Calorie help.. PLEASE!!!

Options
I decided to up my calories from 1200 to 1390 per day. MFP calculated my BMR at 1582. Someone please help me figure this out.. I'm confused.. am I eating the right number of calories (I'm 186.7 lbs and 5'4" and 24 years old). I currently do not exercise (I don't need anyone's stories about this.. I know exercise is important, and I will incorporate it once I feel like I have the eating right thing down.)

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How much did you set it to lose a week and what did you set your activity level at? How active are you in the day?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I decided to up my calories from 1200 to 1390 per day. MFP calculated my BMR at 1582. Someone please help me figure this out.. I'm confused.. am I eating the right number of calories (I'm 186.7 lbs and 5'4" and 24 years old). I currently do not exercise (I don't need anyone's stories about this.. I know exercise is important, and I will incorporate it once I feel like I have the eating right thing down.)

BMR is the basal metabolic rate. It is what your body requires just to survive if you don't move at all. Many here suggest eating above your BMR.
    Is 1582 the number MFP gives you after you select your activity level and weight loss goal? Is it the number it suggests you eat? Because if so, it is not your BMR and that is the number you should be eating.

Edited - sorry I misread. But ditto what Sara said. I've been playing with MFP to figure out your numbers but not getting the same.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I believe you should eat above your BMR - mine is 1300 and I eat 1800 and still lose weight (and not lean muscle mass). Eating below your BMR will inevitibly cause loss of lean muscle mass and slow your metabolism.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    If your not exercising I think that is sufficient calories personally.

Zara
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    If your not exercising I think that is sufficient calories personally.

Zara

Based on....
  • fitnessfoodtravel
    fitnessfoodtravel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello
    Eating between 1300-1600 calories per day of clean and whole foods will help you to lose weight and get healthy. I recommend a ratio of 30-40% protein, 30-40% god carbs (veggies and low Glycemic Index carbs), and 30% fat (good fats like avocado, etc.). Also, even if you do not exercise right now, counting your steps and general activities, like walking will help you to assess your progress.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    BMR is what your body burns through normal functioning. To lose weight you need to consume less calories than you are burning. If you only eat 1390, you are in a deficit (losing weight) if your body burns 1582 per day.

BMR is tricky though. I'm not sure how you classified yourself (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) but everything you do above a normal day for that classification also burns calories (walking, etc.). Also if you excercise, your BMR will be increased for a few hours after. The MFP is a good guideline, but you should do some more research to hopefully get a more precise figure.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    BMR is what your body burns through normal functioning. To lose weight you need to consume less calories than you are burning. If you only eat 1390, you are in a deficit (losing weight) if your body burns 1582 per day.

BMR is tricky though. I'm not sure how you classified yourself (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) but everything you do above a normal day for that classification also burns calories (walking, etc.). Also if you excercise, your BMR will be increased for a few hours after. The MFP is a good guideline, but you should do some more research to hopefully get a more precise figure.

BMR does not include daily activity. It is what your body uses while at complete rest.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/basal+metabolic+rate
  • shmurrow
    shmurrow Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options

BMR does not include daily activity. It is what your body uses while at complete rest.

Yes, like I said - BMR is what your body burns through normal functioning. I should have clarified that MFP doesn't give you a BMR - it gives a BMR + calories burnt through lifestyle classificaiton (sedentary, etc.).
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Yes, like I said - BMR is what your body burns through normal functioning. I should have clarified that MFP doesn't give you a BMR - it gives a BMR + calories burnt through lifestyle classificaiton (sedentary, etc.).

I read your post as the activity level selected affects BMR. My apologies.