Why can't anyone agree on this?!

Options
Everywhere I turn on these boards I am finding conflicting posts and arguments as to whether you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories or not. I am so confused? Does anyone have any sources from outside the message boards will solid information on this?
I am worried by eating them back I am defeating the point but then also worried by not eating them back I am creating too large of a deficit!

Replies

• 012345emma
    012345emma Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    personally i eat back some of the calories but not all of them.what i suggest is that you eat them while your losing but as soon as you see your weight loss slow down or stop eat back fewer :smile:
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Its personal to you I think. I tried both ways and and found both worked for me. If im hungry I eat say 75-80% back, if not then I dont, but might eat a little extra on the weekend.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    If you google 'should I eat back my exercise calories' you will again be faced with link after link of conflicting information.

At the end of the day it's what works well for you. MFP already creates a deficit so you can lose weight, so technically you should be eating those calories back. However, MFP can overestimate calorie burns, so I'd recommend a HRM.
  • JessTheApple
    Options
    Eat half, problem solved, lol. :flowerforyou:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    OK - forget about the message boards and forget about everything that people say.

NOW

Think about the app/website you are using - MFP

You input all your data into the system and it comes up with a calorie goal for you to eat to achieve the weight loss you asked for.
    When you exercise you also log this and MFP then re-adjusts your calorie goal for the day for you to eat to achieve the weight loss you asked for.

Why do you think that the MFP system does this - just to confuse us? for the fun of it?

Try this out all for yourself instead. When your day is finished and you click on the bottom to complete, if you have eaten near your calorie goal it will give you an anticipated weight in 5 weeks time, which will be what you asked for. Now add in your exercise and click to finish again and HEY it suddenly will give you an anticipated weight loss of much more than you asked for.

In other words MFP has already created your deficit to lose the weight you asked for within the initial calorie goal. It doe not take into account exercise and the amount of fuel your body needs to perform that exercise until you log that you do it. This is why it adjusts your calorie goal for the day. Remember that the word GOAL is something we always aim for, not something we avoid or intentionally try to miss.

If you are using MFP, method then you should follow that method and eat the amended calorie GOAL or as near as you can.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1700, don't eat them back unless I'm hungry or feeling weak. Until around 15lbs ago I ate 1400 and did the same. I feel better doing it at 1700 though. It has worked for me very well. You have to work out what works for YOU. Maybe try eating 50% back and see how you feel.
    Zara
  • talilakay2
    talilakay2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat them, or at least most of them. And i'm still losing!

The reason is, that to lose weight you eat under your maintenance calories. if you exercise, you're creating a bigger gap. So by eating them back, you're ensuring that you stay around your recommended cut.

My maintenance is around 2100 on a basic day, i've cut this to 1800. This is a healthy cut. If i workout and burn another 400 calories, my cut then becomes 1400. This is too low, therefore I eat them back.

This will work, unless you have calculated your TDEE (maintenance) to include your weekly exercise, in which case you won't need to eat them back.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    OK - forget about the message boards and forget about everything that people say.

NOW

You input all your data into the system and it comes up with a calorie goal for you to eat to achieve the weight loss you asked for.
    When you exercise you also log this and MFP then re-adjusts your calorie goal for the day for you to eat to achieve the weight loss you asked for.

Why do you think that the MFP system does this - just to confuse us? for the fun of it?

Try this out all for yourself instead. When your day is finished and you click on the bottom to complete, if you have eaten near your calorie goal it will give you an anticipated weight in 5 weeks time, which will be what you asked for. Now add in your exercise and click to finish again and HEY it suddenly will give you an anticipated weight loss of much more than you asked for.

In other words MFP has already created your deficit to lose the weight you asked for within the initial calorie goal. It doe not take into account exercise and the amount of fuel your body needs to perform that exercise until you log that you do it. This is why it adjusts your calorie goal for the day. Remember that the word GOAL is something we always aim for, not something we avoid or intentionally try to miss.

If you are using MFP, method then you should follow that method and eat the amended calorie GOAL or as near as you can.

Yeah all this! If following MFP calorie guide then YES you should eat them back (maybe leave a few for any "over estimating" that MFP can do). It's just how this site works as it has already created the deficit needed for you to lose the amount of lbs per week you selected.

Other diet plans work differently so don't look to them for guidance when using MFP.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry. Exercise regularly. It's different for everyone.

I personally don't make any effort to eat my calories back. I eat until I'm satisfied, and then go about with whatever i planned for the day.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Everywhere I turn on these boards I am finding conflicting posts and arguments as to whether you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories or not. I am so confused? Does anyone have any sources from outside the message boards will solid information on this?
    I am worried by eating them back I am defeating the point but then also worried by not eating them back I am creating too large of a deficit!

Read this...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    To be honest while I was losing I very rarely ate back my calories. I ate when I was hungry and it worked for me. It is a personal choice, just do what you feel most comfortable with.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

NOW

Exactly. If using MFP follow the program and eat your calories. If using an alternative, like the TDEE - 20% method, then don't eat them back. I've had great success and a couple easy years of maintenance so far using the MFP method.
    :drinker:
  • BubblesxDear
    Options
    I'm confused about the whole thing too. After i sync my Fitbit and I have calories I can eat I don't eat them because I'm not hungry. I guess if you're hungry after exercise but don't eat them for the sake of it.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Thank you! This makes sense to me now.... kind of! Haha, I am also confused with people telling me 1200 calories is too low but if I am eating more like 1500-1600 and then exercising so burning 400-500 calories per day it seems like I am on the right track!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Thank you! This makes sense to me now.... kind of! Haha, I am also confused with people telling me 1200 calories is too low but if I am eating more like 1500-1600 and then exercising so burning 400-500 calories per day it seems like I am on the right track!

Yes this is good just make sure you don't exercise so much you go below your BMR.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    My net goal is 1200 but I rarely eat that little and exercise. One week I created a bigger deficit because I'd had norovirus and didn't want to eat caused me all kinds of problems the following week because when I started exercising again my body and muscles were all underfuelled.

What I love about MFP is I put in my food, put in my exercise and then when I log in it gives me a big target number at the top of calories left.

I am losing ~2lb per week at the moment. However, I am using a HRM for my calories burned because MFP is not accurate for me (sometimes its estimates are over, sometimes under, depending on the exercise I'm doing)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

No problem.

Part of the confusion is because of the different way calorie calculators are set up. Most calorie calculators include planned exercise in their calculation and give you a fixed number to aim for very day (so you would not eat back exercise calories.

MFP is different as it does not include it so you would eat them back.

In reality it roughly comes to the same thing.

Re: the difference between 1,200 calories created purely through reducing food intake so eating more but then exercising it off I could give you a long, and rather boring, reply about long term energy and nutrient availability.

I wouldn't worry about it. Pick a reasonable method. Stick with it. Assess after 4 weeks. Adjust as necessary. The process is a lot simpler than people make it out to be...
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I eat back some of my exercise calories if not then you are starving your body and it tries to hold on to any fat stores it has and once you've depleted that it goes for muscle.
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    I usually eat mine back,might leave 100 cals left tho :)