Measuring food portions?

Options
I just bought a food scale to help me with accurately counting my calories. It measures by weight and has a measuring cup. My question is on fresh fruits and veggies, do I measure by the weight? Or by the cup?

The reason I ask is because when I measure by weight 2 oz of broccoli shows on the measuring cup as a full cup of chopped broccoli. So do I count it as a cup of broccoli? Or 1/4 of a cup of broccoli?

I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I don't want to cheat anymore!

Replies

• CreativeFedora
    Options
    You'll have to find the best way you're comfortable with. Some veggies/fruits measure out well using the measuring cup measurements others are best weighed. I use MFP data and find out the best way to portion my veggies/fruits.

For instance:
    Broccoli - I measure it out using a cup and cut up trees fairly small
    Carrots - I weight out a portion by ounce
    Strawberries/Blueberries/Blackberries - measuring cup
    Mushrooms - Weigh out by grams

- H
  • lessofme150
    lessofme150 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do everything by weight when ever possible. For example, if the bag of carrots say 35 calories for 85 g, I measure out 85 grams.

One thing I found out is that the cups vs weights aren't the same in a lot of cases. For example, I used to measure my cheerios using a cup (I think it's 3/4 for one serving) and the box also said said one serving is 28 grams. If you weigh out 3/4 of a cup, it's more than 28 grams.

Typically if I run into this, I use the smaller amount of food.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    2oz of broccoli means 2oz of weight, not 2 fluid ounces (which is 1/4 of a cup). If you weighed it at two ounces, find the weight measurement in the database you (you will see an option for either ounces or grams) and either input it as 2oz or convert it to grams (2oz is about 57g).
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My question is, do I weigh my meat before of after I cook it, to get a true portion size?
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    I still need to get a food scale, but if you want an opinion i'd say don't even bother weighing your fruits and veggies unless they're crazy high calories. Most fruits and vegetables are so low in calorie you will hardly have anything to worry about when consuming them.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask is because when I measure by weight 2 oz of broccoli shows on the measuring cup as a full cup of chopped broccoli. So do I count it as a cup of broccoli? Or 1/4 of a cup of broccoli?

I think I understand your confusion - are you asking why a cup of broccoli isn't 8 ounces like it says on the measuring cup? A measuring cup only measures fluid ounces (liquid) and not weight. For weight, you need a scale.

Also, I think measuring is well worthwhile if you trying to get 10 servings a day (which is recommended). If this is the case, they can add up.

Hope this helped,
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My question is, do I weigh my meat before of after I cook it, to get a true portion size?

That's a really good question too! When I did weight watchers, they said if you couldn't weigh the food, then to use something like "a serving of meat is the size of the palm of your hand, or a deck of cards." I really try to go by that.

Thanks for all the answers. I think I will go by weight for now, until I get used to using proper portion sizes. Then I can move on to measuring with the cup.

I love this sight because every one is so helpful and I always get immediate responses!
  • staplebug
    Options

You have to weigh your meat BEFORE cooking. So, if you see 6 oz. steak on the site, make sure that steak weighed 6 oz. before you cooked it at all.
  • thepotz
    thepotz Posts: 34 Member
    Options

before :)
  • corneredbycorn
    Options
    Before, unless the item in the database specifies cooked. The reason for this is that a 4oz hunk of meat has the same nutritional value if it's cooked down to 3oz of juicy perfection or 2oz of overcooked jerky. This goes for anything where liquid is either added or removed in the process of cooking.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    2oz of broccoli means 2oz of weight, not 2 fluid ounces (which is 1/4 of a cup). If you weighed it at two ounces, find the weight measurement in the database you (you will see an option for either ounces or grams) and either input it as 2oz or convert it to grams (2oz is about 57g).

This. I have figured out which of my bowls holds how much. they have little correll bowls, I think they are dessert bowls. They = 1 cup. I have a scale as well. When i use it, I measure the container first, so I have correct weight.

Some one asked about meat. I measure cooked. but after reading others responces. I will start measuring cooked.
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    Weight is the best measurement for anything. With liquids, and you can't compress it or chop it up different it's ok to use volume, but for everything else you should use weight.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    I weigh my fruit & veggies. I use CalorieKing for looking up by the ounce. All liquids I measure with a measuring cup.
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This thread was very helpful as I am just learning to measure, weigh especially, my foods.The meat should be weighed before cooking, so I can now cook only the correct portions for the two of us, and freeze any left over for later. Money saving will be a good thing too!
    Donna155
  • CreativeFedora
    Options

This is an ongoing debate as to when to weigh your meats. I personally do it after it's cooked since some raw meats tend to be heavier then cooked meats leading to a difference in nutritional values. And if you;'re watching your cals and macros there can be a large shift.

I buy meat in 2 - 3 pound increments and portion them out to 3 - 5 oz servings depending on the type of meat. After cooking enough of the meats you start find out how much weight is lost in the cooking process. I've noticed a 5 oz patty of 93/7 sirloin ground beef loses about 1.5 oz once cooked. Tilapia and bass tend to stay the same weight after cooking.

- H
  • corneredbycorn
    Options

This is an ongoing debate as to when to weigh your meats. I personally do it after it's cooked since some raw meats tend to be heavier then cooked meats leading to a difference in nutritional values. And if you;'re watching your cals and macros there can be a large shift.

I buy meat in 2 - 3 pound increments and portion them out to 3 - 5 oz servings depending on the type of meat. After cooking enough of the meats you start find out how much weight is lost in the cooking process. I've noticed a 5 oz patty of 93/7 sirloin ground beef loses about 1.5 oz once cooked. Tilapia and bass tend to stay the same weight after cooking.

- H
    There is very little debate about this, except from people who don't understand what happens when meat gets cooked. Meat is always, always, always weighed raw unless the specific entry in the database specifies that it is cooked. The weight that is lost is primarily from water which means all the nutrition from a 4oz piece of chicken is still there if an 1oz of water cooks out. If you are entering it as the cooked weight when the entry does not say it is cooked, you are undercounting the calories.
  • CreativeFedora
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated! That just means more protein for me, yay!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Everything by weight to be the most accurate.