How many hours after exercising should I wait?

Options
How many hours after exercising should I waitt, before I try and get some sleep? a night owl, I hate exercising in the morning! But my mum says I can't or it'll hype me up before I go to sleep, how many hours do you think I should wait? x

Replies

• alexandrastaines
    Options
    anyoneeee?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I would think everyone is different! Try it out. If it keeps you awake, do it earlier the next day. What's the worst that can happen? You might just have a shorter nights sleep...
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    I too prefer to workout at night. I come home from the gym take a shower, eat and then lay down watching TV until I crash. Just remember not to eat any sugary foods or you'll have a hard time falling asleep.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I've exercised at night and slept well! In fact i am off to muay thai soon, starts 7.15 pm

Just give it a go ! Maybe give yourself couple hours to relax after

I am not a morning person but i get up at 6am and do a Jillian michaels workout, they are usually 20-35 mins depending on which one. Once u get in the habit it isn't too bad
  • alexandrastaines
    Options
    thanks everyone, helpful!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Just exercise after dinner, then go do something relaxing for a few hours and you should be good to go as far as bedtime and rest are concerned.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Exercising before you go to bed and not eating any carbs before you go to bed is probably the best thing to keep you looking younger.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I like to exercise at night too, actually I find it helps me go to sleep.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i can do intense workout that finishes around 9.30 and be in bed straight after my shower, however there has to be a fine line where I truely wear my self out, as if i just do 30 minutes moderate I have trouble sleeping as my mind is too awake!
  • skrafcky
    Options
    I know someone who can work out and go to bed. Me i have to workout 3 hours before i try to sleep because it wakes me up so.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It varies. I do my workouts after my fiance leaves for work, and he has night shift from 10pm to 6am. Sometimes I'm not all finished til 1 or 2 am. Depending how late I get started. Some nights it does keep me up, but other nights I get so wore out I just crash on the couch watching Netflix lol
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Depends. For examle i was so tired, laying on my bed at about 7 then worked out from 730-845 and now i cannot sleep for the life of me and its 2 am...id say about 3 hours..but it depends, sometimes ill workout at night and be so energized and awake, other times ill lay there and fall asleep after i shower and everything in about 2 hours.
  • RhiannonLeighh
    RhiannonLeighh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Whenever you feel tired, just make sure you eat a serving of protein around half an hour after a workout to ensure muscle recovery is at it's optimum.
    Eggs, lean skinless chicken breast, good quality lean steak, tofu, beans and lentils or a protein shake (low or no sugar, or course) should do the trick.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely say it's down to personal preference. I tend to do weights and strength training on a morning and jogging / walking on an evening as that seems to make me more tired, where the strength stuff seems to perk me up.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it really matters unless you are an elite athlete or training for some specific purpose.

Just do it. Exercising any time is better than not at all.

I get up at 5am weekdays to exercise, because that is when it's convenient. I am NOT a morning person, but that's when it suits my other commitments in life. I have to go to bed at 9pm most nights and sometimes I have a little nap on the way to work in the train. Who cares! As long as I fit it in.

Mothers do know best most of the time, but have a good old chat to her and explain your health goals and ask her to support you. How could she not? I'm a mum, I would understand.

Good luck!