BInging problem!

Options
I've been struggling to lose those last 10 lbs for about a year and a half. I usually lose a pound or two but then just as quickly gain it back. I'm so sick and tired of this. I am going to try planning all my meals and making them ahead of time. It's hard because I still live with my mother and she has a terrible habit of eating an entire pint of ice cream by herself several times a week. I know it shouldn't be a problem for me but when I see her eating all this unhealthy junk it makes me want to as well.

How to I motivate myself to stop binging? For example, today I really wanted something sweet so I made Coconut Macaroons and ate like half the batch...I need to stop. I keep saying I will but then I just do it again and again. I get a few good days but then go right back to overeating even when I'm not hungry.

I want to look good this summer, and I need to get away from this unhealthy habit. I think I'm starting to even gain back some more weight, and my jeans are fitting a bit tighter than before. I've said this a billion times, I just need to stop but don't know how.

Anyone have any tips that worked? Thanks!

Replies

• RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I do the same. I just can't stop sometimes. I get ravenous after lifting (or doing nothing) and eat 3000 calories some days. I wish I had advice. This seems to happen when I am within a few pounds of my goal as well. I am so close, and I just keep screwing up. We are going to Mexico in 57 days so I'd better pull it together.

Good luck <3
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    There's a little thing called willpower.

Get some.

And no, I'm not trying to be mean or nasty. I'm serious. If you want it badly enough, find the willpower to make it happen.
  • abcindy
    abcindy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you're craving something sweet, have some fruits instead. Identify what you're really craving for - its just for something sweet and need not be coconut macarons. :)
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I literally had to treat myself like a kid with this problem because it was so hard to get out of the binge mentality. I told myself 30 days without binges and I get to spend $20 on something frivolous. Ridiculous I know, but it worked. The longer you go without binging the easier it is.
  • earlswimsuit
    Options
    As a previous binge eater, I know what it's like to feel like you're out of control, and eat until you're way past full.

Determine your triggers and avoid them. Mine was my Dad offering me his foods on a Sunday afternoon.
    Eat a banana instead of that junk food because you can't take control of those foods.
    Occupy yourself by watching a good movie, going for a walk, sitting at the beach or doing your nails etc.
    Don't keep the trigger foods in your house. If you live with other people separate your foods from their food (or get a mini fridge!).
    Tell your friends/family about your healthy lifestyle so you have the added pressure to keep going.

And.........GET SOME SELF CONTROL!!! Good luck :laugh:
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Get some.

And no, I'm not trying to be mean or nasty. I'm serious. If you want it badly enough, find the willpower to make it happen.

It really does come down to that ^ in the end.
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've got a crazy sweet tooth, and find that when there is junk food in the house, I eat all of it in one sitting. My solution was just to get rid of all the junk food, so I couldn't eat ANY of it. But honestly, I've lost nigh on 8 lbs cutting WAY back on carbs and sugar.

Good luck!
  • fitnessfoodtravel
    fitnessfoodtravel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try to identify the triggers and avoid them! For me, when I get stressed out from work, I will binge so I try to go for a walk or gargle with Listerine.
  • fitfortrack1
    Options
    Wow thanks to all of you for your quick responses! I definitely need to just crack down on myself and make it happen, but you all have some great ideas.

Maybe I'll set a reward myself if I go 2 weeks without binging. Then 3 weeks, 4 weeks, etc. And instead of binging I'll paint my nails, go to the gym (even if the only thing I can get myself to do is walk on the treadmill, it's better than eating more food!!)

It tends to happen way more often on the weekends when I'm bored and that's even worse because I usually don't do much and wake up kinda late around 11 or 12...
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough good healthy nutritious whole foods and drink lots of water and you will be less likely to binge.
    I eat tons (within my calorie limits) of great healthy foods and it has cut down my bingeing to almost nothing and I was a huge binger-I mean entire cakes and cartons of ice cream and bags of fun size snickers and what about those buckets of Kentucky fried chicken? No more of this for me and I'm very satisfied with the eating I do now.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Get some.

^ This. It's about priorities. I too am not trying to be mean, just an honest opinion.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options

Get some.

Wow! Is that all we need? Can I buy some? Sorry it is not that simple.
  • magerum
    Options

Get some.

Wow! Is that all we need? Can I buy some? Sorry it is not that simple.

It really is that simple. Strengthen your mental relationship with food.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Try finding healthier sweets to keep around. I like to keep fruit leather or chili cilantro pistachios around. The former helps curb the sweet tooth and the latter allows me to snack for a long time without eating much (since I suck the chili cilantro off the shell, the deshell the nut and eat it before moving on to the next). Otherwie, it's going to take figuring out a way to shore up your willpower. Good luck.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

Get some.

~facepalm~

Binge eating can occur in response to a period of restricted food intake, emotional stress or for other reasons. It is not necessarily due to a lack of willpower.
  • magerum
    Options

Get some.

~facepalm~

Binge eating can occur in response to a period of restricted food intake, emotional stress or for other reasons. It is not necessarily due to a lack of willpower.

Willpower would conquer anything stated above. By definition alone.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
  • kaylaawillis
    kaylaawillis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Agreed. You need to have something that is more important to you than food. It could be being a healthier person, looking better, being able to wear certain clothes, being super toned...there are many reasons to eat healthy. When you feel a craving coming on, think about your goals (sometimes having inspirational pictures help) and what is more important. If you really want to reach your goals, that chocolate macaroon wont stand a chance.

I live in a house where there's chocolate and chips and other junk food laying around; but I can't think of this as an excuse to waiver off my diet. My goals are too important to me.

I'm not saying its easy. If it was there'd be no such thing as obesity.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything you put in your mouth? That motivates me quick smart.
  • magerum
    Options

Really? You're going to recommend a random author with no medical, nutritional, or formal education of any kind to the OP? Her goal is to sell her books that do nothing but paint sugar in a bad light. This is no better than promoting Dr. Oz.

How about some concrete scientific evidence. Here's a peer reviewed, scientific, study on sugar released just last week:

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2012-0322

Cliff notes:
    Consumption of sucrose and high fructose corn syrup does not increase liver fat or ectopic fat deposition in muscles. Translation: Don't blame sugar for liver disease, diabetes, or high cholesterol.

Willpower. If you want it bad enough you'll make it happen. I dropped 140 lbs in 7 months on pure willpower. No gimmicks, no surgery, no fad diet. I crafted a balanced plan, stuck to it without exception, and got blood labs drawn every 4 weeks to make sure I wasn't creating deficiencies with my diet plan. I now have a 4,200 calorie a day maintenance intake. You don't have to stop liking the food you want. You just might have to limit it or avoid it for a short period of time.

Good luck, try willpower "self-help" stuff if you really want to go the course of relying on non-credential holding individuals. The above referenced author's credentials are in "being nice".

You can do it if you want it. Go get it!