Not a morning person

Options
I usually need a cup of coffee and a good hour to get me going in the morning. I keep trying to get up and get to the gym or go for a run outside first thing and I just can't get into it. I find any excuse not too and usually leave my workouts for after work, but I feel kind of sluggish then. Any ideas on how to get up in the morning to exercise?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're sluggish before AND after work. I can understand. If you're not a morning person, just keep going after work. I change at work and drive straight to the fitness center, so I have no excuse to start slacking on the couch or watching something on TV.
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either, and although I have every intention to get up and go to the gym and set numerous alarms, have my gym kit neatly laid out for me and charge my ipod etc the night before, I just can't seem to get up.

I think if you aren't a morning person, don't force yourself to be one. A lot of people I know tell me they can't face the day unless they've went for a morning jog, read a book, had a large breakfast and even done a bit of shopping before they start uni at 10am, I on the other hand prefer to roll out of bed 30 minutes before I need to be somewhere. I would just stick to afternoon exercise if I were you!
  • mwrh
    mwrh Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a friend who had the same problem, she ended up going to sleep in her running outfits. After a few wake ups of staring at herself in the mirror in her gear when she slept in it became enough to give her the motivation she needed.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Getting up MUCH earlier may work, like if you have to be at work at 9, get up at 05:30, take the time with your coffee and then give it a go. But this will require going to bed early which sucks.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I hate mornings, too. The only time I've ever been any good at doing morning workouts was when I buddied up with a morning person for 5:45 am runs 2-3 times per week. It lasted 2-3 months, until it got too dark to get our distance in before we had to be at work and she decided that she really did hate running. During those months, I felt great and made huge strides in my running (pun intended). I'd like to find another morning person workout buddy to inspire me, because I respond very well to guilt-tripping myself with regard to another person. Do you have any sort of reward that you could offer yourself to make up for the mornings? Like treating yourself to a mani/pedi after X number of early morning workouts in a row? If you're working out at a gym, is there a sign-up for accountability buddies who want to work out at the same times?
  • alliepee11
    Options
    I feel for you. Given the option, I would work out at one or two pm every day, but that's not possible while keeping a normal schedule. I do find that if I can drag myself out of bed, after twenty minutes or so I actually enjoy the early workout, but I still generally workout after work.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person, just not a morning workout person.. Just got to push yourself to wake up, roll over put the shoes on and blast some wake me the eff up music. I did this morning and as much as it sucked, its now done with and I can do whatever else I want with my day. Such a good feeling!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I am a morning person, I wake up without an alarm between 4:30-5 am most mornings. However I am not necessarily a morning workout person. I have begun to go to a 6 am yoga class, but a more vigorous workout in the morning rarely happens. Only if I know there is no other time to fit it in can I make myself run in the morning.
  • steffenym
    steffenym Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I think I'm going to try to go to a class where I feel obligated to go!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you're not a morning person its usually because you dont get enough sleep. Go to bed earlier until it feels right getting up early in the morning. Another good trick is to leave your curtains open, natural sunlight in the morning will help you wake up. Also put your alarm clock on the other side of the room, this will force you to get out of bed to turn it off, hopefully keeping you out of bed.