Smoothie & healthy drink ideas?

Options
DorisR184
DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
Hi peeps! I've been wanting a Vitamix for so long, and I FINALLY took the plunge and ordered one :happy: I was hoping to get some ideas for healthy smoothies or drinks to make in it? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Hlami
    Hlami Posts: 12
    Options
    Well done! 75lbs is an amazing accomplishment! I throw half a cup instant plain oats into a blender to soak overnight with 2 cups water, in the a.m. I throw in my protein powder ( mine is low carb, whey, and is 100 calories for that delicious vanilla taste- vanilla has worked with everything so far) , a half cup fat-free milk, a generous handful of spinach or a head of romaine and fruit: either a cup of berries, an apple, banana, nectarine or grapes.... I love it, it's satisfying and the signal for refueling doesn't come up till close to lunchtime.

Good luck!
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My regular smoothie after a long workout is a scoop of vanilla protein powder, 1 cup milk, 1 cup ice, 1 banana, 2 tablespoons Nesquick strawberry powder. It's 400 calories for the entire amount which is 4 cups - so it's 100 calories/cup.

If I'm just hungry, I keep it simple. 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 cup water, 1 packet of Splenda. This is only about 40 calories which is a great late night snack if you're cutting calories.
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Water, 1 scoop dry chocolate Muscle Milk, 1/4 c frozen blueberries. I have this for breakfast almost everyday. Yum!
  • sprytez31
    Options
    250ml skimmed milk, 1 banana, 1 tbsp peanut butter (or half a cup of toasted oats and a teaspoon of cinnamon or mixed spice), 6-8 ice cubes. blend until smooth :) works out to 330-ish calories, bulks up to over 500ml and is tasty and filling, whichever route you go down :)
  • What is it in calories? Sounds yummy! I would love to give it a try!:flowerforyou:
  • Hi! Where do you get the dry chocolate muscle milk?
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love my vitamix! I like green smoothies, such as kale with mango, or parsley banana and green apple, sometimes I have carrot with Apple or mango. These blenders can turn anything into a smoothie!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Itll come with a cookbook with tons of smoothie recipes.
  • Seasidedebbie
    Seasidedebbie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Love my VitaMix - I've had it for over 10 years.

I just made frozen yogurt - I froze a container of Chobani Greek Yogurt, thawed just enough to break into lage chunks and put it in the VitaMix low and slowly moved to high and it came out the consistency of soft serve ice cream and it was yummy.

Now to freeze non-fat plain Chobani and add my own flavors.

I also make sorbets alot.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    My all-time favorite smoothie: for each serving, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup orange (or other) juice, 1/2 banana, 1 cup frozen fruit (whatever you like). Honey to taste, if necessary, as some fruit is sweeter than other. Nutrition info is going to vary depending on type of yogurt, fruit, and whether or not you add honey. You can also use vanilla yogurt--since it's sweetened, you probably won't need any other sweetener. If made with blueberries, vanilla yogurt, orange juice, and no honey, it comes out to 264 calories, which makes a decent breakfast.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all so much for the GREAT suggestions, I can't wait to try them out! I can honestly say that I'll seriously be stalking the UPS truck this week lol :happy:

@ XtyAnn17, yes I'm aware it comes with a cookbook, but it doesn't hurt to have as many recipes as possible :wink:
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Another favorite is ice cream. Per person add 1frozen banana, 1 teaspoon of cocoa and 1 teaspoon of peanut butter.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    4 scoops protein powder, 2 bananas, 2 cups milk, 2 cups ice, 4 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 cup oats.

only 1640 calories
  • nursbrooklyn
    Options
    I use a little ice, one cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup non-fat greek yougurt, 2 tablespoons PB2J (peanut butter powder), 2 tsp. flaxseed, 1 tsp honey, one banana, and a big piece of kale.
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The ice where I live always tastes funny, so I freeze bananas for all of my smoothies. I usually use 1 banana, 1/3rd cup rolled oats, 1 cup milk, and a spoonful or two of Greek yogurt as a base for all of my smoothies.

Then I add any other fruit I want! You can also add spinach in to get an extra serving of vegetables without noticing. :)
  • onsugarhill
    onsugarhill Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Vitamix, but I just bought protein powder last week for the first time and I've discovered two protein shakes I love! I've been trying to come up with combinations like the ones I used to make with just fruit, juice, and yogurt.

Strawberry Shake
    (303 calories, 31g carbs, 1g fat, 43g protein with my ingredients)

- 85g nonfat Greek yogurt
    - 1 serving vanilla protein powder
    - 140g frozen strawberries
    - 1 cup skim milk (can use 1/2 cup depending on how thick you want it)

I like it when the strawberries are still a little chunky. To me, it tastes just like a strawberry shake from a restaurant! It makes a huge serving that keeps me full until lunch.

Raspberry Chocolate Shake
    (308 calories, 30g carbs, 4g fat, 40g protein with my ingredients)

- 100g 2% Greek yogurt (my grocery store was out of nonfat)
    - 1 serving chocolate protein powder
    - 140g frozen raspberries
    - 1/2 c. skim milk

I had this for breakfast this morning & it was amazing!
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1 cup whole milk greek yogurt
    1 cup blueberries
    1 cup pinapple
    80g kale (handful or two)
    1 scoop grape xtend (or preworkout for caffiene in the morning)
    8oz whole milk
  • ellejay1214
    ellejay1214 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The one I make my guy has been dubbed the Hulk Smoothie and it really keeps you full for hours:

2 scoops of vanilla EAS Advantedge protein powder (100 cal)
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk (40 cal)
    1/2 frozen banana, medium (~45 cal)
    1 - 2 cups spinach or kale (whatever you prefer; also, if you freeze the fresh leaves, they blend WAY smoother) (14-50 cal)
    *optional: 1 spoonful of reduced fat peanut butter (or you could use PB powder, but I haven't found any yet) (90-180 cal)

I'll make the same thing for me without the peanut butter because I don't want the calories... but if you have the calories and you need the protein ADD IT!
  • Butterflyblue_
    Butterflyblue_ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    my morning smoothie

1 scoop of vanilla or chocolate protein powder
    frozen banana
    1/2 cup almond milk
    2 tsp honey
    1/2 cup of chilled coffee
    2 to 3 ice cubes
  • eastonna
    eastonna Posts: 30 Member