Juicing

Options
I want to start juicing for breakfast and lunch. Does anyone have any good recipes of fruits/veg that go well together?

I also need recommendations for a cheap, yet reliable juicer. I haven't bought one yet.

Replies

• melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The problem with juicing is the expense. Getting a juicer is def. an investment; spend the money and get a decent one otherwise you are just wasting what you do spend.

Then you have the cost of produce [because it takes a lot of it]. So just keep those things in mind.

I like just blending fruits and spinach together. It's a little be easier and you can blend some oatmeal into it with some flax and it will make one hearty meal!
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I've just started drinking juices 2 weeks ago. I drink one for breakfast daily and then will have another as a pre-dinner snack on days where i either need the extra calories or just want the nutrition/energy boost. So far, I love it and it's been a great way to consume lots of fruits and vegetables.

Check out this website: http://myphytos.com/build It was passed along to me by other MFPers and I've found it very helpful for finding recipes but even more helpful for calculating the nutritional info for the juices I make. It's easy - you tell the website what ingredients you put in your juice and it tells you all the nutritional info you need to fill out your MFP diary. I've used this site to find some good recipes as well as create my own.

Ideally, you want your juices to be more veggies, less fruit since the fruit contains a lot of sugar and calories. However, fruit (or high sugar veggies like carrots) can be added to veggie juices to make them more tasty.

Some of my favorites that I've tried so far are:

"Jen's Green Juice" - Good veggie juice with enough apple/carrot to taste good!
    1 Apple
    2 Carrots
    4 Celery
    4 tsp Ginger Root
    2 cups chopped Kale
    10 sprigs Parsley
    2 cups chopped Spinach
    Makes ~31.2oz

"Dave's G.O. Juice"
    1 Apple
    2 Carrots
    2 Celery
    1 Cucumber
    2 cups chopped Kale
    Makes ~31.2oz

"Spinach Cucumber Celery Juice"
    1 Celery
    1 Cucumber
    2 cups chopped Spinach
    Makes ~14.4oz

"Carrot Apple Juice" - this one's a bit high on sugar but is delicious and great for a morning wakeup
    1 Apple
    4 Carrots
    Makes ~15.2oz

Basically, just find some recipes or just get some of the basic ingredients you see in recipes and try making your own. Good luck!
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Oh, and here's the juicer I picked up. Under $300 and it does everything I've need it to do. Juices all fruits/veggies including greens. It also makes nut-butters!

http://www.omegajuicers.com/juicer-8004.html?___SID=U
  • allymacary
    allymacary Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy a juicer, I just use my blender and roast or don't use dense vegetables or fruits. For instance, I did one with Kale once and it felt like I was chewing my drink so I mainly use spinach. I always do 1/2 cup of almond or soy milk, a cup of spinach and then switch out two different fruits. Today I used one banana (chopped up) and 1/4 c. of blueberries. You'll find you need to chop up fruits and sometimes use a little water to help the blender along. I've also used roasted sweet potato, chopped avocado, chopped apple, 1/4.c of overnight oats, PB, strawberries, roasted beets, the choices are endless.

I understand this isn't technically juicing but it's my cheaper alternative :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I want to start juicing for breakfast and lunch. Does anyone have any good recipes of fruits/veg that go well together?

I also need recommendations for a cheap, yet reliable juicer. I haven't bought one yet.

I just posted in the Recipe forum for the exact same question. Some good ones there and TONS on the Internet.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    PS - I have the Blendtec and like that much better than juicing. Less mess and better use of all of the fruits and veggies.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    if you want to keep all the fiber in the fruit and veg, try a nutribullet. if you want to have just the juice and nutrients (no fibrous material) i like my cuisinart. i got it from amazon for about $130. i've loved every cuisinart appliance i've owned. i would stay away from the lowest priced options; they may not get enough juice out of the fruit/veg. my cuisinart makes pulp that is a little moist, but not wet at all. we're starting to research ways to use the pulp (veggie meatballs, zucchini bread, and, this spring, for composting).

i love love love carrot juice and hate hate hate kale. we've been experimenting with swiss chard (less expensive than spinach, yummier than kale, still full of nutrients). i like to throw in carrots, chard, a cucumber if i have one, an apple or pear, and a little ginger or parsley. so far one of my favorites has been just carrots, apples, and ginger. very yummy.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a juicer online yesterday. Looking forward to trying it out this week. I'm similar to the OP in that I do not want to 'fast' as many people attempt to do with juicing. I think it will be a great on-the-go breakfast and snack option to get in tons of micro-nutrients though.
  • PRIMEJuicers
    Options

There are lots of recipes to choose from. I juice more vegetables than fruit. Too much pure fruit juice isn't good because it can spike your blood sugar. I dilute my fruit juice with purified water too and I juice probably 3 times as many vegetables as I do fruit. However, I almost always add an apple to my vegetable juice to make it more appealing. For me the easier the better so I stick to simple recipes most of the time. Carrots, spinach, romaine lettuce, beets, cucumber, celery, tomatoes, apples, oranges, watermelon and pineapple are what I use most. I'll also use lemon, lime and ginger to spice things up.

Juicing may be a little more expensive, but it's great for the body and buying organic isn't necessary. I buy the freshest locally grown when I can and I wash it really good. I don't think it's very expensive at all. A good blender that doesn't cost too much is the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juice Extractor. They have two different one's around $50 on Amazon. I wouldn't hesitate buying either Hamilton Beach to get started. I read a lot about juicing and one of my favorites newcomer books is Your Comprehensive Green Juicing Guide by Farnoosh Brock. It's a Kindle book sold on Amazon.

The difference between juicing and blending is simple. Juicing extracts the nutrients and enzymes from the fiber of the produce. This allows the body to absorb them better. Blending is great because you also get the fiber and it's more filling. Either way is good, but if you're interested in ever cleansing (detoxing), juicing is better. It gives the digestive system a break and time to heal.

I juice to get more fruits and vegetables into my diet. Studies show, only 20 percent of Americans eat five or more daily servings of fruits and vegetables. When I juice I consistently get between 5 and 9 servings per day and I'm much healthier for it. Enjoy the adventure and happy Juicing!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you consider inexpensive, but I have the Breville Fountain Juicer Plus from Bed Bath and Beyond and it's wonderful. It's $149, but I had a 20% off coupon and got it for $119.

Have you ever watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? I highly recommend it for starting out juicing. I'm not for juice fasting, but the movie is pretty great. Another good movie is Hungry for Change. Check out Rebootwithjoe.com for recipes.

My favorite is the green detox juice.
    1 green apple
    1/2 lemon
    1 inch ginger
    4 celery stalks
    1 cucumber
    4-5 kale leaves or 3 cups spinach

My advice is to make sure you use juicing to get your veggies in. It's so easy to fall into having fruits as your base and adding in one or two veggies. Veggies are always my base with one or two fruits.
  • wjrapp
    wjrapp Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you consider inexpensive, but I have the Breville Fountain Juicer Plus from Bed Bath and Beyond and it's wonderful. It's $149, but I had a 20% off coupon and got it for $119.

Have you ever watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? I highly recommend it for starting out juicing. I'm not for juice fasting, but the movie is pretty great. Another good movie is Hungry for Change. Check out Rebootwithjoe.com for recipes.

My favorite is the green detox juice.
    1 green apple
    1/2 lemon
    1 inch ginger
    4 celery stalks
    1 cucumber
    4-5 kale leaves or 3 cups spinach

My advice is to make sure you use juicing to get your veggies in. It's so easy to fall into having fruits as your base and adding in one or two veggies. Veggies are always my base with one or two fruits.

This^^I have the same juicer and love my green juice! I use a pink lady apple for a bit more sweetness! Have one every day...
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I bought a Jack Lalanne juicer at Costco for about $90 maybe 6 months ago and have been juicing daily since.

Today's juice is Beet with Greens, Carrots, Celery, Apple.

Check out the website RebootWithJoe.com and watch the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

There are a tons of juice recipes online, here are a few of my favorite green juices:

Garden Variety Juice
    2 Apples
    2 Cucumbers
    6-8 Kale
    Handful Parsley

Mean Green Juice
    1 cucumber
    4 celery stalks
    2 apples
    6-8 leaves kale (Australian tuscan cabbage)
    1/2 lemon
    1 tbsp ginger

Paradise Green Juice
    1 cup of fresh spinach
    3 leaves of Kale
    1/2 bunch of cilantro
    1 to 2 Carrots
    1 cucumber
    1 red Apple

Mexican Style Jugo – Juice
    2 large Cucumbers
    4 cups Cilantro, leaves and stems, roughly chopped and packed into the measuring cup
    1 Lime
    1 Poblano Pepper, ribs and seeds removed
    1 Golden Delicious Apple
  • BBinNC
    BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite juices is:

Gazpacho
    4 plum tomatoes
    2 stalks celery
    1 cucumber
    1/4 of a small onion
    generous handful cilantro
    1/4 of a jalpeno
    1 lime
    1 green pepper

I also really like a combination of apple, carrot and ginger for breakfast. With juice that has beet in it, I like to add some apple cider vinegar to give the juice a sweet and sour taste.
  • sheila219
    Options
    Hudson. I see what you mean... Ruby`s storry is good... last wednesday I got a great new Lotus Esprit after having made $5058 this last four weeks and-more than, ten thousand this past-munth. it's by-far the most rewarding Ive ever had. I started this 9-months ago and immediately started making a nice more than $70... per-hr. I use this web-site,, jump15.com
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump!