Meal prep questions?

Options
Question:
Do you prep all 3 of your main meals and snacks?
Or just lunch?
for 3 days? 5 days?
I know it's up to however you want to do it.. I'm just starting out and am curious about what has and hasn't worked for you guys.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

Replies

• CreativeFedora
    Options
    I only prep veggie and fruit ingredients at the top of each week. My fridge is full of Tupperware filled with diced goods.

For veggies that I mainly use, I dice bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, jalapenos, carrots, and broccoli. It makes it so much easier to open the container and scoop up the portion for the dish once it's all diced up - and it's a time saver.

When it comes to fruits the only dicing I do is for cantaloupe, honey dew, watermelon, pineapple, and sometimes strawberries.

For meats, I buy 2 - 3 pounds at a time when there is a sale at the grocery store. Once I get home I portion out the meat into 3 - 4 oz servicing and freeze, thaw as needed.

It really comes down to your own personal preference and devising your own plan.

- H
  • sacehel
    Options
    It completely depends on what I'm prepping. If I'm cutting veggies to make a scramble for breakfast, I'll often cut twice as much and just have a scramble the next day too since it's pretty much ready. I definitely am not the personality type to do a week ahead, I eat by what I'm craving for the most part (within the confines of healthful eating! haha). If I'm on a tight schedule for work, I'll probably make a lunch or two ahead while I'm making dinner (triple up on a pasta dish or something).
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    Ahh ok. I was just wondering what has worked for other people. Awesome, thanks!

One meal prep that has worked for me is making whole wheat pasta/ground turkey/spaghetti sauce. It lasts a long time, fills you up, and makes quite a few meals [for lunch] but other than that i've been having a rough time with it.

i am definitely going to start prepping my fruits and veggies.
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    Can't go wrong with brown rice, chicken breast, broccoli. My other favorite is baked tilapia and broccoli. I cook all mine sunday and they last me till Saturday. Keeping it simple works the best for me though.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have been known to make four main dishes on a Sunday afternoon, portion everything out into individual containers, keep out what I need for that week and freeze the rest. Then I can have lots of variety. Right now I have chicken Tikki masala, turkey chili, ham and bean soup, green pepper and turkey sausage casserole, and chicken pesto pasta on hand.
  • susannegreen
    susannegreen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually do one day in advance, I change my mind a lot! But I do make sure that everything I am going to eat the next day is planned and packed before bed, I don't want to risk eating on the fly!