how do you fuel long workouts?

Options
hi--I've been wondering how I should best time my meals/calories on days where i have heavy workouts. For example, on Thursdays I go to a bootcamp class at 7:30 pm and do an hour of cardio prior to this from 6-7 (some mix of running/elliptical). How should I time my snacks/meals etc. so that I have enough energy throughout the workout?

I would typically eat around 1900 calories on this kind of day and am having difficulty timing everything right--i typical have breakfast at 9, lunch at 12, a snack around 3, a pre-workout snack of a banana and then something in between cardio and bootcamp (i've been having a fruit leather for this so that i just get a quick shot of carbs/sugar but don't have a full stomach). The only other thing i can think of is maybe using some gatorade? or possibly turn my 3pm snack into more of a second lunch?

breakfast and lunch are usually around 300 calories for me and dinner 400--leaving about 900 calories for everything else

Replies

• susannahsutton1
    Options
    I eat an extra 200 or so calories the day before to help of complex carbs that are slow burning
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    How about having half your lunch at 12 and the balance at say 2.30. Snack at 4 and maybe a protein shake or banana at 6. 2 hour work outs - wow.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Either some quick oats before I work out

or sometimes I'll use a PreWorkout supplement. (Craze, Wyked, Maniac, Jack3d Micro, etc...)
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I would eat something decent sized with protein and complex carbs around 4, then a banana prior to the start of the workout.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're overworking out.
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    yeah.. i think i need to treat my afternoon snack as more of a fourth meal, i could do some greek yogurt with kashi go lean crunch to get some protein/carbs and see if that helps and save the banana for between the cardio and bootcamp

yeah i know it's a heavy gym day, just works out with my schedule that way for that one day, most days aren't quite so intense :)