Replies

• msgabismit
    msgabismit Posts: 195
    Options
    bump for later..you guys keep it up! :)
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Out of the chair at least once an hour, various stretches to stay loose, always take the stairs, try for a quick walk on lunch when the weather isn't too horrible. My one saving grace is commuting by bike, everyday at least 10 miles (round trip).

Reminds me I need to stretch!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I do a little bit of office yoga about once every couple hours. There are some stretches and positions you can do in your office or even in your chair. I have problems with having a sore back and neck from sitting all day, so this really helps me feel better.

oooh can you tell me please what yoga poses you do? I get tight hamstrings and weak glutes/quads from sitting alot
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I sold my car and bought a bicycle and commute to and from work on my bike (about 20 miles round trip). I've been doing it all winter long in Portland Oregon. My co-workers give me crap about it, since it rains all the time here, but I'm the healthiest person in my office by far.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    On Mon, Wed, Fri I jog at lunch for 30 minutes. On Tues and Thurs I walk for about 45 minutes (also on Saturday, but I'm only talking work week). I Lift after work on Tues and Thurs (also Sat). I chase around my almost 3 year old seven days per week. I'm also the head chef at the house, so I spend a good couple hours every evening making meals and cleaning up.
  • MrsRogers2010
    Options
    If we're not busy, and there are days where we are not, I will go to the conference room and walk at a fast pace for 15 minutes. I try to break it up so that I'm not away from my desk for too long. Say 9 - 9:15 walk, 9:15 9:30 work, 9:30-9:45 walk and repeat until I have reached at least an hour. And if I get an interruption during that time and can't quickly get back to the walking, I will add the additional time to my next walk. It helps a lot! I've found that on the days I am able to do this, I don't have headaches from staring at the computer all day and I'm more energized!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I close the door to my office and do this:

Push up position at my desk, (make your body like triangle with both palms on the edge of desk) Do 1 push up then bring your right knee to left elbow, then left knee to right elbow. Repeat for 20, and if that's not enough do more. I also walk the mall on my lunch break if it's raining or outside when it's not. I stretch, do wind mills with my arms, and if I feel really frisky- get down with some squats.

My coworkers? They know I'm crazy so they just keep walking.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    if you have a door, close it and do some jumping jacks, some dips on your chair, pushups off the wall/desk/floor, squats
  • herebeeri
    herebeeri Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I go for a brisk 40-55 minute walk a bit after eating lunch. I've done it pretty much every working day this year (even when it was snowing). I love having that time to myself outside to break up the day. If I have a lot of work on I come in early or stay late rather than miss my lunchtime walk when it's actually light outside!
  • Rgon1102
    Rgon1102 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The only walking I used to do at my current office job was to the big *kitten* bowl of candy at the front desk and then I gained 15 pounds .
    Now a co-worker and I take two brisk 15 minuite walks (1 mile) during my work shift.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    For people like me who are chained to a desk most of the day, how do you stay active during the day? I try to get up and walk during my lunch hour and get away from my desk and walk around (even if it's just my office) anytime I can.

Any hints, tips, or tricks to staying active all day?

I make sure I get in a good workout 4 - 6 days a week after work hours....that's what I consider the 'real' workout. That being said I like to keep active during work hours to with frequent walks, take the stairs, stretching in the bathroom ect ect.
  • insane5150
    insane5150 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Each and everytime I use the restroom.... I do 30 jumping jacks, squats, or squat punches. I drink sooo much water, that I frequent the restroom a lot. + I have my normal afterwork workout.

Give it a try.... every little bit counts.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    I just envision myself kicking *kitten* during my workout later that night and then when it finally comes time to lift I am that much more motivated.
  • jenn_sullivan
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I just brought in a stability ball and use that for part of the day. My core is like jello, so it is taking me some getting used to. Our suite is on the 3rd floor, so I take the stairs as much as possible. We DO get an hour lunch but usually things come up, it's super busy and we have had to take a "working lunch" which means stuffing your face while in a meeting. When we actually get to use our lunch hour,we try to get SOMETHING in. When the weather is nice, a few few other ladies and I take a walk or when it's nasty out, we use an empty suite as a mini workout room. We bring a laptop, put in a workout DVD and get going. I got moved from an office with a door to a cubicle (sucky, huh?) and when I had my office, I jumped rope. I would open up my door after a mini workout and people would be looking at me funny because I'd be all sweaty and my hair a mess. You may also want to buy some small dumbells (I have three pound ones under my desk) and try to get in some curls or whatever. Hope that helps.
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am on the senod story, I dont use the rest room upstairs. So I have to go downstaris everytime i have to use it. I visit down stairs coworkers during the day or in the shop to move. But it is hard when you need to be at your desk to actually get work done
  • StephGettinFit
    StephGettinFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Two coworkers and I do lunch everyday together and we do it potluck style.. Every week someone brings a big thing of greens, someone brings the veggies, then the third person brings the protein for the salad. We throw some canned or homemade soups in the mix too.. Or leftovers from the night before like stirfry etc. it has been helpful for us, especially with all the fast food options nearby
  • chaffstealth
    Options
    I feel your pain! What's worked for me in the past is spend my lunch hour walking up and down the stairs (our building has 6 floors). It helps too if you can coerce a lunch buddy to do it with you so it doesn't feel like work!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I run six miles or go to the gym most days at lunch.
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    I started riding to work 3 days a week. Drive takes me 40mins, cycling took me an hour when I first started and now takes about 45-50mins so almost the same time as driving. Fortunately I have a shower that I can use at work (another 15mins). If you didn't have a shower in your office could think about a gym membership that lets you access a chain of gyms so you could go both close to work and close to home.
    If I'm buying lunch (most of the time I don't) I can walk to the shops.
    Go for a swim before work couple of mornings, which helps me not be quite as fidgety at work.
    Other than that at work I get up and walk around every few hours. Drink lots of water so I have to make frequent walks to the bathroom. Sometimes stand up and do stretches etc at my desk if I'm feeling stiff.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Pack a lunch, hide a yoga mat behind the door & a set of dumbbells under the desk.

Close door for an afternoon workout.