do you follow the mfp guidelines?

Options
I am asking if you follow the calories it suggests? I have a fitbit and according to mfp and fitbit I will burn about 3080 cals by the time the day ends. I pre-logged todays eats and I ended up around 2100 cals even tho mfp said 1980 was my goal (i knew i was gonna run this morning) but then later in the afternoon I decided to do some weights and with my heart rate monitor on I burned an additional 144 cals ontop of the 527 from my run...fitbit also adds an additional 72 cals from normal every day activity.

so I have my planned dessert and mfp says 589 cals remaining....fitbit says i can still eat 542 cals and both are set for a 500 cal deficit for weightloss.

I know my calorie target in mfp includes a deficit so I look to the NET amount and its ar 1452...thats under my BMR of 1680. I had a chocolate skim milk glass and a pudding snack to help bridge the gap. I AM FULL, and i dont wanna eat anymore, im at 2400 cals or so now and I know i will have a larger deficit than 500, but can this really be right?? Do you follow the calorie guidelines and adjust depending on exercise or just stick to one target regardless of exercise?

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have followed myf suggestions and have lost weight fin the past year. I just got a fitbit and this is my second day but I been taking a little bit of a two day break of logging and calorie counting so tomorrow will be my first day with the fitbit and counting like normal.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I view the MFP simply as a database to help keep track of my daily consumption. The breakdown of the foods we eat and the quantity is something each of us need to figure out for ourselves based on our own goals. It took a long period of time to add the weight on, so a couple extra weeks here or there experimenting to see how different ideas affect you is nothing in the grand scheme.

I am not a big fan of adding back in calories. I think at some point we all go back to normal person eating (no tracking) and knowing how to maintain without that step is worthwhile to keep things simple.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use it as a guideline. If I know I have gone over my goal for the day, it is just the motivation I need to get in a little extra exercise for the day. Overall, my goal is to lose weight. If that is being accomplished, then it doesn't really matter what MFP says your calorie intake should be. As long as calories in is less than calories out, you will lose.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have trusted and followed mfp's guidelines for the last 11 months and have lost 48 kg (105 lbs). The only thing I do differently is use the calories burned from exercise from my HRM rather than the mfp database because the numbers from the database appeared to be more accurate when I was unfit compared to now when I am much fitter (I.e. I burn less calories now)