How to get great legs?

Options
Yup, I know, general weight loss will help. And I know there's no such thing as "spot reducing." And I know I need to get in shape all over, take some off around my middle.

So, all that said, if you really wanted to concentrate on making your legs looks great, what would you do for exercise?

I'm not going to give up the other stuff (walking, jogging, aerobics, etc.), but what can I add? I probably should confess that I've always had fairly substantial legs. So besides working against the ravages of time (I'm a 49 yo SAHM) and my own innate laziness (I'm a writer, which means zero physical requirements for my job), what would anyone recommend?

Oh, last bit of information: I'm not saying I want skinny legs. I want strong, healthy legs. Legs that will get me where I'm going. Legs that will kick some *kitten*. Not going for spindly toothpicks.

Replies

• dstromley1
    Options
    squats. lots of em
  • Bubbl3s25
    Options
    I love bush walking. Gets you out and about and tackling all those hills is a great workout
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am different in that I am on my feet all day. I find walking or running up and down hills, not always steep, just a good mixture. For strength I am doing squats, lunges and dead lifts. I am finding that as I lose weight, my butt and everything are looking better. I do work my full body .
  • Heitor71
    Heitor71 Posts: 224
    Options
    squats. lots of em

Yes
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts.
  • Werrrkitgurl
    Options
    Lunges, walking lunges, reverse lunges and squats.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I always had what I consider stocky looking legs. They were always really thick. Not fat, just really generally thick and heavy muscles. I wanted a bit more feminine look to my legs (not that muscles aren't feminine, I hope everyone knows what I'm trying to say) so I looked at legs of women I admired and realized ultimately I wanted "dancer" legs. Lean, shapely and strong, but uber sexy too. So, I figured if I wanted legs like a dancer, I should do more "dancy" things. So I do Zumba, and DDR, and it's working really well to get me what I want :wink: :smile:
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options

Oh, last bit of information: I'm not saying I want skinny legs. I want strong, healthy legs. Legs that will get me where I'm going. Legs that will kick some *kitten*. Not going for spindly toothpicks.

Weight training. Squats, lunges, Squats, deadlifts, Squats, calf raises, Squats, leg extentions, Squats, donkey kicks, Squats, hip thrusters, & Squats...if you get my drift...Squats are important!! :)