One of those "what am I doing wrong"

Options
Besides the brief stint in 2010 where I logged about a weeks worth of calories, I haven't been on since. Otherwise, I'm pretty new to MFP, so I guess here's also an introduction. :)

I started using MFP to log my calories about a week ago, but I've been trying to lose weight starting two weeks prior. Two weeks prior, I was down to 117. Now I'm back up to 119-120. I know the body fluctuates, but I'd really like to start moving down in the scale number or inches, which hasn't been happening really either. I thought by now, 3 weeks, I'd start seeing something tangible.

My diary is open; there's only a week's worth of entries, so I'm not sure how much help that is. It's definitely not perfect, but it is what it is. I could go back and log the previous two week's worth of food since I have it written down, but I don't know how helpful it would be. The biggest difference between the food I wrote down on paper and the food logged here is that a week ago is when I started making a conscious effort to eat a lot of protein; I don't know if that makes a different. Prior to that, I just ate mainly vegetables, fruit, rice and beans, yogurt, etc... more vegetarian type diet with meat only 1x-2x a week.

About 2 weeks ago, started working out 6x a week, which varies from 30m to 90min total. I do zumba, power barre (it's like bar method/pure barre), elliptical, and I started my 3rd week of Ripped in 30. However, I go to law school, so I am literally on my butt all day unless I workout.

My goal weight is 105-110 lbs. ; this is what I weighed 4-5 years earlier. I'm 5'4" and light framed. I had my BMR tested by a dietitian, and it was 1345. But that was about a two years ago when I weighed 135 lbs.
I have my MFP set to 1350 calories; though when I started using MFP earlier this week, it had set my calorie goal to 1200 calories. I started reading the forums and found out that 1200 might be a ridiculous number for me. Thus, earlier in the week I was aiming for 1200, not 1350, which will probably be reflected in the diary. The customized ratios I have are 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. I played with the fat to fit tools, and here are its results:
BF 23.5%
BMR 1369
Sedentary 1643 (15% deduction = 1396 daily calories)
Lightly Active 1882 (20% deduction = 1505 daily calories)

Anyway, I tried to include all the info that might be helpful, and as the thread states, what am I doing wrong, what could I do better, or am I just a really impatient person?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and to respond! (And sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

ETA: I forgot to mention that I have my MFP weight loss goal set at to lose .5 lb per week.

Replies

• SeoulSilkie
    Options
    Any advice? Should I focus more on meeting the carb/fat/protein goals? Am I eating the wrong stuff/change my workout routine (even though I just started it 3 weeks ago)? Should I use the TDEE with a smalIer deduction, like 10% instead of 15%, so I'm eating more calories?

I know I don't have much to lose, but even if I could change my body comp. and gain muscle/trim off some fat without the scale budging, I'd probably feel more encouraged than I do now.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    too much sugar and not enough fat IMO but otherwise it looks good. Forego all lowfat and nofat foods and eat regular foods instead. Also ditch the optimum powder and hazelnut chocolate stuff
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    At 5'4, 107lbs is a bit too low don't u think? It's classed as underweight for your height I believe.

Despite it being what you weighed 4-5 years ago, i'm assuming that your body just doesn't want to get that low. In that your set point has changed as you've aged through the years...

If I were you I would focus on body recomposition, start lifting heavy weights and maybe reduce your goal to .25lbs per week and 1400-1500 seems fine as well. It'll take time so don't stress as you don't have that much to loose.

Best of luck

PS. you check out New Rules of Lifting, great guide for strength training for beginners!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    u should try 'reverse dieting' along with strength training to make your metabolism better and more prime for losing body fat.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    At 5'4, 107lbs is a bit too low don't u think? It's classed as underweight for your height I believe.

Despite it being what you weighed 4-5 years ago, i'm assuming that your body just doesn't want to get that low. In that your set point has changed as you've aged through the years...

If I were you I would focus on body recomposition, start lifting heavy weights and maybe reduce your goal to .25lbs per week and 1400-1500 seems fine as well. It'll take time so don't stress as you don't have that much to loose.

Best of luck

PS. you check out New Rules of Lifting, great guide for strength training for beginners!

This saved me a lot of typing.
  • SeoulSilkie
    Options
    Thanks for the input!

That goal isn't the end all be all for me, so it's not a huge concern for me. I'd rather gain more muscle, so I appreciate the info about strength training. :) I'll definitely look it up.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    IMHO, I would say for a petite frame, 5'4 female thats 23y/o a goal weight of 110-119 with BF% 16-19 is realistic and would be toned. You really don't have much to knock off, so it may take a little longer for the scale to catch up. Focus on ur BF%. Up your protein to 35% or 40%. And give it 3 monthsl lift a little heavier 2-3 times a week. Your body comp will totally change in time. Don't weigh in so much....sounds like your alittle OCD with the scale