DAY OF REST?

lulabellewoowoo
lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Could someone(s) explain what a day of rest means as far as exercise? I use exercise as a means of relieving stress and helping with depression. find that if I don't exercise, it effects my mood, my perceptions, and my overall demeanor. So if anyone has any ideas or explanation concerning this, I'd love to hear them. Thanks :happy:

Replies

• My thought is that it is a day to rest your body if you have been working it very hard. I find my muscles can ache after 3 days of exercise so I just give them a rest to let the muscles heal a little. If you aren't getting aches and pains then you might not need such a rest day, but perhaps doing only 50% of what you normally do?
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    The amount of rest days depends on your current schedule. It is recommended to take at least one day per week to rest. During your workouts you actually create micro tears in muscles and tendons and put stress on joints and bones. Rest helps to repair these tears and stress and reduces any inflammation caused from working out. In other words, if you want to build a stonger better you then rest is important because without it you slow the bodies ability to grow stonger and you increase the risk of injury.
    A rest day is good for body and mind and will make your workouts stronger in the long run.
  • bizziebod
    bizziebod Posts: 18
    Having undergone a course recently in bi-polar I wouldn't recommend having a day off from exercise as your mental well being is just as important as your physical health, what I would suggest however is taking a bit easier one day a week if you can but one thing for sure do what feels right for you - I don't have a day off from exercise I just do less some days. Hope that helps!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    When I work out heavy for so many days in the row, sometimes my body shuts down when I try to exercise, i run out of ENGERY. That is when I know to take it easy. Sometimes I rest 2 days. I use the graph on the reports to see how many days in a row i went.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    If you're aching from exercising too much, you might try Yoga on your "day of rest". I love it so much. It's just basically stretching, strength, and breathing. I always feel so wonderful after I do it. If you don't need the rest and want to keep working out hard, it's fine. I personally need a day or two off every now and then.
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    Listen to you body. It will tell you if you need to slow down and rest.
  • cktb4him
    cktb4him Posts: 56
    My husband is a personal trainer and has me (I fight depression daily especially after the birth of each child...my youngest is 11months) workout different body parts each day so that the next day that muscle "rests". You can also do weight lifting on MWF and on TTHSa you could go for jogs. The main point he tells me is that I don't overtrain the muscles each day so give the muscles one day off and work an opposing muscle or cross train to work different muscles and not over work joints. I try to walk everday especially if it's sunny because that really really helps my depression. I do pilates, weight lifting, or something along those lines every other day. I find that walking or swimming are something that I can do everyday without having a "rest" day and weight lifting and toning I just skip a say and maybe do an extra walk that day. I hope that helps!! For me it's not an option to not exercise...:flowerforyou:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    depends on what you've been doing for exercise...most time it allows the torn muscles to rebuild and repair...I don;t like the thought of a rest day tho cause I tend to not want to start back up...lol so i make all my days equal in cardio work outs (not too strenous) and do alternating strength days...I alo like to mix it up and do some power 90 days...but it all depends on your body and how tired it feels
  • It sounds like maybe you would enjoy doing a little light yoga on your day off to help with your mood. I feel fabulous afterward. I would stay away from any sort of "power" yoga. I find that hard to do when my muscles are fatigued.
This discussion has been closed.