Normal Person Questions About the Gym

Options
2»

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Might be good to get ONE training session with a certified trainer, so you can get a routine set up. Also ASK. The gym may offer you some guidance and instruction. If you dont want to do either, do teh bike, or treadmill at first work your way up. Then maybe some weights.
  • weaponx25
    weaponx25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out the beginners workout for gymjunkies.com This is what got me motivated to start losing weight and getting fit. Vic McGary had a way of training that really hit home to me. After the beginner section there is some higher level workouts.

As far as doing weight training I believe that it is something that should always be done. Overall you will burn more calories while resting with weight training than without (up to 36 hours after the weight training). Cardio will burn calories as well but only while performing the cardio.

Good luck.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    As i am getting use to going in the mornings before work, I just do cardio in the morning to help wake me up. I hope to add weights into that once my body adjusts to wakin up earlier to work out.

my favorite part about the gym are the classes!
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have a complimentary assessment and sometimes a session with a trainer too. I would take advantage of that if they do. I used to see a trainer once-twice a week and I swear by it. I can't afford that now, but it was key for me to keep me from getting too bored.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    When I was going to the gym (before I moved), I would do strength exercises from bodybuilding.com and then do 30 min of cardio. I would have an arm day, leg day, ab day, etc. I would come up with my own routine from that website.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Mort gyms will give an orientation tour and help you get started. Yes, they ate trying to sell you a contract with a trainer, but you don't have to do that, unless you want to. Eventually...you may! For now...the staff are there to answer questions and ive never encountered one who was less than polite and helpful.
  • Coachrock11
    Coachrock11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think weights is a must for weight loss and i'll give you a few reasons why.

1, if you lose a substantial amount of weight you're going to want some muscle to help fill you out and prevent any loose skin.
    2. the more muscle you have the higher your basal metabolic rate. which means when you lose the weight your metabolism will be faster and you'l be less likely to put it back on.
    3. being stronger will allow you to do more intense cardio which is more fun.

As far as routines google and weigh your options. I suggest 3 day full body split to start then a push pull leg split (again google those and see what you think.)
    Again you have to find what you like i personally took to "bodybuilding" style workouts, but you may find you like cross fit or powerlifting or some other form of lifting try em all and have fun.

Hope this helps most important step is that first one.