THROWING IN THE TOWEL??

Options

Replies

• Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Don't throw in the towel, use it to wipe the sweat off your face! -Muffin Top Less
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged - you have lost more than 2 lbs a week! As long as you are doing it in a healthy and sustainable way it will come. I lost more than my "goal" (10 lbs) for January in the very first week. The first week seems to be an anomaly, but it kind of took the pressure off. I'm aiming for 4lbs - 8lbs per month, I weigh in once a week on Monday but don't dwell on the numbers. Sometimes I've done everything right and then some and the numbers didn't budge or they went up, but then they came back down. Measurements also seem to be a much better way to track your progress. Be patient and stick with it! Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    if you do decide to quit - I have a hunch you will only get bigger and bigger and bigger. A year from now you will regret it.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Since I can't see your diary, I'll go over the basics :)
    20 lbs is an awesome loss, especially in just a month. Your body might just need time to adjust, then you'll lose again.
    Make sure you're netting enough calories. Meaning eat back your exercise calories. If you're eating 1,200 it may not be enough so you might want to look into upping them.
    Make sure you're doing some kind of strength training with cardio. While you can lose weight on just cardio (actually, you can lose weight with only a calorie deficit) it may not all be fat. You want to keep muscle, trust me!
    You may need to simply switch up your workout. After about a month, our bodies get use to what we're doing and they adjust. So changing what you do in your workout might also help.
    I honestly can't think of any more but

YOU GO! THAT IS AN AWESOME LOSS, SO DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP! :heart: KEEP AT IT AND KODUS! :drinker:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,925 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Don't quit. I like that phrase, "If you are tired of starting over, stop quitting. "

My daughter had your experience. She lost about 20 pounds and stalled. She was frustrated, so I suggested she reset her goals to a half pound per week. After she did that, she started losing again.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    20 pounds in just over a month is fantastic! Keep doing what your doing. I'm sure it will keep coming off. I"ve been at this over a year. There are going to be times when the weight will go up and then down then up again etc. I've been stuck for 2 months at the same weight but then I've also started using weights. So take your measurements too. Don't just look at the number on the scale. Knowing that my measurements are going down helps me stay focused and not get so frustrated. You'll get there. You didn't put it on over night and you're not going to lose it over night either. Its not easy. If it was then everyone would get thin quickly and stay thin. Hang in there. :happy: YOU CAN DO THIS! :flowerforyou:
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention this when I responded earlier...if you haven't already, make some friends here at MFP. Having people to cheer you on, and for you to cheer on, is immeasurably helpful. I didn't do the "social" aspect of this site the first time I tried it, and I had middling success. I'm doing much better this time out now that I'm making friends -- accountability and support! -- and interacting with others more.
  • gr8tweets1
    Options
    You lost 20 pounds in a month! That is phenomenal, however, we are encouraged here to strive for no more than 2 pounds loss per week. Even though 2 pounds may seem like it is not enough progress on your weight loss journey, it is a realistic, healthy goal. I'm not sure what you did to lose 20 pounds, but it seems to me your body has gone "on strike." As other posters before me have said, stick with it. If you stay the course, you will see results that will be sustaining.

Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes, 20 pounds in a month is a lot of weight. I truly did nothing but eat the calories recommended by MFP with a goal of 1 - 2 pounds per week in mind. I kind of thought that maybe my body was just adjusting as well. I have also had my calories recalculated since initially starting this journey so as you and others have stated, patience!!!! LOL, sometimes when things don't go according to my plans, frustration sets in. Thanks again for the motivation and support. It means more than you know!
  • gr8tweets1
    Options
    "Never give up on a dream because of the time that it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Posted from one of my lovely MFP buddies this morning.

The time will pass anyways, so why not get healthy. Stop focusing on the goal and focus on each day. Make non scale goals and strive to achieve them each and everyday. :) 20 pounds in a month is super awesome.

Great words of wisdom! Thanks for sharing!
  • gr8tweets1
    Options
    Don't give up! Plateaus are very frustrating but if we quit every time we hit one then we'd never get anywhere. Just keep at it. By exercising you may add pounds in muscle but the more muscle you have, the more fat you'll burn. Just give it time.... Eventually the numbers will catch up and you'll be so happy and proud of yourself for overcoming this hurdle :)

If we quit every time we hit one then we'd never get anywhere...................how true is that! Thank you for helping me and supporting me. I appreciate it!
  • gr8tweets1
    Options
    Thank you! It is nice to know that others understand. Your thoughts are appreciated and have already helped. Cheers!
  • gr8tweets1
    Options
    Don't throw in the towel, use it to wipe the sweat off your face! -Muffin Top Less

LOL!! I love it!

Thanks
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have stalled too, but I am kinda use to it, I know i stall then it falls off, but it can be disheartening. I have actually upped my calories yesterday from 1400 to 1600, my bmr and i am not going to eat any exercise calories back. Going to give this a go for a few weeks. Never give up, what is the other option if you to, to gain it back:( Add me if you like:)
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    You can do this don't give up I have lost the same 4lbs for the last 4 months it happens please dont give up you'll regret it :flowerforyou:
  • gr8tweets1
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Don't quit. I like that phrase, "If you are tired of starting over, stop quitting. "

My daughter had your experience. She lost about 20 pounds and stalled. She was frustrated, so I suggested she reset her goals to a half pound per week. After she did that, she started losing again.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I like that phrase too! Great words to live by!
  • I get really frustrated. I am following my diet, excersing some (because I had a stoke and it's hard plus now I'm so fat) .Can anyone give me suggestions to get my weight going?:sad:
  • gr8tweets1
    Options
    To EVERYONE who took the time to speak to me. Thank you! This morning I was nothing but discouraged, now after all of your great posts, words of wisdom, support and motivation I feel better. In fact I feel very grateful to be part of such a caring community. I am just happy that I have another day to work towards my goal. You guys ROCK!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    NOBODY should ever throw in the towel. Except this guy.

tumblr_m3nvuazGXB1qkbg7co1_500.gif
    and this one..."pick your poison", "whatever floats your boat", "do your thang' " another set of cliches.
    tumblr_lvdusroWbv1r0zjxho1_500.gif

For MFPers tho' "stick a pin in it", "shelve it", "put it on the back burner", all okay cliche's. Throwing in the towel, no.

Here's a pic to motivate you...until you feel confident enough to do this in a towel don't give up

towel-day-at-beach.jpg
  • stlukesfan
    Options
    I am right there with you on your frusteration. I was like you... When I first started I lost 15 lbs in the first ten days. After that it has been a bit of a struggle, but I have been talking to people and they have all said that your body will have it's up's and downs with how fast the weight comes off. Since the fifteen pounds have come off I have only lost I think three more additional lbs. The way that I look at it is as long as I keep trying, there are going to be ups and downs through this. I just keep telling myself that there are other people out there with the same struggle and so I just keep taking it one day at a time.

Just know that you aren't alone.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Our weight loss journey takes time and dedication, we didn't gain a ton of weight in a short period of time yet we expect it to fall off so quickly. Many years ago I went on the Cambridge Diet and lost 80 pounds in two months, I looked great but felt like crap. I then gained back 100 when I went off that diet. I've tried many a diet and threw in that proverbial towel over and over. What did that do for me?? It gave my body the opportunity to develop Diabetes, one of the worst diseases in a persons life. Never curable and a quick culprit to death. Your body does many things, you can go blind, deaf, lose limbs..all because your pancreas can't make the needed insulin for your body. I found out too late that throwing in the towel is a bad thing and that is NOT an option this time. I'm here to help anyone that needs help, I'm here to keep myself alive. I'm here to show that there is a way to live with Diabetes and to thrive in that life. Never,never give in..you are so worth it. Feel free to add me as a friend, I'll tell you to stick to it.