Progress so Far

Options
Hi All

First time post for me, just wanted to share with you my progress so far on my weight loss journey.

I am a 50 year old Brit with a sedentary job which also includes a fair amount of travelling/staying in hotels and eating out at restaurants with clients etc. I have steadily gained weight since I was 25 when I was 11 stone (154Lb) and fit as a butchers dog. With a happy marriage, family and increasing prosperity I gradualy began to gain weight and never really stopped, I tried Scottish Slimers which worked for a while and then Weight Watchers which also worked for a while before I got bored and fed up. As of this summer my health was suffering with high blood pressure, borderline high colesterol and various aches and pains which I now attribute to being obese.

One of my work mates told me about MFP and as I had recently gotten an iPhone I thought I would give it a try, I started tracking at 276lb (19 Stone 10) in mid Agust last year, as of last Friday I was 214Lb or 15 stone 4lb with a loss of 62LBs so far. My target is to reach 182lb or 13 stones and then see how I feel as I am older now and do not want to go too far and end up looking too old and haggard. At 182 Lb I will have a BMI of 25.4 and will be still (just) classed as overweight as I am only 5ft 11" tall, If I feel I could still loose more I will then try for 175 lbs (12 stone 7lbs) which would take me down into the normal range with a BMI of 24.4.

I have done this basically by myself with good support from my fantastic loving wife (she never cared what my size was but loves the new me) and my family, there is no silver bullet or majic trick, just determination, belief and tracking as well as incorporating sensible exercise into my life (I am a walker dont do weights or shreds or anything like that). Even so the weight has come off pretty steadily averaging 2-3lb per week. I plataued a bit over Christmas as I relaxed a little and enjoyed the festivities with my family but got straight back on it again oce Boxing day was over.

I recently had two significant NSVs I wanted to share with you, firstly, I went for my 6 monthly blood pressure check on my 50th birthday in January and my BP has come down from 150/90 to 124/80, my doctor expects me to be able to come of the BP meds by the next check up in June if I keep this up, and just this week I have gone from an obese BMI to just overweight BMI and I am delighted with both of these.

I have come down several sizes in all of my clothes and can wear jeans again and snug shirts, I feel great and think I look pretty good too. So I am now reaping the rewards of my hard work and detirmination. The reaction of people when they see me who I have not seen since I lost this weight is also very gratifying, I hope this inspires other to achieve what can seem to be impossible, like many other posters on here have said, if I can do it anyone can.

I intend to contine to target (sometime around June/July this year hopefully) and then continue with my exercise and maintenence using MFP, I will never go back to my old ways and bad habbits of the past and I am looking forward to a much longer, healthier life with my wonderful wife.

Replies

• kiwigal7
    kiwigal7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Thats fantastic, Im working on similar results now. Here's to being healthy :))
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome!! Great job on losing the weight and staying motivated.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!