oz of juice. So I can eat a bag of spinach + 2 carrots + 3 apples + 1 large cucumber without having to eat a salad and all the nutrients are available right away.

You might want to get some input from people who have had their juicers for a long time.
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Don't buy a juicer it separates the good nutrients it looses all the fiber. I have every gadget under the sun & hands down would suggest the NUTRIBULLET . It pulverizes everything you put into it skin & all. I make green smoothies & fruit smoothies w it in seconds & nothing is thrown out in the process! I have the Breville juicer, magic bullet, ninja blender & NUTRIBULLET is the best $99 I've ever spent @ Target . Trust me you won't be disappointed only wish I didn't buy all these others gadgets first would have saved some $$.
  • kjw52
    kjw52 Posts: 1
    I been juicing for about 3 weeks now. 2 times a day. However Iam useing the nutri bullet. You get more nutrients. :happy:
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    I bought a high/mid range juicer(omega).... it's now in my closet and there it will stay.
    Just my opinion. I would rather eat. It takes way longer to prep,then clean, and it adds too much to my bill to be throwing away any part of it. plus alot of the juices were not yummy... j/s.. For the same price I can fill up my freezer and get fresh fruits and some fresh veggies for my whole family(myself, my guy, lil one, and my mom who lives with us)
    If I juice then I'm really not sure how to log it, plus it's not filling at all with out the fiber.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    A juicer takes out the fiber that you need and leaves you with all the sugars and calories. If you only remove seeds and bitter rinds then blend at least you get the fiber as well. Why not just make smoothie type drinks and get all the goodness of your fruits and veggies.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    a juicer does separate the fibers from the veg and fruit, but there is no way i could eat that much fruit and veg in a day. i eat two servings of veg a day, one serving of fruit - the old fashioned way. then my husband and i juice a pound of carrots, a couple of apples or pears, a few stalks of chard - makes about 22 ounces of juice in our cuisinart. we drink that down and have exceeded our daily veg and fruit requirements, plus it keeps all the nutrients. by juicing in addition to your diet, you're giving your digestive system a break - it doesn't have to work very hard to digest the juice and absorb all the liquid nutrients.

if you blend or use a nutribullet, it's just pulverizing the fruit. yes, you keep all the nutrients and fiber, but it's going to fill you up and your digestive system will have to work, work, work to break down all that fiber. making thick, fiber full smoothies might be good for some people but it's way too much for me to eat in addition to my regular daily diet. it also doesn't take long to set up or clean up at all. a couple of minutes to wash the fruits and veg, cut the apples or pears in half, juice away, toss the pulp (or save it for other uses), and clean. the entire process (including drinking) takes my husband and i under 20 minutes.

we have felt great since juicing. my husband feels more energized and does not get as tired as he used to. i feel like my skin has improved, my digestion has improved, and i also feel more energized. and it's a great way to get ALL of your nutrients, as long as you juice all different veg and all the colors of the rainbow. (we juice in addition to taking a daily multivitamin and other supplements. it's very hard to overdoes on vitamins/minerals through diet if you are a healthy adult. what your body can't use is excreted through urine.)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    a juicer does separate the fibers from the veg and fruit, but there is no way i could eat that much fruit and veg in a day. i eat two servings of veg a day, one serving of fruit - the old fashioned way. then my husband and i juice a pound of carrots, a couple of apples or pears, a few stalks of chard - makes about 22 ounces of juice in our cuisinart. we drink that down and have exceeded our daily veg and fruit requirements, plus it keeps all the nutrients. by juicing in addition to your diet, you're giving your digestive system a break - it doesn't have to work very hard to digest the juice and absorb all the liquid nutrients.

What's the calorie count on that juice though? Carrots and apples are pretty calorie dense.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member

What's the calorie count on that juice though? Carrots and apples are pretty calorie dense.

my juice tonight was about 14 ounces - carrot, granny smith apples, swiss chard, and cucumbers. 263 calories. and it was 5 servings of veg, 1 serving of fruit. it's a lot of calories for a juice, but it's also nutrient dense.
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Anyone ever do any juicing? Looking @ giving it a try, but want some input before I spent $ on a juicer.

Can blending be just as effective?

Thank you for asking, I've been looking for the answers to this also :)