Calories burned while shopping for hours...?

Options
I was just wondering what an estimate would be of how many calories I burned today. I shopped for clothes and groceries and other things for about 5 1/2 hours with my hubby. We went to Walmart, the mall, Barnes and Noble, Bed Bath and Beyond. We weren't always walking, sometimes trying on clothes and standing. This includes a short break for lunch! For MPH, it just you know, regular slow strolling pace.

I realize this is debatable to be considered "exercise", however my normal activity level is sedentary all day because of my job. So when I was out for about 7 hours today, I know I burned more calories than normal. I'm also just curious if anyone else has done this same scenario with maybe a calorie burner wristwatch. I'll definitely lower what anyone says, just because any guesstimate might be overshooting it.

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I would probably just pick the slowest walking option on mfp and log that, maybe knock some of the calories off it in case of overestimating.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    depending on how much you weigh, you can figure you burned 1 to 2 calories per minute of the time you were actually walking.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    usually when i have days like that, i would log it as walking at 2.0 and log the actual time as half of what i did. so maybe log it as 2 1/2 hours. i do the same with house cleaning and shoveling and things like that.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,902 Member
    Options
    I cut the time in half and enter it as slow walking 2.0 mph.
  • meglet175
    Options
    I agree. I sometimes wear a pedometer, and a "quick" trip to Walmart adds up to 2000 steps - that's a mile! I often log errands as walking at a slow pace and shave off some of the time to account for the standing around I do, but it adds up - especially for power-shopping like you did today.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The "Sedentary" setting accounts for normal activity like shopping. Unless you were speed walking without a break, it's not exercise.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I only count real workouts as exercise.People gain weight shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. so they aren't exactly going to help you loose weight. Just my personal opinion.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I only count real workouts as exercise.People gain weight shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. so they aren't exactly going to help you loose weight. Just my personal opinion.
    Normally I would agree, but in this case with her being on sedentary setting, not usually doing much moving, and doing it for such an extended time I would say it counts.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Since you were just strolling around I would not count this as exercise, no need to count the calories. The only way I would maybe count this as exercise is if you were extremely obese and practically bed-bound.

I hope you enjoyed your day out with your husband :)
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! And I did enjoy the day out :)

I do have to say that I would call this case a little bit of exercise and disagree with a couple of you. When I say sedentary, I do mean sedentary. My job doesn't even require me to get out of the house. Its a stay at home, sit at the computer job. So the difference between being on my feet and getting in and out of the car and walking all over the mall and such for hours is a big difference than sitting at home all day. (and its a small home, not much walking required)

Well, I'm doing something right, I've lost 13 lbs so far in almost 2 months!
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are doing something right, no one insinuated otherwise! Congrats on the weight loss!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I usually just log an hour or two of a similar activity, in this case, walking.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I would consider it a bonus and not log. One day of burning more calories than normal is not going to hurt you nor will it benefit you.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The "Sedentary" setting accounts for normal activity like shopping. Unless you were speed walking without a break, it's not exercise.
    I wear a fitbit and today was my off day. Did nothing, except walk very slowly for 4.0 miles and still met my moderate activity level of 2484 cal/day. If you workout 1-2 times a week your considered lightly active. Totally disagree with the above statement.