-300 calories by eating less or exercise?

Options
I can run/walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes and burn 300 calories. I can also not eat my afternoon snack and consume 300 calories less. Apart from fitness, what is the benefits of cardio if you're going to eat back the calories anyway? e.g. I could eat 1400 calories, or 1700 calories and do -300 on the treadmill.

Replies

• natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Fitness IS the benefit, and it is a huge one! I have lost weight without exercise, but until I really got into the habit of exercise, I didn't keep it all off. You body will be stronger, and eating more really helps you stay on track. Not to mention elevating your mood, etc. I started with 30 day shred and things like that, then got into running, and have been maintaining since last May. Now my goals are more fitness related - getting stronger, running farther and faster. Keeping the weight off and having more energy, etc, are almost a side benefit to doing what I now love.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Overall health. Recent studies have shown exercise is better at preventing diabetes than a healthy diet. This on top of a better mood, increased energy, increased metabolism, ect makes food versus exercise a no brainier to me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Overall health. Recent studies have shown exercise is better at preventing diabetes than a healthy diet. This on top of a better mood, increased energy, increased metabolism, ect makes food versus exercise a no brainier to me.

This.
    And the simple fact I get to eat that 300 calorie snack. I like food.