Treadmill vs Elliptical

Options
Hi MFP Friends. I recently increase my miles on the treadmill preparing for a mini marathon. Then...started to have pain in my right foot. I was not willing to stop exercising, but had to lay off the treadmill. Any thoughts on the two pieces of equipment? If I keep training on the Elliptical, when I make the transfer to the pavement on race day, will I be able to get my 10 miles in? My foot is feeling better and I did 30 minutes on the Treadmill today, but am wondering if I should do half and half. I am challenged by the Elliptical. Just want to hear what you all have to say. Thanks for your impute! Kimberly

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love the treadmill.. I do HIIT on it all the time and that's all I use it for. I can always challenge myself on it and use it as a tool to increase my endurance (works hand in hand if you are training for a marathon).. I don't see the elliptical increasing my endurance the same way as I could on a treadmill. I don't see how the elliptical will really prepare you for the transition from machine to pavement..

I would recommend making sure you have new running shoes that you only use for running - when I started out on the treadmill a couple of weeks ago, I was wearing old shoes and I had shin splints galore. If you have access, look into doing some of your workout on a treadmill and the rest at an indoor/outdoor track.
  • tunzjnky
    tunzjnky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I dont think of the elliptical as really walking or running. More like biking while standing up. I don't know much about this but I would think the actual act of walking/running on a treadmill would benefit more since it's closest to what you are training for. Be careful with that foot though! Hopefully you find out what it is and how to feel better!
  • weaponx25
    weaponx25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I started walking at 4.5 mph with the incline on Level 20. I got to the point where I could barely walk my feet hurt so bad. I started riding a bike for a while but kept going back to the treadmill. Feet were always hurting. Finally I bought a brand new pair of asics running shoes and since my feet stopped hurting and now I walk for an hour a day again.
  • lessofkimberly
    lessofkimberly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks I have been running for almost a year. Shoes are most important. Thanks for your thoughts.