Is the first week easier than the rest of the journey?

Options
Last wednesday it was my 'first week anniversary' of my new healthy eating and exercising. Stupidily, I rewarded myself with a chocolate. Then at dinner I ate everything I could grab.
I was so angry, but then I promised myself that this was only a bad moment, that the next day I would behave.
Since then I've been compulsively eating.
My problem seems to *always* be being extremely motivated on my first week and then I just give up. This time I don't want that to happen and I CAN'T allow that to happen. I'm tired of my bullsh*t.
I know I'm a walking cliche because of what I just decribed. I feel a little stupid for writing this when there are people here in MFP who have compromised themselves to lose 50 lbs and they kept that promise.
All I want to do is prove myself wrong.
I would love to hear from you: how difficult is being changing your lifestyle? Any advice?

I feel so stupid.

Replies

• Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. This happens to us all.The key is not to let it phase you. The main thing is that you still want to change. It isn't easy to start with , it's true, but it does get easier, and after a while you will get more used to eating healthily and won't feel the need to overindulge so often. How low were your calories? If you push it too hard then this can be the result. Don't be so hard on yourself, give yourself a cheat day once a week if that helps, then get back on the wagon again. You can do it!! I have been losing weight since June 2011. I have fallen off the wagon several times, most recently just before Christmas when I managed to lbs in a month. But I started again in January and have lost a good proportion of this already. Don't give up!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I can't remember my first week, but it's always easier when your motivation is fresh.

I've been at this for almost 14 months now and I find that I will always have easier days/weeks and harder days/weeks...sometimes months. What keeps me going is that after a hard/bad time period, I know I'll get back into the swing of things eventually again, maybe not the next day or the next week, but it will fall into place again because I know that my lifestyle changes are solid, and I have been able to crawl back onto that wagon more than couple times now.

And honestly, I think this is one of the huge advantages with losing weight slowly (some months I'd only lose 2-3 lbs., one month I gained). I don't know if I would still have this mindset if I had lost 50lbs. in 6 months.

My advice would be to stop regarding moments/days/weeks of overindulging as yourself failing, and look at them as minor setbacks. And never doubt yourself because that is the first step to not achieving what you want.
  • alitap
    alitap Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    oh yesh! i feel the same, the first week was soo much more easier, now that im mid-way there....i keep falling off my diet/healthy eating evry other day BUT i tell myself that tomorrow shall be better. I binged today as well...but tomorrow shall definitely be a new beginning :)
  • WaimanaloMan
    WaimanaloMan Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I found the first week difficult because I wasn't used to eating in a balanced way. I used to eat loads of healthy food like pasta, but never recognized that they were also loaded with calories too. The more knowledge you obtain, and retain, the easier it will become to make weight loss, exercise and healthy living part of your routine. It has been said somewhere, that if you repeat something for a certain amount of time, it becomes a habit, I have found this to be true with exercise, balanced eating and healthy living. Two things I would recommend if you don't already have them, are a kitchen scale so you can accurately weigh portions, and a heart rate monitor so you can have an accurate estimation of calories burned during exercise. Both of these were a huge help to my wife and I.

Don't lose heart, stay focused and you can totally do this. When people ask me how I lost weight, I tell them willpower and knowledge are your best friends, there really isn't a gimmick to this. Good luck and have fun!