Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll bite.
    No, the idea of calories being the magic component to weight loss is not indisputable. All calories are not created equal. Our bodies recognise and need NUTRIENTS. With the correct nutrient intake our bodies can easily and quickly shed excess fat. It just means we have to stop listening to those who have a vested interest in keeping us fat, unhealthy and confused about nutrition - the weight loss industry, the pharmaceutical industry, and those who want us to buy their food. IT'S A MONEY GAME. I live in a country where farming and the dairy industry is the backbone of our economy so of course the government and nutrition 'experts' must continue to promote the drinking of milk as necessary for calcium... never mind we, a dairy nation, have an extraordinary high rate of osteoperosis, a bone disease caused by a lack of calcium.

Smart lady!

You bring up a good point. The problem with many is not the lack of calcium. It's the acidic diets that take calcium from the bones faster than you can replenish them. Of course it's better to eat clean and to not eat processed junk! Who in their right mind would disagree?

Basically with clean eating, you're making your calories COUNT.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Oh my God Evengizenetix. I didn't know that!! Come to think of it organic farmers probably use manure as fertilizer! GROSS.

I used to shovel horse manure into a wheel barrel, wheel it over to our garden and dump in on there.. then I had to spread it out. Later that same night we'd pick the veggies from said garden and have them for dinner.. Our secret? We *washed* the veggies prior to eating them.. Totally shocking. My brother and I got a perfect attendance award every year from school, cause we were never sick like all my peers. I'm sure that had nothing to do with it though.. *cough*

Oh yes.. compost.. we had a huge compost pile and that was used as fertilizer.. talk about stinky! LOL.

I know.. ewww.. .. we also raised our own chicken and pigs all summer long and then ate them all winter long. Guess where their poop went? lol. We fed them grain when we had to, and left overs from dinner and we had to pick up acorns and feed them to the pigs, we also got the old bread they were throwing out at the bakery and fed that to the pigs. Never name them. Eating Wilbur was tough that one year.. but man where those chops good! Oh our chickens were largely cage free (mostly cause they kept escaping thier pen and we finally gave up trying to catch them) before it was the buzz word, make finding thier eggs a challenge.. Kinda like a game of hide and seek, whoever got the most got first dibs on breakfast. LOL

Oh yum.. and the days I'd come hom from school to find a deer hanging from a tree *draining* my mouth would start to water! mmmm venison!! Oh yes.. and chickens really do run around after you lop thier heads off, that one gave me nightmares for a week!

Everyone on this thread just become vegan. LOL
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll bite.
    No, the idea of calories being the magic component to weight loss is not indisputable. All calories are not created equal. Our bodies recognise and need NUTRIENTS. With the correct nutrient intake our bodies can easily and quickly shed excess fat. It just means we have to stop listening to those who have a vested interest in keeping us fat, unhealthy and confused about nutrition - the weight loss industry, the pharmaceutical industry, and those who want us to buy their food. IT'S A MONEY GAME. I live in a country where farming and the dairy industry is the backbone of our economy so of course the government and nutrition 'experts' must continue to promote the drinking of milk as necessary for calcium... never mind we, a dairy nation, have an extraordinary high rate of osteoperosis, a bone disease caused by a lack of calcium.

Smart lady!

You bring up a good point. The problem with many is not the lack of calcium. It's the acidic diets that take calcium from the bones faster than you can replenish them. Of course it's better to eat clean and to not eat processed junk! Who in their right mind would disagree?

Suggested reading. Particulary the discussion.

http://64.251.27.164/Acid-Base Balance Articles/tucker.pdf
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I guess eating half a pizza was a bad idea :noway:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Oh my God Evengizenetix. I didn't know that!! Come to think of it organic farmers probably use manure as fertilizer! GROSS.

I used to shovel horse manure into a wheel barrel, wheel it over to our garden and dump in on there.. then I had to spread it out. Later that same night we'd pick the veggies from said garden and have them for dinner.. Our secret? We *washed* the veggies prior to eating them.. Totally shocking. My brother and I got a perfect attendance award every year from school, cause we were never sick like all my peers. I'm sure that had nothing to do with it though.. *cough*

Oh yes.. compost.. we had a huge compost pile and that was used as fertilizer.. talk about stinky! LOL.

I know.. ewww.. .. we also raised our own chicken and pigs all summer long and then ate them all winter long. Guess where their poop went? lol. We fed them grain when we had to, and left overs from dinner and we had to pick up acorns and feed them to the pigs, we also got the old bread they were throwing out at the bakery and fed that to the pigs. Never name them. Eating Wilbur was tough that one year.. but man where those chops good! Oh our chickens were largely cage free (mostly cause they kept escaping thier pen and we finally gave up trying to catch them) before it was the buzz word, make finding thier eggs a challenge.. Kinda like a game of hide and seek, whoever got the most got first dibs on breakfast. LOL

Oh yum.. and the days I'd come hom from school to find a deer hanging from a tree *draining* my mouth would start to water! mmmm venison!! Oh yes.. and chickens really do run around after you lop thier heads off, that one gave me nightmares for a week!

Pig *kitten* as compost is a bad idea. It is generally good practice to avoid it.

Trichinella_LifeCycle.gif

proof that sometimes local farmers don't know their *kitten*.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    EW. I DON'T WANT TO EAT POO.
    *dies* :laugh:
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Meat and potatoes are still clean. I love how Jillian Michaels put it... if it grew out of the ground or had a mother, go ahead and eat it. Like, stuff your great, great, great, great grandmother would have eaten before microwaves and Walmart.

I'm not a clean eater, but I can appreciate leaning towards cleaner foods where possible. Less processing... so cutting crackers, chips, bread, convenience stuff...

Love this.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

Pig *kitten* as compost is a bad idea. It is generally good practice to avoid it.

Trichinella_LifeCycle.gif

I seem to be alive.. and pretty darn healthy, so is all my family. And since we raised pigs and ate them every single year from when I was an infant to the year my father passed away. I'd say phooey on your nifty flow chart. Alll of my family and friends ate that stuff too. Since we'd also be raising pigs for them (often having 4 or 5 of them at once). Oh yes and veggies every year to this day.. well mom still does that.. I now live in an apartment 1500 miles away from her garden, so I use a co-op now, unitl i get my back yard anyway. You're also assuming my family doens't know how to cook pork. Ingestion of any undercooked meat is generally a bad idea and leads to bad things.

I forgot.. because the goverment says something is true it must be true.. Government never lies..my bad..
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I eat 'clean' the majority of the time. I cook my own meals from scratch and tend to avoid things with long ingredients lists. I dont really see it as a big deal because its something Ive gotten used to. I eat eggs and bacon with mushrooms for breakfast (maybe half an avocado, yum), snack on things like nuts, nut butter, fruit, cooked cold meat. Love cooking yummy dinners, like homemade curry, burgers, fish, etc.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Ahhahaha! All so true and such a good childhood. :) I think I love you.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

I seem to be alive.. and pretty darn healthy, so is all my family. And since we raised pigs and ate them every single year from when I was an infant to the year my father passed away. I'd say phooey on your nifty flow chart. Alll of my family and friends ate that stuff too. Since we'd also be raising pigs for them (often having 4 or 5 of them at once). Oh yes and veggies every year to this day.. well mom still does that.. I now live in an apartment 1500 miles away from her garden, so I use a co-op now, unitl i get my back yard anyway.

I forgot.. because the goverment says something is true it must be true.. Government never lies..my bad..

Are you trolling and pretending to be an ignorant pig farmer?

You are arguing that pig-manure on vegetables is the best practice of local farming, in a clean food thread where people are looking at local farmers to provide quality, low-disease risk food - your argument is that "goverment lies".

Doesn't get better than this. lol.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

I seem to be alive.. and pretty darn healthy, so is all my family. And since we raised pigs and ate them every single year from when I was an infant to the year my father passed away. I'd say phooey on your nifty flow chart. Alll of my family and friends ate that stuff too. Since we'd also be raising pigs for them (often having 4 or 5 of them at once). Oh yes and veggies every year to this day.. well mom still does that.. I now live in an apartment 1500 miles away from her garden, so I use a co-op now, unitl i get my back yard anyway.

Are you trolling and pretending to be an ignorant pig farmer?

You are arguing that pig-manure on vegetables is the best practice of local farming, in a clean food thread where people are looking at local farmers to provide quality, low-disease risk food - your argument is that "goverment lies".

Doesn't get better than this. lol.

"You're always gonna have problems lifting a body in one piece. Apparently the best thing to do is cut up a corpse into six pieces and pile it all together. And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig ****, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, 'as greedy as a pig!'."
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    ^^^ LMAO

I think that was a CSI episode.. LOL

Actually.. we used horse manure more than anything else. We had them year round and put the manure on the garden all year long. yea doing that while it's snowing was always fun. LOL

My argument is natural is better. ;~) and you shouldn't let government scare tatics dictate what you eat.

you can call me names if you want. The proof is in my healthy self and my entire family and friends who grew up eating that way. (learned it from my grandparents and thier family who are all into thier 90s now. yep.. so bad for us.)

Also, fruits can carry harmful insects that if ingested will kill us, esp those from other countries.... or at least make us very sick.. uh oh.. better stop eating fruit too. LOL
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    ^^^ LMAO

I think that was a CSI episode.. LOL

Actually.. we used horse manure more than anything else. We had them year round and put the manure on the garden all year long. yea doing that while it's snowing was always fun. LOL

My argument is natural is better. ;~) and you shouldn't let government scare tatics dictate what you eat.

you can call me names if you want. The proof is in my healthy self and my entire family and friends who grew up eating that way. (learned it from my grandparents and thier family who are all into thier 90s now. yep.. so bad for us.)

Also, fruits can carry harmful insects that if ingested will kill us, esp those from other countries.... or at least make us very sick.. uh oh.. better stop eating fruit too. LOL

Not CSI - here is another hint - "Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent"

Specious argument is specious. Your government or mine?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry all I'm saying is that I'm not terrifically comfortable with feces in / around my diet. I'll take inorganic fertilizers and pesticides any day! No offense to clean eaters.

edited to add: The movie was called Snatch, it was about a heist if I recall, and not about lady's parts or weightlifting.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Manure, bone meal, blood meal, and inorganic fertilizers are pretty much the only options. Life is dirty.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Manure, bone meal, blood meal, and inorganic fertilizers are pretty much the only options. Life is dirty.

So who wants a snack?
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PhoenixFitLife
    PhoenixFitLife Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Meat and potatoes are still clean. I love how Jillian Michaels put it... if it grew out of the ground or had a mother, go ahead and eat it. Like, stuff your great, great, great, great grandmother would have eaten before microwaves and Walmart.

I'm not a clean eater, but I can appreciate leaning towards cleaner foods where possible. Less processing... so cutting crackers, chips, bread, convenience stuff...

i would limit regular potatoes if you are trying to lose weight. Some would say that sweet potatoes are to white potatoes what brown rice is to white rice because regular potatoes have a higher glycemic index so you don't feel as full as long as you would with a sweet potato or yam
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Always amazes me the direction a topic can take.

OP...You don't have to make the change all at once. Just start to incorporate more whole fresh food into your menus and have less of packaged, processed stuff.

For example: instead of buying hamburger helper....buy some fresh ground meat, some veggies like oninon, peppers, and tomatoes, chop them up, brown the meat, simmer it all together while you cook some whole grain pasta . Put it all together. It probably takes 10 or 20 minutes more but the flavor and nutrients are awesome.

As for manure on gardens....Yes. It's the best fertilizer and has been used for thousands of years in all cultures of the world. I grew up eating veggies grown in a garden fertilized with chicken and horse poo. My Dad and Mom never needed a pesticide. Their crops were strong and healthy. If a few bugs showed up, they got picked off by hand. They canned and froze the crops we didn't eat right away and had that wonderful food all winter long. When my husband was alive we always had a garden too, no pesticides in there either. I wish I could still do it. If there are any strong younger people who want to get this garden going again you are welcome to come here.