Losing 0.5 to 1 pound per day...Health Risks?

Options

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any links to a scientific paper that shows PERMANENT metabolic damage from rapid weight loss? A few of you have suggested this, but I have never heard of such a thing. That sounds absurd.

Here you go. Took about 10 seconds of googling:

"Metabolic Slowing with Massive Weight Loss despite Preservation of Fat-Free Mass"
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/early/2012/04/24/jc.2012-1444.abstract?papetoc
  • poopieslippers
    Options
    Does anyone have any links to a scientific paper that shows PERMANENT metabolic damage from rapid weight loss? A few of you have suggested this, but I have never heard of such a thing. That sounds absurd.

Here you go. Took about 10 seconds of googling:

"Metabolic Slowing with Massive Weight Loss despite Preservation of Fat-Free Mass"
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/early/2012/04/24/jc.2012-1444.abstract?papetoc

This does not suggest permanent metabolic damage.
  • poopieslippers
    Options
    So, why are you asking questions if you already seemingly know what you need to do? No one is trying to bash you, but seriously it's silly to ask questions and then criticize the answers from people who have experience.

Nobody indicated that they have done what I did (and plan to do). That's what I was asking for....
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

Neither does it suggest that the metabolic damage is temporary.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think the main concern with rapid weight loss is gaining it all back. I think at a younger age you may be able to lose weight more quickly and it would be fine.
  • poopieslippers
    Options
    Do you have money saved up for the plastic surgery that will be needed for your skin?

My skin is still pretty elastic since I am young. I don't anticipate this being too much of a problem. Maybe it will be, idk.
  • poopieslippers
    Options

Neither does it suggest that the metabolic damage is temporary.

You are correct. Lol.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    From my understanding (from my human anatomy and physiology classes, as well as molecular bio), as long as your putting a significant strain on the muscles (i.e. weight training), they will be built (because the body NEEDS to repair them - and by doing so they are built up).

There are metabolic pathways that take stored fat and use that to synthesize amino acids (and proteins, which is pretty energy expensive). I'm eating a reasonable amount of protein (which contains essential amino acids, so I have all of the amino acids I'll need to make proteins). I'm also supplementing with a multivitamin.

Speaking from my experience last time, I definitely built muscle. When I got down to 200, I was able to do about 150 pushups in a single go (when I started my diet, I could do 0 push ups).

You need a SURPLUS of calories to build muscle. Strength training alone will not build muscle.

Repairing current muscle and building muscle mass are two different things. Increasing strength does not equal more muscle mass. Following your plan you will in fact LOSE muscle... which will cause your metabolism to decrease.

As another poster already pointed out, you seem to already have your mind made up so why come here asking for advice/information when you really don't want to hear it?

Your plan is dangerous and not sustainable yet you still want to go through with it.

This is crash dieting and you will be starving your body. Your body requires many more calories than you plan on giving it to just run your organs. Unless you eat 1200 calories worth of chicken you will not be getting enough protein.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Well, you answered your own question in a way. How did it work out for you last time? You gained all the weight back. What do you think is going to happen this time?

Why not take a sensible approach and more importantly - use that approach on a PERMANENT basis so you're not gaining and losing weight constantly. If you "felt great" on 1200 calories then why did you regain all the weight? Because you didn't feel great on 1200, you needed (and wanted) to eat a lot more. And you did, resulting in the destruction of your previous losses.

Moderate deficit, lots of time. Give yourself a year at least. Even better - two.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    Do you have money saved up for the plastic surgery that will be needed for your skin?

My skin is still pretty elastic since I am young. I don't anticipate this being too much of a problem. Maybe it will be, idk.

Your body changes over time. Just because you are young doesn't mean your skin will just pop back.

Fast and unhealthly weight loss will cause your skin to be loose.
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    From my understanding (from my human anatomy and physiology classes, as well as molecular bio), as long as your putting a significant strain on the muscles (i.e. weight training), they will be built (because the body NEEDS to repair them - and by doing so they are built up).

There are metabolic pathways that take stored fat and use that to synthesize amino acids (and proteins, which is pretty energy expensive). I'm eating a reasonable amount of protein (which contains essential amino acids, so I have all of the amino acids I'll need to make proteins). I'm also supplementing with a multivitamin.

Speaking from my experience last time, I definitely built muscle. When I got down to 200, I was able to do about 150 pushups in a single go (when I started my diet, I could do 0 push ups).

You need a SURPLUS of calories to build muscle. Strength training alone will not build muscle.

Repairing current muscle and building muscle mass are two different things. Increasing strength does not equal more muscle mass. Following your plan you will in fact LOSE muscle... which will cause your metabolism to decrease.

As another poster already pointed out, you seem to already have your mind made up so why come here asking for advice/information when you really don't want to hear it?

Your plan is dangerous and not sustainable yet you still want to go through with it.

This is crash dieting and you will be starving your body. Your body requires many more calories than you plan on giving it to just run your organs. Unless you eat 1200 calories worth of chicken you will not be getting enough protein.

agree 100 percent!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    35003905.jpg
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    So, why are you asking questions if you already seemingly know what you need to do? No one is trying to bash you, but seriously it's silly to ask questions and then criticize the answers from people who have experience.

Nobody indicated that they have done what I did (and plan to do). That's what I was asking for....

People aren't doing this because it is dangerous, unhealthy and leads to more harm than good. People are advising as to why it's not a good idea to do. You don't need to of done something to realize how bad of an idea it is.
  • poopieslippers
    Options

I asked for advice from people who have done this. Sorry if I was not clear enough.

I don't care if I'm ripped after this...I'm just looking to lose some weight.

I'm pretty sure that muscle can be built from fat stores....that is what I learned in my graduate level biochem course anyway. Is this definitely 100% incorrect? If so, I should demand a refund. :P
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

I asked for advice from people who have done this. Sorry if I was not clear enough.

I don't care if I'm ripped after this...I'm just looking to lose some weight.

I'm pretty sure that muscle can be built from fat stores....that is what I learned in my graduate level biochem course anyway. Is this definitely 100% incorrect? If so, I should demand a refund. :P

Muscle and fat are two entirely different things. I'm not sure how you think muscle can be built from fat - fat does not turn into muscle, nor does muscle turn into fat. I'm sure that your graduate level biochem course did not teach you this.
  • poopieslippers
    Options

People aren't doing this because it is dangerous, unhealthy and leads to more harm than good. People are advising as to why it's not a good idea to do. You don't need to of done something to realize how bad of an idea it is.

I have done this before, and I was good and able to maintain for over a year. Then I just got lazy and gained it all back. To gain 70+ pounds in 3 years, you have to really not be trying to lose weight. I was not. Lol.

I was just wondering if someone has done this and had a heart attack or something.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

I have done this before, and I was good and able to maintain for over a year. Then I just got lazy and gained it all back. To gain 70+ pounds in 3 years, you have to really not be trying to lose weight. I was not. Lol.

I was just wondering if someone has done this and had a heart attack or something.

If you are set on doing this, consult your doctor. I'm sure they will tell you 1200 calories is not enough calories for most adults, let alone a grown man, but at any rate, you'll hear from a professional rather than the MFP community.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I would send in for that refund...