The downside of getting in shape...

Options
It's harder to burn calories!

I've been doing heart zone training for almost 9 months now. This includes weekly:

1 hour zone 3 - about 160 bpm
2 hours zone 2 - about 140 bpm
3 hours zone 1 - about 120 bpm

I find it's more and more work to get to these levels. For example zone 3 used to be achieved by level 15/16 on the elliptical; now it takes level 17/18. Now I need to use level 16 to get to zone 1!

I guess I shouldn't complain too much :) Maybe I just need a change - maybe even running??? I never would have thought.

Replies

• PeloMichelle
    PeloMichelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    MIxed blessing! Running sounds like a great chance to switch it up. Awesome job!
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    So true!
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    toss it up by doing the M100's or do Funk roberts metabolic workout. both on youtube
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Definitely time to mix it up.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    but it hardly matters cause you're in shape, or almost there!
  • Cslauson86
    Cslauson86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, I too have reached the same frustrating conclusion. I too have started running a LITTLE while out walking. I want to make sure my knees, back, etc. can handle it. I guess we now know why all the runners are out there so long and often... My new bike will be in on Tuesday. I'll give that a try too. Good luck!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Great news! Sounds like the most important muscle of all is getting stronger!!
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yep! Funny, one of my friends on my news feed just mention how her workout doesn't net as many calories any longer and I told her it is was a mixed blessing - but still so worth it. :drinker:

Also, the cost of clothes you have to buy to replace the ones that no longer fit because they are way too big! It's crazy but still worth it!! And while I'm on it, have you seen what seamstresses get for taking in clothes - it's crazy expensive. :noway:
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    toss it up by doing the M100's or do Funk roberts metabolic workout. both on youtube

Those look intense! Thanks for the suggestion.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail right on the head!

I think my resting heart rate is about 60 these days, and I have to be working really hard to get it up to 120.
  • cal_73
    Options
    Yep! Funny, one of my friends on my news feed just mention how her workout doesn't net as many calories any longer and I told her it is was a mixed blessing - but still so worth it. :drinker:

Also, the cost of clothes you have to buy to replace the ones that no longer fit because they are way too big! It's crazy but still worth it!! And while I'm on it, have you seen what seamstresses get for taking in clothes - it's crazy expensive. :noway:

Definitely worth it :) I should look more at getting them taken in but also like getting new stuff :)
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Spinning is great, too, if you have access to a gym or a bike.
  • cal_73
    Options
    Yes, I too have reached the same frustrating conclusion. I too have started running a LITTLE while out walking. I want to make sure my knees, back, etc. can handle it. I guess we now know why all the runners are out there so long and often... My new bike will be in on Tuesday. I'll give that a try too. Good luck!

Have fun with the bike! I use a bike to commute and now seem to associate cycling with moderation - I ride in "normal" clothes and always ride slow enough to avoid sweating.
  • cal_73
    Options
    Spinning is great, too, if you have access to a gym or a bike.

Thanks I might try a class. They look pretty intense and almost fun even :)
  • Cslauson86
    Cslauson86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Have fun with the bike! I use a bike to commute and now seem to associate cycling with moderation - I ride in "normal" clothes and always ride slow enough to avoid sweating.

"Avoid sweating" yep, I'm past that. Takes more time to clean up after sweating. Still waiting for my husband to put my bike together. I guess it will be his project tomorrow. If not, it will be mine. :smile:

As for new clothes, I've been fishing out of the closet where my old clothes. I'm about out of those too. I visited some consignment shops for both my outgrown clothes (to sell) and for new clothes to wear until I shrink down to the next size. I have found that JC Penney's has some professional work clothes for better prices than some of the consignment shops.

Thanks to everyone for sharing!