Sick days and exercise?

Options
Hello! This is my first time posting here. I hope this is the right place.

On days when you're sick, do you still exercise? Or is it bad to exercise when sick?

Also if you do exercise when sick, what kind of exercises do you use?

Replies

• sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about in online since I'm currently sick and every article pretty much says that you shouldn't push yourself and you shouldn't do anything too intense. For example, I usually walk 20,000 steps a day and do circuit training (Jillian Micheal's DVDs), but since I've been feeling like crap the past couple of days, I've only tried to at least get to 5,000 steps and I haven't done any circuit training because that's just too intense.

Here's a link that gives you more info: http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/exercising-when-sick
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Rest for sure.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've always stuck by the if its above your shoulders, workout. If its below, stay home. Works for me. Running often helps clear my head when I have a cold. Of course, if I am really run down, I just stay home.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar to this but allergies and exercising,but no one replied D: I know having allergies doesn't exactly constitute as being sick, but it feels pretty much the same but without a fever. Is it okay to exercise with seasonal allergies?
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely no expert but I think I would base it on how you actually feel. Maybe not do your normal high intensity workout (if thats what you do) but if you feel up to a walk or a bike ride, then I would think it would be fine.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on the person and how sick. For me, I have some chronic illness issues so I am best doing nothing when sick. Sometimes a short walk helps, but sometimes even a short walk makes me worse.

A little bit of moving is probably good/OK for most, but I wouldn't think it would be good for anyone to stress their body TOO much while sick, though.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I've had a cold since Saturday and I've done two workouts since then and plan another tonight. I'm fighting it - it's mind over matter!

My trainer says never exercise on a fever but just listen to your body.

E.g. this morning I took 2 hours extra in bed and I'm going to work out this evening instead,
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've always stuck by the if its above your shoulders, workout. If its below, stay home. Works for me. Running often helps clear my head when I have a cold. Of course, if I am really run down, I just stay home.

THIS.....
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    It depends on how sick. When I had the flu I took a week off. If I just feel achey and tired I'll usually still go.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    It depends on how sick. When I had the flu I took a week off. If I just feel achey and tired I'll usually still go.

I think it you *really* have the flu (as opposed to just a nasty cold) then you literally wouldn't be able to work out. You wouldn't be able to even get out of bed!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    It depends on how sick.
    THIS!
    But seriously...dont' go to the gym if you're at all (even possibly) contagious. Nobody needs your sick germs there...its bad enough already :sick:

Hope you feel better....
  • fosshage79
    fosshage79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If it's in your head... get out of bed, but if it's in your chest... stay in and rest!!!
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    If it's in your head... get out of bed, but if it's in your chest... stay in and rest!!!

I will remember this!
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar to this but allergies and exercising,but no one replied D: I know having allergies doesn't exactly constitute as being sick, but it feels pretty much the same but without a fever. Is it okay to exercise with seasonal allergies?

My Allergies are year round and I found that exercising with allergies helps alleviate the severity of them. So yes I would say go exercise with your allergies it really helps.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I would say rest is more important than working out. Your body got sick for a reason, and putting additional stress will only lower your immune system. Rest and get plenty of vitamin C (through fruits and veggies) to get better quicker, and when you're feeling better then get back to your workouts. You'll probably be more effective too if you are feeling at your best.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

My Allergies are year round and I found that exercising with allergies helps alleviate the severity of them. So yes I would say go exercise with your allergies it really helps.
    Same here...if I didn't workout when having symptoms of "season allergies"...I'd NEVER work out.