Proper kettlebell form - who is right?

Options
Okay, I have two different kettlebell workout DVDs and they seem to directly contradict each other on proper form. I just watched the new one today... and so now, I'm confused.

My first DVD suggested a form akin to squats. In other words, back straight, natural curve to spine retained and essentially tailbone out to back. The new DVD says to keep your "bones locked" and your hip bones tucked under? Then, you POP your whole body to fire the kettlebell up into position.

So, who is right? And why do you say so? I'm inclined to believe my first set of disks more because it seems to protect the back more, I'd think. By tucking the hips under, I think you'd be prone to almost curl the lower back and injure it. I dunno.

Input and discussion please.

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Go talk to a trainer who has experience with kettlebells.

I say this in the nicest way possible because as much as I think one DVD may be more correct, I would hate to read that you got injured. I believe a trainer can walk you through proper form
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think they are both right. The trainer I work with taught me to do it the first way you describe and it is the way I prefer but another trainer explained that there are different schools that train in different ways, he was trained in and teaches the second way you describe.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's like my first video. I think I'll stick with that method as it seems to protect the back more IMHO.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    is this for kettlbell swings? if so i think the second is right because it's not really a squat since it's more explosive than that, but the first is correct in that you want to get your booty to stick out so you can engage the glutes, hams and hips. your hips should POP because that is essentially what is moving the kettlebell upwards.

also your back is protected by keeping your core tight
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

great vid.

You don't want to squat the KB you want to swing it with a hip hinge and propulsion from hamstrings/glutes.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's like my first video. I think I'll stick with that method as it seems to protect the back more IMHO.

That's my thought as well. I've tried using more of a "pop" for a swing and it just doesn't feel right.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

That's my thought as well. I've tried using more of a "pop" for a swing and it just doesn't feel right.

are you engaging your hips?
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    are you engaging your hips?

Have you watched the video? In a proper swing, you snap your hips forward.

EDIT - My first post should have said "full-body pop". Perhaps that's the confusion.
    I've seen some videos that keep the hips tucked in and say to use the whole body. That way just doesn't feel right.
    Push the hips back, then snap forward with the hips and glutes.