im trying to kick pop, is mio ok to substitute?

Options
for a while now ive been down to 3 or 4 pops a week. i only drink diet coke. not a big pop fan, but i enjoy something with flavor.
im trying to officially quit pop now and its tough! i live with people who dont want to quit pop, normally id just not have it in the house!

i drink the zero calorie powerade but i try to limit that to just for when i go to the gym, even though its cheap i dont need to be buying lots of bottles lol

i found this MIO stuff at the store and it seems healthy with zero calories and all, but my first thought is whats the catch? lol
so far it tastes good and i dont feel the urge for soda. and its cheap and goes a long way.

every day i easily drink the amount of water i should be, but i am just a thirsty guy. i run a lot and lift a lot which makes me extra thirsty. i dont want my working out to go to waste if this MIO is making my water counterproductive

Replies

• Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking soda pop 15 years ago this week. It is a rough struggle! At the time I was observing Lent, which assisted me... sadly my religion may have fallen by the wayside but I still stand firm on not drinking pop!

When I quit I originally started with 2-3 cans a day at work of the regular cola. After a few months I got sick of it (around the new year) and switched to diet. That didn't last long because diet tastes pretty terrible to me. I switched to water for the Lent thing and never stopped.

MIO isn't a bad choice, but I'd probably limit it to just when you "need" it (kinda' like chewing nicotine gum, you don't do it all the time, just when you feel you MUST do so... at least that's how the literature reads...) There isn't much of a catch--it costs you some money and in exchange you get a zero-calorie flavoring for your water. It uses artifical sweeteners to give it it's flavor... it's like drinking "Sunny D" where there's practically zero oranges in the "Orange Juice"-equivalent drink. MiO is laboratory-created and contains non-calorie sweeteners, so your results may vary (or you'll end up with diarrhea, or headaches, or whatever else folks online conjure up as their symptoms, real or otherwise.)
  • timetoletgo
    timetoletgo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hi - i recently cut pop (diet) out of my life. It's been two weeks. I have suffered from terrible headaches each day, as I am certain this is because I quit. I say quit the pop, and don't do the MIO - its one artificial sweetener for another. Best to stick with water, plain old water. Try lemons or oranges or even cucumber slices in your water for a change of pace. There are hundreds of articles online about the dangers of pop (both diet and regular) so truly its best to just walk away and never look back. Good Luck to you, I know it's hard!
  • maryellen8301
    maryellen8301 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    that's ALL that i drink any more.. soda (pop) makes me sick and sometime juice has too many calories..
    i also drink coffee but not a lot maybe a cup or 2 a day..
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Mio is great, I also like the Diet Fuze Ice Teas and I like Coffee just black, and I like the Coke Zero better than the diet cuz it has no calories and it tastes more like regular soda.
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For me, I like soda because of the fizziness so I decided to buy a SodaStream. I can make my own club soda and I squeeze in some lemon and lime to make it taste like a citrus soda.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's in Diet Coke, but Mio doesn't sound any better.

Water, Malic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Contains Less than 2% of Natural Flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium (Sweeteners), Potassium Citrate, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative).
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use MIO, and I find that it helps with my soda cravings. I know nothing is as good as pure water, but to me it is better than regular sodas (and I love a good ice cold coke!!)
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i hate - HATE - plain water. i cannot drink more than 16-20 ounces a day. i have tried so many times to drink water. i've tried to replace every other drink with water (i drink diet coke). i just can't do it. i hate it. when mio came out, i figured it was a good way to get my water. i tried a couple of flavors and hit on the orange tangerine and strawberry watermelon. i need just a squeeze in my 16 ounce tervis and now i don't even bring diet coke to work anymore! i drink between 48 and 64 ounces of water each day at work. i now only drink a couple of diet cokes at night with dinner. it still has an artificial sweetener in it, but it has no caffeine and no calories - and it really satisfies my thirst. each bottle has 24 'servings' in it and each 'serving' is in 8oz of water. i used less than 1/2 a serving in each of my 16oz cups, so i can't imagine it's much worse for me than any of the other crap i would put in my body :)
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Mio contains propylene glycol which is one of the main ingredients in antifreeze. No thank you.
  • mercurymads
    mercurymads Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    for me it was the same thing - i just wanted the bubbles! try the flavored seltzers and club sodas - NOT the ones with aspartame, just "essence". (i think the ones with aspartame are called sparkling water - but check the label until you get to know your store's brand)

if you need to for the first few weeks do a pinch of sugar or 1/4-1/2 a splenda (or sub sweetener of your choice). soon enough you can work your way down to just soda water with lime or lemon. its crisp, refreshing -- and counts toward your cups of water per day.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago, I weaned myself off of soda pop during the course of 2-3 weeks. I bought the mini-bottles and would take a hit off of one when I felt a headache coming or just needed to satisfy a craving.

I found Sobe flavored waters to be a good substitute, and I drink one a day (usually a half bottle with lunch, the rest at dinner). It's zero calories and about 7-8g of carbs for an entire 20 oz. drink. I also drink protein shakes/juices as well. Those might be good alternatives for you. And water can be boring, but if you keep a pitcher in the fridge, I find that cold water can be pretty thirst quenching. Good luck to you on kicking soda pop. I think it's worth it. Not being a slave to a caffeinated beverage is pretty liberating.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Mio contains propylene glycol which is one of the main ingredients in antifreeze. No thank you.

propylene glycol is considered safe for consumption by the fda and is found in numerous food products:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=12&po=14

it is also an ingredient in antifreeze - in the animal safe antifreeze that doesn't kill pets when ingested. perfectly safe for moderate consumption. it's also an ingredient in antiperspirant/deodorant, as well as many other cosmetics... and as quoted on the following website, "There have been claims made that propylene glycol is an inappropriate ingredient for cosmetics and foods because it can also be used in products (such as antifreeze) which one would not want to consume. Such observations are well-intended but ultimately not very informative. It is ethylene glycol, for example, which is a more common ingredient in antifreeze and which is, in fact, highly toxic."

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/research/ingredients/ingredient-detail/propylene-glycol
  • Loulousq
    Loulousq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i looove water. to avoid soda, i'll go for a flavored sparkling water
    strawberry
    black cherry
    lime
    kiwi strawberry lemon
    yummm
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

propylene glycol is considered safe for consumption by the fda and is found in numerous food products:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=12&po=14

it is also an ingredient in antifreeze - in the animal safe antifreeze that doesn't kill pets when ingested. perfectly safe for moderate consumption. it's also an ingredient in antiperspirant/deodorant, as well as many other cosmetics... and as quoted on the following website, "There have been claims made that propylene glycol is an inappropriate ingredient for cosmetics and foods because it can also be used in products (such as antifreeze) which one would not want to consume. Such observations are well-intended but ultimately not very informative. It is ethylene glycol, for example, which is a more common ingredient in antifreeze and which is, in fact, highly toxic."

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/research/ingredients/ingredient-detail/propylene-glycol

Feel free to ingest crappy chemicals into your body. I choose not to.

You can do what you choose for yourself, but do not spout off ignorance. There are many products that are just fine to consume. You have no basis for saying this product is 'bad' unless you are a scientist that has researched the product.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    for a while now ive been down to 3 or 4 pops a week. i only drink diet coke. not a big pop fan, but i enjoy something with flavor.
    im trying to officially quit pop now and its tough! i live with people who dont want to quit pop, normally id just not have it in the house!

i drink the zero calorie powerade but i try to limit that to just for when i go to the gym, even though its cheap i dont need to be buying lots of bottles lol

i found this MIO stuff at the store and it seems healthy with zero calories and all, but my first thought is whats the catch? lol
    so far it tastes good and i dont feel the urge for soda. and its cheap and goes a long way.

every day i easily drink the amount of water i should be, but i am just a thirsty guy. i run a lot and lift a lot which makes me extra thirsty. i dont want my working out to go to waste if this MIO is making my water counterproductive

I quit all soda about 3 years ago. I too used Mio as a replacement, I used to drink a ton of it. These days I drink tea as my 'water'. I still use a pure liquid Splenda as a sweetener. If you are interested in that sweetener you can find it at http://sweetzfree.com/

Headaches and fatigue I had with soda have been gone since I detoxed from soda. It is bad stuff and I do not recommend anyone drink it. You body adapts to soda, so you do not realize how it is impacting you until you are totally free from it.
  • robshields
    robshields Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just because the FDA has said it's "considered safe" doesn't mean it is. They rely on studies by the food manufacturers themselves to make these determinations. The FDA and USDA leadership is also a revolving door of food industry executives, helping push BigAg's agenda.

15 of the most pointless foods in the supermarket: http://www.rodale.com/worst-food - Mio is first on the list.

If it's not coffee or water, I drink Jasmine Green Tea (Teas' Tea brand). Refreshing and nice light flavor.
    If you want bubbles, I recommend a seltzer bottle and you can by the CO2 cartridges in bulk.
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For the longest time, I hated water. HATED IT :mad: . Mostly drank milk, orange juice, root beer, cream soda, etc.

The turning point for me was when all the sugar turned on me and began making me sick. Though I still liked pop, I started off by switching to flavored water (like propel). At that point, I was still drinking mostly milk and juice. After starting work as a temp in a factory, they began handing out iced bottled water to the workers to keep us from dropping like flies in the heat during the summer. Its like it flipped a switch for me. Something about a bottle of ice cold water when you feel you're gonna die of heat does a lot for making you like it.

While I don't suggest taking a job in a factory, my advice would be to try different types of water. It sounds weird, but to me they taste different. There is a definite difference in the taste of filtered and tap (which usually has extra chemicals like chlorine in it). You can usually taste a difference between the types of filtered water too, based on what minerals they mix into it for flavor. If you don't like one, try a different one. My personal favorite is Poland Spring, though you may find you prefer Aquafina or your local generic grocery store filtered water.
  • Elle_Elle
    Options
    Years ago in my teens I quit soda, as I was drinking so much of it.. However, I replaced it with sweet tea. Over 10 years later (about 3 years ago) I picked it back up. I just liked it during a meal .If it wasn't soda it was sweet tea. I would drinnk a lot during the weekend to make a mixed drink and it was just getting to be too much. In the beginning of February I stopped cold turkey again and have not had any in 23 days. I have an app that counts up the days I have started doing something, so seeing that every day reminds me how far I've come when I want to drink a soda.

I stopped cold turkey, but I did have a hard time finding something else to drink. MIO flavored is nothing but junk to me. It leaves the worst aftertaste in my mouth and I find it revolting after a while. The MIO Energy was the same. It has pretty much what my B complex vitamin had. Instead, I started putting lemon in my water and a ton of ice. It gave the water flavor and had no sugar and was still pure water. Plus, lemon has great benefits as well for the system. I did this for quite a while and then just started drinking plain water. Now, I fill up a 96 oz jug at night and put it in the fridge to have first thing in the morning and I carry it with me all day. They also have these bottles where you can put fruit in it to infuse your water. I think fresh fruit juice in water is a great way to sub soda and sugary drinks, but really, lemon in water really helped also.

It's super hard giving up soda, but it has its benefits. For example, my cravings for sweets has really gone down a lot since stopping soda. I still eat a sweet hear and there, but when I do it tastes so super sweet that I won't eat it all. It takes some work, but once you get used to not drinking it you may get cravings, but you won't want to start drinking it and ruin your progress.

Elle
  • Wolfflet
    Wolfflet Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi! I try to avoid soda as well, and found that it's the carbonation that I like. If that might help you, there are several carbonated waters to choose from - Deer Park has a good lemon flavored one that is pretty inexpensive. Good luck!!
  • lulucat24
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM THINGS LIKE MIO AND OTHER SUBSTITUTES TO FLAVOR YOUR WATER. Seriously you are pumping your body with artificial everything and some very dangerous dyes and chemicals. Just drink the water, seriously, just drink the water. If you need different tastes, drink things like teas (A MILLION FRICKEN FLAVORS AND KINDS BOTH HOT AND COLD), black coffee(and i mean black not with sugar and cream), or carbonated water like pieere, I don't understand why people who are trying to get healthy, lose weight eating fake foods and substitutes that are passed off as "healthy" but trust me are far from. Don't fill your body with **** when you are trying to lose weight, put only good into your body and your body will look great!