Signed up for a personal trainer

Options
I signed up for a few sessions with a personal trainer at my gym. I work for a hospital so I know my trainer is pretty qualified. I am meeting her Friday for my health assessment. What do you expect from your trainer?

I really have no expectations other than learning how to use all the machines in the gym, maybe lose a little more weight with her help and learn how to get an overall body workout. I already do the biking, walking and elliptical so I am hoping she can help me in other areas also.

What have your experiences been like?

Replies

• Thedij
    Thedij Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'd expect a personal trainer to recommend an appropriate exercise routine and to ensure my technique is correct. It's essential to avoid injury!
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I expect to work so hard that I want to curl up on the floor and cry when I am finished, but that's just me ;)

One reasonable expectation to have is to gain enough knowledge that you are able to put together your own fitness plan when you are finished with your sessions. I would also expect the trainer to push me outside of my comfort zones.

Oh, and be wary of the trainers who gab too much! I'm a social person, I love to chitchat but PT is expensive, let's workout!
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer. I expect them to take into consideration what my body can and can't do. I have arthritis in a few joints and when my shoulder is done.. it's done.

Both of my most recent trainers have been great. They allow me to be able to lift weights and use machines I need help with.. Like they have to hand me the bar at level that does not strain my shoulder.

I love that they: challenge me without insulting me, give me encouragement, make me feel welcome when I come in by myself to use the machines, comment that they saw me "tearing up" the treadmill.. stuff like that.. And I am stronger, more confident and I would not have attempted most of the stuff I do with them by myself. I'm too used to being a failure in Gym 101.. now I feel like a Gym Rat (well, sorta)

Here are some things I've hated about Trainers in the past
    Take the whole time "perfecting" something
    Talk about all the people they've helped
    Stare at themselves in the mirror
    Seem random with plan .. and spend too much time looking for equipment
    Do the exact same thing every time
    Insist that you do something that you have already said HURTS!!
    Act bored or chat chat chat
    Take questions from other patrons (come on folks, I'm paying here)
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I do my research. Some trainers are best qualified in some areas and not others.

I expect to be pushed to my limits

I expect to be feeling fatigued after every session

I expect advice on diet and nutrition

I expect a good training programme I can carry on with when Im not working out with my trainer.

I do have a female trainer but I have known her for years. if she left I would go with a male trainer next time. Male trainers appear to just get on with the session and not talk about the weather or the weekend antics.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    One other thing - have the trainer write down everything you do, with notes for explanation if you need it and the weights you used, so you can do the same workout on your own later in the week.