Taste Buds Changing??

Options
maryann73
maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
Hey everyone. So, I've been trying to eat healthier since January. (Yes, I'm one of the New Year's Resollution people!) And I started out slowly. Haven't been eating hardly any fried food. Didn't eat that much to begin with but I did love my french fries and cream sauces. I noticed now that when I have a taste of something I used to love, it doesn't taste as good anymore. sad and happy about that at the same time! (Not really too sad though!) Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Are my taste buds really changing?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that too. Things that were sweet chocolatey goodness are now too sweet. Things that were yummy salty want to lick my fingers good are too salty. Things I didn't use to like are now better tasting. I had some natural applesauce last night with dinner and I never would have eaten without sugar or cinnamon was refreshing and naturally sweet. I'm starting to appreciate the healthy food for how it makes me feel and the way it tastes.
  • 1963chevy
    1963chevy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm also a New's Years resolution person (but it seems to be working this year!). I've found that sweets taste too sweet now. I haven't had hardly any pop (only a few sips of my husband's and yesterday, one of my own) since New Year's Eve and now when I have some, it is so sweet I always make a funny face when I drink it. I think that's a good thing, retraining your taste buds. Keep up with the good work!
    208936.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Jamis09
    Jamis09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes - this happened to me a few years ago when I was strictly eating "clean", even on my cheat days I only ended up eating raw veggies and clean protein. Whenever I wanted to splurge on pizza or french fries, I would eat a slice or a few fries and my stomach would feel bloated immediately. Eventually the urge to splurge also went away and eating clean really was a way of life (vs dieting).

As I said, this was a few years ago - since then I stopped working out as much and started eating more of those guilty pleasures. I think (for me) a lot of it has to do with the mindset while you are working out - you push yourself so hard to reach that next goal that the slice of pizza (or french fries) just aren't worth the sense of accomplishment you feel.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    That is a great "problem" to have!

I had a diet coke about 2 weeks ago and didn't finish it. It just made me want water.

I was way under on calories one day and decided to have one of my favorite deserts when we went out to eat. I sat there picking at it wondering why it used to seem so great. After eating half of it I felt sick the rest of the night.

My body is rebeling to crap!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I too have found this to be true as well. What is really strange is that with this professional dieter sitting here - I've never experienced it until working here with MFP. It must be the balance of nutrition that has actually reformed my taste bud! It's all I can figure but even if that isn't the case. I love it... :bigsmile:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! The girls at work eat out ALL the time and when they walk in with their burgers and fries everyone says 'oh that smells so good!' but personally all I can smell is grease overload. I'll stick with my fresh fruit and water I brought to snack on. :happy:
  • stylistchik
    Options
    The one thing I can't give up is chocolate, though!! I always have to have some semi sweet chocolate chips on hand for 'emergencies' haha
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    I notice it mostly with greasy foods (eating doughnuts is like eating straight crisco) but then I still eat too much salt. Our tatebuds get desensitized to certain "poisons" that we eat regularly and when we break free of thier grip the true taste of food can shine through. It is only the positive memory associations we have with those foods that would ever induce us to eat them again. :sick:
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I find that this happens firstly with salty foods--for me, it was pizza. As your body adjusts to a healthier diet, you'll crave processed foods less and less, too. My office had a store-bought cake a few weeks ago and I didn't touch it! I just waited for my afternoon snack I'd packed from home; half an organic apple with almond butter.

Good job for ditching the fried foods! That's a major step to retraining your brain!
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    The one thing I can't give up is chocolate, though!! I always have to have some semi sweet chocolate chips on hand for 'emergencies' haha

I have one dove dark promise piece(30 cal) at the end of the day and I don't get chocolate cravings anymore
  • stylistchik
    Options
    I was also reading an article (maybe it was on here?) about how children today don't think fresh food has any taste because they are so used to eating spaghettios, pizza and boxed mac and cheese and its so loaded down with chemicals and fake flavors that eating real food is bland. That made me so sad/angry!
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    Options
    Mine have changed also. Every once in a while I'll crave something that I don't eat that often because the taste has changed. After I eat it, I don't really feel like I've enjoyed it... I don't crave the sweets except here and there during TOM but mostly I don't want it anymore.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

I have one dove dark promise piece(30 cal) at the end of the day and I don't get chocolate cravings anymore

Great minds think alike. I allow for one or two dark promises in my calorie allowance. It is my sweet treat at the end of the day!
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yes, this happens. My husband and I went out to a nice steakhouse to celebrate last night and had steaks, potatoes, and broccoli--all wonderful. Then came the "mile high chocolate cake"--the six-layer behemoth. It was...just ok. I was not excited about it at all. It's in the refrigerator right now because we couldn't finish it.
    Prior to eating healthier, I swear I could have shoved that whole thing down myself, but not anymore. Too rich.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    For me it is the good stuff that is starting to taste better.

I ooh and ahh over things I wouldnt bother with when I was overeating.

Today I wouldnt waste the calories on a bacon cheeseburger w/ fries and a soda when I can have pasta sauteed in olive oil with asparagus and fresh parmesean, some french bread and a half a bottle of wine instead.

But that's just me :drinker: