186 lbs and 5'4".. anyone similar?

Options

Replies

• michelle506
    Options
    I am 5'4" and at my biggest I was 291 lbs. miserable and in pain all of the time. I finally decided to take charge and had gastric bypass surgery. Over the last 2 1/2 years I have lost 111 lbs. Unlike most people who opt for surgery I did not get stick thin or have any adverse side effects to breads or other carb laden foods. The surgery did its job and allowed me to get down to 165 before I was back on my own ( surgeon explained that after about a year your body adjusts and weight loss stops unless you work at it just like someone who has not had surgery) but still had not learned to eat healthfully. I have stopped over eating but calorie/carb filled flavored coffee has been my most recent response to stress. I am back up to 197 from 165 and I need to get my head in the right place to change my eating habits for good. People tend to think surgery is an easy out but if you don't address the emotional eating or plain old bad habits you still gain the weight back. The other pit fall is the rapid weight loss created stress to my back and I now have 4 herniated discs so working out is a challenge. I have struggled with this process but I am determined to make healthy life changes and meet my goal of 160 lbs. It has been an emotional journey but I have learned a lot about myself in the process. Hoping to get into a great bathing suit by this summer. You can check out my pics on my profile page.
  • I am brand new to MFP. I am 5'2 and 186. In August I got down to 174 (doing Insanity and doing a 5k) but with poor eating and skimping on the gym, I shot back up. I am starting my journey again. I know how and what to eat, and I love to exercise when I can squeeze in the time, but I never had anyway to accurately log my calories in/ calories out. I am looking forward to MFP as a tool to reach my goal. I officially start tomorrow with clean eating and exercise. I'm looking for motivation and inspiration from others.
  • Ydrgn
    Ydrgn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and am about 174 but my starting weight was 205 (yikes!). I lost 30lbs with myfitnesspal last year but gained 10 back. Now I am back on here and determined to lose at least 20 more lbs. There is so much information our there that can be confusing but the thing to realize is that you need to see what works for you. I use the calories set by MFP as a guide not a rule. Some days I am under and some days I go over but I try to limit those days. I think that your set goal of eating around 1200 is a good one but I think the important thing to realize is that your NET should be that number. If you exercise and are way under that then that can counter productive. I know because I have done it. I was getting used to this thing and was a lot under but not losing much but I figured how to balance and began losing a little more. Thats all it is: balance. Feel free to add me, I am not always this wordy :). And good luck on your journey; its frustrating hard annoying and tedious work but so worth the effort. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that :O)
  • KenzieMBurke
    KenzieMBurke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and my starting weight was 191. I am down about 10 lbs and my goal weight is 125.
  • meowkapow
    meowkapow Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I started at 185 lbs... I'm now 129 after 520-ish days. I plateaued at 155 and again at 132. What helped was doing Insanity at 155, and then TurboFire and eating "clean" helped me finally break under 130.
  • DiamondWoman
    Options
    bump
  • atla_moves
    Options
    I'm 5'3", started at 183:

seacow.jpg

This during pic was taken at about 143ish:

IMG_0402_zpsb3b3591a.jpg

I lost the initial 40 lbs, maintained for a year, then decided to lose ~20 more which is what I'm working on now. I did it through a paleo diet (mostly bc of necessity due to food allergies but it does work very well) and hiking, but for this last 20 I'm adding swimming and strength training.

Be patient! Be consistent! You CAN do it, and it is so worth it. :)
  • emma155
    emma155 Posts: 152
    Options
    im 5'4 123lb now but have been 135lb. feel free to add
  • TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I started at 245 a year ago, I'm stuck now where you are starting. I cant post my pic, but its my profile picture.
    Feel free to add me.
  • Deemom8
    Options
    I am 46 yrs. old, 5'4" tall and at Christmas my weight was 200 lbs and my blood pressure was rising. Starting by joining a gym and slowly but surely adding more and more helalthy foods everyday. I have so far lost 8 lbs, but am losing inches also. I have brought my blood pressure down naturally and am on the right track. Am trying to get to 165 by summer ! I know I can do this .
  • Joy201
    Joy201 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and have lost 24 lbs since last year. I started the DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution program earlier this year and have lost close to 10 lbs while following this program alone. I exercise 3 to 4 times per week, focusing on jogging on the treadmill. I try to keep my calories around 1200 to 1600 per day. My goal is to get down to between 135 to 140 lbs. I have no specific date in mind to reach my goal weight, but would love to get there by the end of this year. I just need to stay focused. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • KatherineDevore
    KatherineDevore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 186 & 5'4 exactly. I've had the hardest trouble losing weight. Actually, since I've started dieting & exercisig I have GAINED two pounds, I am a retired gymnast and I am currently a student with a job.
  • tmlaird
    tmlaird Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2", 186 lbs and over 45.. I was very small until about 12 years ago. Then I had a lot of life changes, and I woke up one day and realized how big I had become. I have said for several years that I want to take the weight off, but I keep de-railing myself for some reason. My daughter is getting married next year and I REALLY want to be my goal weight by then. I have three children and a husband that I love more than anything, and I want to be around for them for many years to come. I know in my heart that I need to lose weight in order to do that, but I can't seem to keep myself motivated. Today is the start of my new journey, and I pray that I can stay on track this time...
  • sarahmom2
    sarahmom2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started out last month at 186 lbs and am 5'4". One month later I'm down 10 lbs, and it has just been tracking my food and exercising 5-6 days a week. It's not about finding something quick, it's about finding what works for you and something you can stick with. I know I was actually heavier than 186 but I didn't start tracking my weight till the day I weighed in at 186. Just keep at it, don't worry if you have a bad day, just jump right back on the horse and keep on going. Also, set small goals, one big goal can be daunting and can set you up for failure.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6", started at 198, currently around 165. Started in October 2012. Feel free to add me (with a message) for support!
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started at 216 on a different weight site. Came over here at around 180 in January, and now I'm 169. Ten pounds in 2 months may not sound like a lot, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. Feel free to add me. :)
  • ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and 178 pounds, I started at 196 pounds :) feel free to add me. I'm 20 years old, a part time student and I'm eating about 1200 calories (and eating back exercise calories). I'm doing Couch to 5k which I'm really enjoying and am thinking about doing 30DS? :)
    xx
  • KateRepine
    KateRepine Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Me! 183 lbs, 5'4". It's ok, I'm on my "stay on track" plan too - lol. Day by day!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, starting weight of 197lbs. I am currently at 153.4lbs. My goal weight is 140lbs but my ultimate goal weight is 130lbs. I started with a 38 inch waist, 43 inch hips and about 43 inch chest too. Since July 2012, I now have a 35 inch bust and hips, and a 26 inch waist. :)

I eat 1533 calories a day!
  • originalkazila
    Options
    I'm currently 5'4" and 189 lbs. my start weight was 195lbs. Anyone can add me :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!